Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Does UC Start Adding Sports?
Bookmark and Share
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Does UC Start Adding Sports?
Since some of you are already spending newfound B12 money, I got to wondering if UC expands its sports offerings. For example, I believe wrestling is pretty big in the B12. I know I’ve seen B12 women’s softball. on tv. Men’s tennis? Women’s rowing?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_12_Conference

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_Bearcats

09-08-2021 09:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

RE: Does UC Start Adding Sports?
After posting this I read more and found that only 4 b12 schools carry wrestling, but apparently other 11 schools like Air Force compete in B12 wrestling? I dunno. I’m guessing little changes.

09-08-2021 10:15 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
I would be surprised based on all the cuts that were made during COVID across Division I. I would rather UC enhance what we have, and in particular, the football stadium and IPF.

09-08-2021 10:19 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
On the flip side, the Big XII does not sponsor men's soccer... They do sponsor women's soccer, but not men's.

I think the obvious sport, if UC were to add one, is Softball. Relatively small budgets, no Title IX implications...

09-08-2021 10:25 PM
icecat21 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Cincinnati
The next sport to be added without any doubt has to be ice hockey, both men's and women's. A great sport for gender equity, because it is expensive. 05-stirthepot[/align]The University needs a first class ice arena and best in class hockey program. This is the only other sport that can actually create revenue for the university. The Big 12 will not be a factor for this sport, however.[align=center]

09-08-2021 10:32 PM
Advertisement

OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(09-08-2021 10:25 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  On the flip side, the Big XII does not sponsor men's soccer... They do sponsor women's soccer, but not men's.

I think the obvious sport, if UC were to add one, is Softball. Relatively small budgets, no Title IX implications...

Bolded, curious in light of UC's decision to eliminate men's soccer some time ago. Were wheels already turning behind the scenes for Big 12 expansion when that decision was made?

My first inclination would be to not add any sports immediately but provide some additional funding to baseball. We have first class facilities and a promising team in what will be a very good P5 baseball conference.

09-09-2021 06:42 AM
BearcatMan Online
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

We fulfill the requirements of the Big 12 for number of sponsored sports for each gender. I would be shocked if we add any...especially sports that would require new stadia to be built. Use the increased money to make as many existing sports as good as possible so you bring more fans in and potentially increase revenue across the AD (Womens soccer is 4-1-1, Volleyball has already beaten two teams receiving votes this year, Golf won a tournament over the #5 team in the country)...keep that up. Make the AD as it stands right now it's best self, THEN worry about if we need a sport we have never sponsored before that requires massive capital investment to house.

09-09-2021 07:27 AM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
I could see it happening down the road depending on the direction college athletics goes, but I'd be shocked if anything changed in the near / medium future. Stick with what we have as we transition and reevaluate when debts are paid and you feel great about the stability of the athletic department.

09-09-2021 07:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

(09-08-2021 10:25 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  On the flip side, the Big XII does not sponsor men's soccer... They do sponsor women's soccer, but not men's.

Until a couple years ago, I had been telling UCats to target my annual donation to a softball program.

But it'll never happen. Softball requires its own field. It's hard to find land for that on one of the most densely packed college campuses in America.

09-09-2021 08:12 AM
Advertisement

bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
I posted this in the "All Things Realignment" thread.

I looked at Google maps and there is a green space with a baseball and softball field not too far from the main campus and close to some frat houses - Coy Field.

I found an article that mentions some UC students and some athletes use the space.

UC's track team has used it for the Nikoloff invitational for some field events such as javelin and hammer throw.

If UC were to consider adding softball it might be something they could utilize and improve the area.

https://www.uc.edu/news/articles/2021/04...space.html

Fran Larkin wants UC students to use their time, talents and labor to benefit their neighbors and those in need.

It’s why the director of the UC Center for Community Engagement is pretty excited about the Care about Coy Initiative — an effort to clean up and enhance about five acres of three-tiered recreational space called Coy Field just west of the Uptown campus.
Families with children enjoy playground equipment and basketball hoops on a lower tier of the field while student athletes participating in baseball, softball and football at nearby Hughes High School use the second tier and UC track and field athletes practice on the top level of the field.

and https://www.newsrecord.org/news/student-...a07f1.html

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2021 08:15 AM by bearcatfan.)
09-09-2021 08:15 AM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
Perhaps UC could trade it's ownership of Bellevue Park. I played youth baseball there.

