Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Just wait until Houston, Cinci, and UCF grow into their P5 status
jgkojak Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kansas
Just wait until Houston, Cinci, and UCF grow into their P5 status
We are in a new era of college sports with the NIL.

Houston, Cinci and UCF are all high "upside" programs.

UCF in the Orlando market with no NFL competition is going to be able to go head to head with SEC schools in terms of NIL $ and attracting athletes. They will mop up in their back yard with recruiting and make a dent in Texas now that they will be playing there. With one of the largest student bodies in the country, they are almost guaranteed, if they are playing decent football, to be at the top of attendance and TV viewership. With the right coach, would not surprise me to, in 5 years, see UCF where Florida State was a few years ago - a perennial Nat Champ contender.

Houston, likewise, in their giant market, will find the $ to attract the athletes they need, right in their back yard. Further, they will probably take athletes from Texas, A&M (especially) and LSU. The attendance potential has been shown to be there - they could find themselves, like UCF, to be near top of TV and attendance, and competing for the highest caliber athletes.

Cincinatti is already a Top 10 Football Team. That will only continue - how many recruits will they steal out from under Ohio State because they are competing in the B12?

I'm not mentioning BYU because they are already P5 caliber.

In 5 years, its very possible that these 4 schools rank at the top of the B12 in terms of interest, wins, fan support, and outstrip a lot of the supposedly more attractive properties ensconced in the bigger conferences. When one of these teams wins its first Nat Championship (I'm guessing UCF) over Alabama or Ohio State, the national perception will change and the B12 will be back in the Top 4.

In the meantime, its very likely that Texas is going to be, like Nebraska before them, wishing they didn't switch conferences.
09-06-2021 06:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: Just wait until Houston, Cinci, and UCF grow into their P5 status
(09-06-2021 06:02 PM)jgkojak Wrote:  We are in a new era of college sports with the NIL.

Well, I don't think the New Big 12 is going to retain its P5 status after 2025. It seems highly unlikely to me that the SEC and B1G will share playoff money and other trappings of "power" equally with the NB12 when the brand-value gap is so vast.

The NB12 will be viewed as either the top G conference or a true "tweener" that the AAC was striving to be.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2021 06:08 PM by quo vadis.)
09-06-2021 06:07 PM
NotDanBeebe Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: College Football
The New Big 12 will remain a Power 5 Conference as long as OSU, Texas Tech, Kansas, Iowa State, and West Virginia stay, and Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF do what they should do. From a winning stand point, the top half of the NB 12 will consistently win over the bottom half of the SEC, ACC, PAC-12, and Big 10. And with the NIL point you've made, there is just too much money to be made here.

The irony is that in the next 10 years, Cincinnati/West Virginia to the ACC and Houston/BYU to the PAC-12 could be more likely than Texas Tech and OSU anywhere, and that will absolutely be beautiful to watch if it happens. Couldn't happen a more deserving fan base in the Big 12.
09-06-2021 07:19 PM
Big Frog II Online
1st String

I Root For: TCU
(09-06-2021 06:07 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(09-06-2021 06:02 PM)jgkojak Wrote:  We are in a new era of college sports with the NIL.

Well, I don't think the New Big 12 is going to retain its P5 status after 2025. It seems highly unlikely to me that the SEC and B1G will share playoff money and other trappings of "power" equally with the NB12 when the brand-value gap is so vast.

The NB12 will be viewed as either the top G conference or a true "tweener" that the AAC was striving to be.

Wrong
09-06-2021 07:27 PM
OhioBoilermaker Offline
1st String

I Root For: Purdue, NMSU
(09-06-2021 06:02 PM)jgkojak Wrote:  Cincinatti is already a Top 10 Football Team. That will only continue - how many recruits will they steal out from under Ohio State because they are competing in the B12?

It's Cincinnati, and not very many.
09-06-2021 07:29 PM
BcatMatt13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats
(09-06-2021 07:29 PM)OhioBoilermaker Wrote:  
(09-06-2021 06:02 PM)jgkojak Wrote:  Cincinatti is already a Top 10 Football Team. That will only continue - how many recruits will they steal out from under Ohio State because they are competing in the B12?

Very few. But it will help UC recruit against the other P5’s around (Louisville, Kentucky, Purdue, etc.)

Key for UC is to beat out those schools for players, especially the ones in Ohio that OSU doesn’t offer.
09-06-2021 07:32 PM
Advertisement

BraveKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
The B12 will remain a P5 conference, it just won’t be as prestigious as before. Although the on field results could very well stay the same or even improve.
09-06-2021 07:32 PM
JUSTGOPLAY Offline
2nd String

I Root For: CINCINNATI

Ohio State football will always get who they want, the thing is they don't seem very interested in recruiting Ohio anymore....Ohio produces a freaking ton of D1 football talent, and Fickell has done a great job of out recruiting the rest of the BIG10 in Ohio. It stands to reason that the move to the BIG12 will on enhance Cincinnati's ability to recruit, especially on the basketball side.
09-06-2021 07:48 PM
Kyle Mack Offline
Banned

I Root For: Cincinnati Bearcats

Like Jowon Briggs and Evan Prater? And that was before UC was announced to the Big 12. UC has lots of players on their roster that are loaded with with BIG and upper crust SEC offers. The days of a Ray Edwards going to Purdue are long gone. At OSU we will still get most of what we want but UC will only get better.
09-06-2021 07:54 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA

UCF in the Orlando market with no NFL competition is going to be able to go head to head with SEC schools in terms of NIL $ and attracting athletes. They will mop up in their back yard with recruiting and make a dent in Texas now that they will be playing there. With one of the largest student bodies in the country, they are almost guaranteed, if they are playing decent football, to be at the top of attendance and TV viewership. With the right coach, would not surprise me to, in 5 years, see UCF where Florida State was a few years ago - a perennial Nat Champ contender.

