Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Conference Realignment
Bookmark and Share
BeatWestern! Offline
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
Conference Realignment
Braces yourselves, it's about to get crazy in conference realignment!

C-USA is reportedly going to get carved up!
09-10-2021 01:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
RE: Conference Realignment
(09-10-2021 01:49 PM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  Braces yourselves, it's about to get crazy in conference realignment!

Between the Belt and AAC?
09-10-2021 02:04 PM
cmufanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: cmu chippewas
(09-10-2021 01:49 PM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  Braces yourselves, it's about to get crazy in conference realignment!

What do you think MAC does BW?
09-10-2021 07:01 PM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
(09-10-2021 07:01 PM)cmufanatic Wrote:  

Nothing......
09-10-2021 08:32 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
(09-10-2021 08:32 PM)utpotts Wrote:  
(09-10-2021 07:01 PM)cmufanatic Wrote:  

Nothing......
Seeing no seats available with the MAC, if CUSA is carved up enough to offer a FB only, UMass will accept.
09-12-2021 08:25 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(09-10-2021 02:04 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  

Sure, just like the Big12 was going to get carved up by the Big Ten, PAC12, ACC and AAC.
09-13-2021 09:49 AM
Advertisement

BeatWestern! Offline
All American

(09-13-2021 09:49 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  

Sure, just like the Big12 was going to get carved up by the Big Ten, PAC12, ACC and AAC.

Bruce, I'm quite sure you realize that when speaking of the Big XII and C-USA, one is not like the other when it comes to the potential of being carved up.
09-13-2021 02:29 PM
freshtop Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU
I don't think anything is imminent or even likely, but I have seen the MAC listed as a parachute home for WKU if C-USA is decimated by the AAC/SBC and C-USA is no longer viable. I have a healthy respect for the MAC, but I know that WKU (and MTSU if they were a partner add) have always identified more with the Southeast than the Midwest/North. I think it could work out to everyone's benefit, but I don't know that it is a match made in heaven.
09-13-2021 03:14 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(09-13-2021 03:14 PM)freshtop Wrote:  I don't think anything is imminent or even likely, but I have seen the MAC listed as a parachute home for WKU if C-USA is decimated by the AAC/SBC and C-USA is no longer viable. I have a healthy respect for the MAC, but I know that WKU (and MTSU if they were a partner add) have always identified more with the Southeast than the Midwest/North. I think it could work out to everyone's benefit, but I don't know that it is a match made in heaven.

A MAC with WKU is going to have better basketball than the SBC and its monster FB expansion they are planning. Lower travel costs in general too.
09-13-2021 04:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
freshtop Offline
All American

(09-13-2021 04:01 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  
(09-13-2021 03:14 PM)freshtop Wrote:  I don't think anything is imminent or even likely, but I have seen the MAC listed as a parachute home for WKU if C-USA is decimated by the AAC/SBC and C-USA is no longer viable. I have a healthy respect for the MAC, but I know that WKU (and MTSU if they were a partner add) have always identified more with the Southeast than the Midwest/North. I think it could work out to everyone's benefit, but I don't know that it is a match made in heaven.

A MAC with WKU is going to have better basketball than the SBC and its monster FB expansion they are planning. Lower travel costs in general too.

Agreed, basketball would be in a better place than the SBC or even current C-USA. In football, most of our recruiting happens in the southeast (TN, GA, FL). We do pull in some guys from OH, but not much. We would have to do some creative OOC scheduling to maintain a presence in those areas.
09-13-2021 04:12 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(09-13-2021 04:12 PM)freshtop Wrote:  
(09-13-2021 04:01 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  

Agreed, basketball would be in a better place than the SBC or even current C-USA. In football, most of our recruiting happens in the southeast (TN, GA, FL). We do pull in some guys from OH, but not much. We would have to do some creative OOC scheduling to maintain a presence in those areas.

One of the Florida schools could be thrown in as part of the combo.

