Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What does the West Coast Conference do?
JSchmack Offline
1st String

I Root For: chaos
What does the West Coast Conference do?
I'm assuming no one has been talking about what the WCC does if BYU leaves because the answer is: "Whatever Gonzaga wants."

One thing that could influence it, is the travel/schedule. When BYU joined, the WCC told Pacific "Nah, we're good" (for like the 40th time). But then they started booking their basketball road trips and realized "This is insane, why can't we have good travel partners?" And the answer was because you're playing two games a weekend in a league with three trios: Bay Area, SoCal, and Pac NW/BYU. And that's when they called Pacific.

The good news for the WCC though, is that there's a new candidate that wasn't available for them last time, and it's really the only candidate that makes any sense.

So.... when does the WCC add Cal Baptist? After a year of 9 teams and bad travel, or after Gonzaga leaves?
09-08-2021 01:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mvcfan76 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: MVC
RE: What does the West Coast Conference do?
The WCC does... nothing, Cal Baptist is too new, gonzaga will blackball Seattle, and denver is too far and bad. Losing byu makes the geography fine with 9.
09-08-2021 01:08 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Short answer? Bring back Seattle.

Shorter? Do nothing.
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2021 01:09 PM by DFW HOYA.)
09-08-2021 01:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
WCC likes even numbers. They added Pacific after BYU came on board. Plus they need a softball team to keep that sport at 6 w/o BYU. San Diego needs a travel partner and no matter who is added Gonzaga is only playing 16 WCC games.

Cal Baptist makes the most sense as it would give every school a travel partner
09-08-2021 01:11 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Whatever Gonzaga wants is definitely the correct answer. If Gonzaga remains in the WCC, then that answer is probably nothing.

I can also see a scenario where the loss of BYU causes Gonzaga to become concerned about depth in the WCC and decide to go to the MWC.

If that were to occur, I think the 8 schools left have some thinking to do:
Seattle as a replacement for Gonzaga is logical
Then you need a travel partner for San Diego. I’m not sure what kind of Baptists run Cal Baptist. If they a liberal ones, then that makes sense. If they are conservative, the WCC might snub them. Grand Canyon is out there too but they probably get snubbed for academic reasons. We might see a dark horse D2 or D3 SoCal Private school emerge as the 10th member if they decide to go back to 10.
09-08-2021 01:14 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
They should just go ahead and take Seattle, but they'll do whatever Gonzaga tells them to for as long as Gonzaga sticks around.
09-08-2021 01:16 PM
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Nothing. They stay at 9, look for a Softball associate. The WCC was fine before BYU will be after. Denver sucks at Basketball and doesn't even have softball. Seattle is woefully below WCC levels in athletics, hurts Basketball NET which Gonzaga would not accept.

Now if Gonzaga leaves they may well look at GCU and Cal Baptist. This would be a good time for Seattle to really throw everything at Basketball and get a team in the tournament in the next couple years. As this is audition time for a post Gonzaga WCC.
09-08-2021 01:25 PM
ccd494 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maine
I don't buy that Gonzaga feels threatened by Seattle's success and is worried they will lose fans.

I do buy that Gonzaga feels threatened by the fact that Seattle has not had a KenPom rating above 190 in the past five years and would further drag down their ratings if they joined the WCC.
09-08-2021 01:34 PM
JSchmack Offline
1st String

Right, Gonzaga does not want to elevate Seattle to their conference level. It's not that Gonzaga is "afraid" of Seattle. It actually has nothing to do with SPORTS. It's about enrollment. Gonzaga University wants anyone in Seattle looking for a WCC education to pick Gonzaga, not Seattle.

My assessment is that Grand Canyon is a non-starter for the entire conference. They used to be for profit. And while they have switched to non-profit and are in the Phoenix market, the stigma is still there. There's coaches in the WCC who refuse to play them.

Denver brings a market, but they're further away than the school that just left. They just don't fit the profile.

Cal Baptist is really the only choice they can make.

I would assume they try the 9-team thing for a while, because they already gave Gonzaga the 16-game schedule instead of the 18-game schedule, and they just have to keep Gonzaga happy and not chasing a hybrid model.
09-08-2021 02:26 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
If there's any give at all in the "private schools only" policy, UVU actually isn't totally crazy. There may not be that give, though, and UVU may like that two other Utah publics have joined the WAC recently.
09-08-2021 02:39 PM
dbackjon Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(09-08-2021 02:39 PM)Bogg Wrote:  If there's any give at all in the "private schools only" policy, UVU actually isn't totally crazy. There may not be that give, though, and UVU may like that two other Utah publics have joined the WAC recently.