Bellevue Hill Park, owned and operated by the Cincinnati Park Board, is a city park in the neighborhood of Clifton Heights in Cincinnati, Ohio on Ohio Avenue. The park consists of 15 acres (6.1 ha), part of which is leased to the city by the University of Cincinnati. The park has a baseball field, shelter, picnic areas, playgrounds and restrooms.

09-09-2021 10:01 AM
ucbandguy Offline
Special Teams

I would love for UC to sponsor more sports. However...

I believe that the discussion of additional sports should be deferred until after we are getting full shares from the B12 and can pay down some of the renovation debt. See the Rutgers stories and learn.

09-09-2021 11:18 AM
Sweetness Offline
Special Teams

(09-09-2021 08:15 AM)bearcatfan Wrote:  I posted this in the "All Things Realignment" thread.

I looked at Google maps and there is a green space with a baseball and softball field not too far from the main campus and close to some frat houses - Coy Field.

I found an article that mentions some UC students and some athletes use the space.

UC's track team has used it for the Nikoloff invitational for some field events such as javelin and hammer throw.

If UC were to consider adding softball it might be something they could utilize and improve the area.

https://www.uc.edu/news/articles/2021/04...space.html

Fran Larkin wants UC students to use their time, talents and labor to benefit their neighbors and those in need.

It’s why the director of the UC Center for Community Engagement is pretty excited about the Care about Coy Initiative — an effort to clean up and enhance about five acres of three-tiered recreational space called Coy Field just west of the Uptown campus.
Families with children enjoy playground equipment and basketball hoops on a lower tier of the field while student athletes participating in baseball, softball and football at nearby Hughes High School use the second tier and UC track and field athletes practice on the top level of the field.

and https://www.newsrecord.org/news/student-...a07f1.html

Hey, Track and Field is one of our most successful programs. You can't be trying to steal from them for softball lol

09-09-2021 03:33 PM
Advertisement

The T-Shirt Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Bearcats
Here we go. Scrap men's soccer. Add women's softball and men's lacrosse. Park men's and women's lacrosse in the ACC and keep a toe in that door for down the road.

*though this is what I would like us to do, I haven't given the logistics a thought more than this post. Its just for fun and wishful thinking.

09-09-2021 05:51 PM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

Let’s get our revenue sports what they need to compete for national championships before we start adding on sports that lose money. Much better return on investment. Once those investments are made and are paying dividends, I’m all for more sports.

09-09-2021 07:15 PM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

(09-09-2021 05:51 PM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  Here we go. Scrap men's soccer. Add women's softball and men's lacrosse. Park men's and women's lacrosse in the ACC and keep a toe in that door for down the road.

*though this is what I would like us to do, I haven't given the logistics a thought more than this post. Its just for fun and wishful thinking.

Not sure where we would put a softball stadium. Would love to see it, but there are a lot of things we need to invest into football and men’s basketball first. Then, hopefully the increased revenue from those two will pay for the rest. We’ve been running our revenue sports on a shoestring budget for too long to not give them attention first.

09-09-2021 07:20 PM
bearcat29 Offline

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(09-08-2021 10:19 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  I would be surprised based on all the cuts that were made during COVID across Division I. I would rather UC enhance what we have, and in particular, the football stadium and IPF.
This. UC makes a few bucks, put it in revenue sports that pay a dividend. Have to be ready for the next potential shake up. No one cares if men's soccer is back if the basketball and football teams are in shambles. Pay off debt, take care of coaches and IPF.

09-09-2021 08:14 PM
RedRocker Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC, UK's foe
Initially, I don't see them adding any sports. After, some new revenue starts rolling in, I can see them adding sports that don't require a major capital outlay especially sports like men's tennis and men's soccer where they have had teams in the past along with new women's sports such as gymnastics where the current facilities can be used.

Women's softball will require a major capital outlay for a new facility so I don't see that being added anytime soon.

Any capital outlay surely should go towards improving Nippert and building a new Indoor Practice facility.

09-11-2021 08:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.