Could go 3 east-1 west

Illinois State
Western Kentucky
Middle Tennessee
Florida Atlantic

Just to dust off CUSA and punch MVC in the gut.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2021 04:32 PM by Kit-Cat.)
09-13-2021 04:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

kreed5120 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron
Nothing against any of these C-USA schools, but I don't see how mathematically adding any of them puts MAC schools in financially a better place. Sure if Buffalo got poached then a school like WKU or Marshall would make an excellent replacement. Expanding to 14 or 16 teams is just more mouths to feed.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2021 05:13 PM by kreed5120.)
09-13-2021 05:12 PM
cmufanatic Offline
1st String

Only in favor of expansion if the TV contract will be improved otherwise I agree more teams = less money
09-13-2021 05:22 PM
freshtop Offline
All American

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/wku/

It looks like we have a fair bit of MACtion in the upcoming seasons one way or another. Look forward to seeing our teams play on the field.
09-13-2021 05:45 PM
BeatWestern! Offline
All American

(09-13-2021 05:22 PM)cmufanatic Wrote:  Only in favor of expansion if the TV contract will be improved otherwise I agree more teams = less money

Bingo! Remember, ESPN is very much involved in this G-5 realignment.
09-14-2021 07:30 AM
cmufanatic Offline
1st String

(09-14-2021 07:30 AM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  
(09-13-2021 05:22 PM)cmufanatic Wrote:  Only in favor of expansion if the TV contract will be improved otherwise I agree more teams = less money

Bingo! Remember, ESPN is very much involved in this G-5 realignment.

Yes! So hopefully mac leadership has an exploratory committee that have or will go to ESPN and inquire if we add x teams would this increase the TV contract. Going to be interesting I think how this all shakes out
09-14-2021 07:53 AM
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(09-13-2021 02:29 PM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  
(09-13-2021 09:49 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  

Bruce, I'm quite sure you realize that when speaking of the Big XII and C-USA, one is not like the other when it comes to the potential of being carved up.

I'm just saying that the "the conference will be carved into oblivion with the help of a conference of lower budget schools below them on the totem pole" prediction is getting recycled for the second time in the same realignment wave.

The next time sh!t rolls uphill like that in conference realignment will be the first time. It's not strictly speaking impossible, but it's rolled downhill for all the realignments I've seen so far.
09-14-2021 11:18 AM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(09-14-2021 11:18 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  I'm just saying that the "the conference will be carved into oblivion with the help of a conference of lower budget schools below them on the totem pole" prediction is getting recycled for the second time in the same realignment wave.

The next time sh!t rolls uphill like that in conference realignment will be the first time. It's not strictly speaking impossible, but it's rolled downhill for all the realignments I've seen so far.

Are you saying there is much difference between Conference USA and the Sun Belt at this point?
09-14-2021 11:26 AM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
FYI - Created a poll on UMassHoops to se what the non football specific fans think. Gave 5 options, Stay Independent and Hold out for a Sun Belt FB offer hope have received ZERO votes. Wait for the right G5 all Sports Conference received the most votes. Currently tied are: Hold out for a AAC FB only hope, Accept a weaken CUSA, and Accept MAC. Just created this and will be interesting over the year to see how it evolves and see the thread posts. but someone asked why the MAC will be more inclined to look somewhat positively this time around.

e-parade:
Quote:The only difference now would be UCONN also doesn't have a home for football, and would be an even more desirable get for Basketball home and home schedule than either Temple or UMass ever were. So if they decide to expand back east again it would be because of that.

Not counting on it though, unless something drastic happens. The most likely drastic thing that would happen that could lead to a FB only invite would be CUSA being torn to shreds.

My comment:
Quote:Rolling Ridge will say in part what-parade has said. That we have made significant improvements to our facilities, aka IPF, videoboard and recruiting and roster are trending upward. Then for the slight chance that Buffalo is invited to the AAC, we'd be a quick plug in and it's easier to have an unbalance schedule in other sports for the MAC.

Will also note that considering our future schedule, it would be the easiest for us to adjust.
https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/umass/

https://www.umasshoops.com/newboard/view...=2&t=16601
09-14-2021 12:13 PM
epasnoopy Online
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
How many FBS schools hold FB only conference invites at this current time? I'm assuming none. I don't see any of the G5 conferences doing FB only invites. That way has spurned the MAC three times with UCF, Temple, and UMass. Anyone hoping to get conference invites should expect to have to play all sports unless your football program is a Boise State-like powerhouse.
09-14-2021 12:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.