UVU might as well be private...it's for all the kids that wanted to go to BYU but couldn't get in.
09-08-2021 02:41 PM
Advertisement

dbackjon Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
About Mark Few's DUI?
09-08-2021 03:23 PM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
(09-08-2021 02:39 PM)Bogg Wrote:  If there's any give at all in the "private schools only" policy, UVU actually isn't totally crazy. There may not be that give, though, and UVU may like that two other Utah publics have joined the WAC recently.

Without BYU, the other Pacific Time Zone schools are flying to Utah and another time zone for an irrelevant men's basketball school that has never made an NCAA Tournament and made a grand one NIT Tournament. You'll fly to BYU but Utah Valley?
09-08-2021 05:59 PM
OhioBoilermaker Offline
1st String

I Root For: Purdue, NMSU
(09-08-2021 02:26 PM)JSchmack Wrote:  Right, Gonzaga does not want to elevate Seattle to their conference level. It's not that Gonzaga is "afraid" of Seattle. It actually has nothing to do with SPORTS. It's about enrollment. Gonzaga University wants anyone in Seattle looking for a WCC education to pick Gonzaga, not Seattle.

Ah yes, because of all the high school seniors looking for a "WCC education."
09-08-2021 06:06 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
I want Seattle in the WCC because they fit the conference profile nearly perfect and even the conference at 10. Denver is gone as an option with BYU heading out the door (even though Denver was a long shot with BYU). California Baptist and Grand Canyon are too new and don’t fit the conference profile right now.

Likelihood is to stay at 9 and figure it out. The Big West had 11 schools so a scheduling agreement could be reached so the odd-out schools can schedule each other.
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2021 06:12 PM by BePcr07.)
09-08-2021 06:12 PM
ccd494 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maine
(09-08-2021 06:06 PM)OhioBoilermaker Wrote:  
(09-08-2021 02:26 PM)JSchmack Wrote:  Right, Gonzaga does not want to elevate Seattle to their conference level. It's not that Gonzaga is "afraid" of Seattle. It actually has nothing to do with SPORTS. It's about enrollment. Gonzaga University wants anyone in Seattle looking for a WCC education to pick Gonzaga, not Seattle.

Ah yes, because of all the high school seniors looking for a "WCC education."

Yeah I bumped on that, too. If you give a **** about sports, you can go to Gonzaga to watch basketball, or UW for the Pac-12. Seattle will never be in that equation.
09-08-2021 06:57 PM
Advertisement

esayem Online
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Why not add Seattle and give Gonzaga an easy home game there every season?
09-08-2021 07:16 PM
JSchmack Offline
1st String

(09-08-2021 06:06 PM)OhioBoilermaker Wrote:  Ah yes, because of all the high school seniors looking for a "WCC education."

(09-08-2021 06:57 PM)ccd494 Wrote:  Yeah I bumped on that, too. If you give a **** about sports, you can go to Gonzaga to watch basketball, or UW for the Pac-12. Seattle will never be in that equation.

I'm not saying it's a very significant point they're making, but that's their stance...

(09-08-2021 07:16 PM)esayem Wrote:  Why not add Seattle and give Gonzaga an easy home game there every season?

Because it's Gonzaga's conference, and Gonzaga doesn't want Seattle.

It's really that simple. Gonzaga's earned 59 NCAA tournament units since 1999. The rest of the league has 21 combined. They can't lose Gonzaga. And that's why they totally redid their payment model for NCAA units.
09-08-2021 11:21 PM
esayem Online
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(09-08-2021 11:21 PM)JSchmack Wrote:  
(09-08-2021 06:06 PM)OhioBoilermaker Wrote:  Ah yes, because of all the high school seniors looking for a "WCC education."

(09-08-2021 06:57 PM)ccd494 Wrote:  Yeah I bumped on that, too. If you give a **** about sports, you can go to Gonzaga to watch basketball, or UW for the Pac-12. Seattle will never be in that equation.

I'm not saying it's a very significant point they're making, but that's their stance...

(09-08-2021 07:16 PM)esayem Wrote:  Why not add Seattle and give Gonzaga an easy home game there every season?

Because it's Gonzaga's conference, and Gonzaga doesn't want Seattle.

It's really that simple. Gonzaga's earned 59 NCAA tournament units since 1999. The rest of the league has 21 combined. They can't lose Gonzaga. And that's why they totally redid their payment model for NCAA units.

Gonzaga doesn’t have a realistic addition that will help their RPI. I mean Grand Canyon? Go for it.
09-08-2021 11:33 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Gonzaga is only playing 16 WCC games regardless of any potential expansion

I don't see Gonzaga being a roadblock if the rest of the WCC wants to stay at 10 and give USD a travel partner
09-08-2021 11:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.