Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Impact of the Big12 on Olympic and Non-revenue Sports
Bookmark and Share
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
Impact of the Big12 on Olympic and Non-revenue Sports
I'm a fan of UC baseball, great place to see a game and the tickets for individual games are very reasonable. Last year I believe season tickets were $50 per. The Big12 has some excellent baseball schools so I imagine UC's program will be able to attract better recruits and earn more revenue.

What other sports might be positively impacted?

09-09-2021 11:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
RE: Impact of the Big12 on Olympic and Non-revenue Sports
Pretty much all of our women’s sports. We were headed down that path anyway- the school has been investing a lot more into these programs. I have to think Jordan Thompson’s performance at the olympics will make a splash on Molly Alvey’s recruiting for the volleyball program. I think women’s hoops will continue to ascend.

As an anecdote, I was talking to a business partner who is a former female MAC all-conference athlete from the 90s. She is from the Cleveland area. She told me she is amazed at UC’s rise which has come out of seemingly nowhere to here. A lot more Cleveland area kids choosing to go to UC than she recalls. She is planning on visiting soon with her son.

09-09-2021 11:18 AM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
(09-09-2021 11:18 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Pretty much all of our women’s sports. We were headed down that path anyway- the school has been investing a lot more into these programs. I have to think Jordan Thompson’s performance at the olympics will make a splash on Molly Alvey’s recruiting for the volleyball program. I think women’s hoops will continue to ascend.

As an anecdote, I was talking to a business partner who is a former female MAC all-conference athlete from the 90s. She is from the Cleveland area. She told me she is amazed at UC’s rise which has come out of seemingly nowhere to here. A lot more Cleveland area kids choosing to go to UC than she recalls. She is planning on visiting soon with her son.

Our new neighbor when I met her said "Are you a big UC fan?"

I said "I guess you saw the flag"

She said "I am a school guidance counselor and UC is the hottest school"

09-09-2021 11:34 AM
Advertisement

Z-Fly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
UC has been a sleeping Giant for a long time. Growing up in the most northern part of Colerain, it was just as easy to drive north on 27 as it was to drive south on Colerain Ave. I picked Miami, because it seemed like they had their **** together much better at the time. 20 Years later that's all changed. UC has figured it out, it seems. You guys should be proud.

I work in Blue ash now. I'm considering going next door and signing up to enter the MBA program.

09-10-2021 05:39 AM
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(09-09-2021 11:18 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Pretty much all of our women’s sports. We were headed down that path anyway- the school has been investing a lot more into these programs. I have to think Jordan Thompson’s performance at the olympics will make a splash on Molly Alvey’s recruiting for the volleyball program. I think women’s hoops will continue to ascend.

Over the years, UC has expanded its Ohio student recruitment. Maybe 3,000 students come from the Cleveland/Akron area. Another 3,000 or so from the Columbus area.

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2021 08:35 AM by BearcatsUC.)
09-10-2021 08:30 AM
Advertisement

BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

(09-10-2021 05:39 AM)Z-Fly Wrote:  UC has been a sleeping Giant for a long time. Growing up in the most northern part of Colerain, it was just as easy to drive north on 27 as it was to drive south on Colerain Ave. I picked Miami, because it seemed like they had their **** together much better at the time. 20 Years later that's all changed. UC has figured it out, it seems. You guys should be proud.

I work in Blue ash now. I'm considering going next door and signing up to enter the MBA program.

I attended Miami in the early-mid-90’s and found it to be well-run compared to UC. I attended UC again around 2005 and discovered the school had improved its attitude and was so much better. I can’t deny that my first go-round at UC in the early 80’s really sucked. It was a different school then.

09-10-2021 08:34 AM
Bruce Monnin Online
Hall of Famer

Back in the 80's it seemed the engineering department was overrun with students from the Cleveland area. They said it was the furthest they could get away from home and still pay in-state tuition. Always thought UC should have pushed that angle a bit.

09-10-2021 09:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OKIcat Offline
Heisman

Even for ever modest Cincinnatians, this should be a day of boasting, bragging, and chest pounding. Basically, being as obnoxious as your typical UK or OSU fan is on a daily basis.

For every alum, student, faculty, staff, friend, season ticket holder or fan who loves the Bearcats, it's our day to shine. I'll be surprised if Athletics doesn't have special t-shirts for the student section prepared for tomorrow; more surprised if the students don't come with their own poster creations. Nippert should be electric--even with an FCS opponent.

In recent years, I've really come to respect the ROI UC has attained with ranked football and basketball teams and beautiful facilities on a comparatively meager budget. The future is indeed bright.

09-10-2021 09:41 AM
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

I think modesty is the way of the Cincinnati sports fan because, the minute you get cocky, you get smacked in the face. We'll just celebrate the way we usually do...guarded optimism.

09-10-2021 09:53 AM
Advertisement

geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

I Root For: Binturongs
Track and Field is going to be amazing. BYU was #1 at one point last year, Houston and Iowa State finished in the Top 10, and Okie State and Baylor were each ranked. Okie State has won three (and BYU one) cross country titles in the past decade or so.

09-10-2021 10:24 AM
Bcatbog Offline
1st String

I Root For: U of Cincy
(09-10-2021 09:30 AM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  Back in the 80's it seemed the engineering department was overrun with students from the Cleveland area. They said it was the furthest they could get away from home and still pay in-state tuition. Always thought UC should have pushed that angle a bit.

I attended UC engineering from the Cleveland area in the Greg Cook era. The Co-Op program was the attraction. There were four of my high school class in UC eng. I think all four of us made it. Throughout my career I constantly heard “UC has a good engineering school when I said where I went to school. And, back then we needed like 218 quarter hours to graduate.

09-10-2021 10:43 AM
Bruce Monnin Online
Hall of Famer

(09-10-2021 10:43 AM)Bcatbog Wrote:  
(09-10-2021 09:30 AM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  Back in the 80's it seemed the engineering department was overrun with students from the Cleveland area. They said it was the furthest they could get away from home and still pay in-state tuition. Always thought UC should have pushed that angle a bit.

I attended UC engineering from the Cleveland area in the Greg Cook era. The Co-Op program was the attraction. There were four of my high school class in UC eng. I think all four of us made it. Throughout my career I constantly heard “UC has a good engineering school when I said where I went to school. And, back then we needed like 218 quarter hours to graduate.

And you had to survive flunk out courses, back when colleges took pride in it being hard to survive their programs, instead of now where they are graded by how high the success rate is. It has been a fascinating change to watch.

09-10-2021 12:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.