Houston, likewise, in their giant market, will find the $ to attract the athletes they need, right in their back yard. Further, they will probably take athletes from Texas, A&M (especially) and LSU. The attendance potential has been shown to be there - they could find themselves, like UCF, to be near top of TV and attendance, and competing for the highest caliber athletes.

Cincinatti is already a Top 10 Football Team. That will only continue - how many recruits will they steal out from under Ohio State because they are competing in the B12?

In 5 years, its very possible that these 4 schools rank at the top of the B12 in terms of interest, wins, fan support, and outstrip a lot of the supposedly more attractive properties ensconced in the bigger conferences. When one of these teams wins its first Nat Championship (I'm guessing UCF) over Alabama or Ohio State, the national perception will change and the B12 will be back in the Top 4.

In the meantime, its very likely that Texas is going to be, like Nebraska before them, wishing they didn't switch conferences.

Houston will only rarely win a recruiting battle head to head with Texas A&M, OU or Texas. They can compete with the rest. Texas A&M, OU and Texas compete with top programs from out of state. Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech and Oklahoma St. will occasionally get someone really high, but usually not someone those 3 were pursuing hard.
09-06-2021 07:56 PM
CarlSmithCenter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ball So Hard U

[Image: goodfellas-henry-hill.gif]

Unless Gordon Gee changes his tune on CFP expansion, the Big XII won’t have a team make the playoff, let alone compete for national titles with any regularity.
09-06-2021 08:05 PM
Advertisement

OhioBoilermaker Offline
1st String

I Root For: Purdue, NMSU
(09-06-2021 07:54 PM)Kyle Mack Wrote:  

Like Jowon Briggs and Evan Prater? And that was before UC was announced to the Big 12. UC has lots of players on their roster that are loaded with with BIG and upper crust SEC offers. The days of a Ray Edwards going to Purdue are long gone. At OSU we will still get most of what we want but UC will only get better.

Did either of those recruits go to UC over OSU because UC will be playing in the Big XII? That was the original suggestion. I didn't dispute that UC will be able to get solid recruits.

Purdue recruiting will be fine.
09-06-2021 08:23 PM
Kyle Mack Offline
Banned

I Root For: Cincinnati Bearcats
(09-06-2021 08:23 PM)OhioBoilermaker Wrote:  

Did either of those recruits go to UC over OSU because UC will be playing in the Big XII? That was the original suggestion. I didn't dispute that UC will be able to get solid recruits.

They likely went there because of the coaching staff. Now toss in the Big 12 label. UC coaches can say with straight face come here and play in NY6 bowl and for the CFP. Purdue coaches can't say that and be honest. Oh and that is 2 recruits that had OSU offers. I can dig a few more.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2021 08:43 PM by Kyle Mack.)
09-06-2021 08:42 PM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(09-06-2021 06:07 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

This is closer to what will happen. They don't realize it yet. Your dog doesn't understand when it's neutered either.
09-06-2021 09:05 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
(09-06-2021 08:42 PM)Kyle Mack Wrote:  
(09-06-2021 08:23 PM)OhioBoilermaker Wrote:  

They likely went there because of the coaching staff. Now toss in the Big 12 label. UC coaches can say with straight face come here and play in NY6 bowl and for the CFP. Purdue coaches can't say that and be honest. Oh and that is 2 recruits that had OSU offers. I can dig a few more.

Briggs went to Virginia originally but transferred to UC based on the staff, he's from there and Cincinnati's winning bigly these days. Fickell has been a phenomenal recruiter of talented Ohio kids - the majority of the roster - unlike previous head coaches. Agree that Ohio State will get who they really want and can do it nationally despite UC's rise. And that's ok. The State of Ohio can handle two successful programs not unlike other states. Inclusion in the B12 will only enhance Cincinnati's recruiting especially if we can [and I believe we will] win consistently in that league. It also helps our recruiting in hoops because the B12 is a FAR superior basketball league top to bottom than the AAC was.
09-06-2021 09:23 PM
herdfan129 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall & Liberty
I personally think UCF has the most upside. It's hard telling what they will be able to do with P5 label and money.
09-06-2021 10:33 PM
Advertisement

BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(09-06-2021 07:56 PM)bullet Wrote:  

Houston will only rarely win a recruiting battle head to head with Texas A&M, OU or Texas. They can compete with the rest. Texas A&M, OU and Texas compete with top programs from out of state. Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech and Oklahoma St. will occasionally get someone really high, but usually not someone those 3 were pursuing hard.

I’m curious to see the recruiting advantages if Houston moves to the big12... I think Houston will hold their own vs UT & a&m... Not saying Houston is going to kill it but will find themselves in conversations with high rank recruits far more as before and may even snatch a few away from horns and a&m.
09-06-2021 11:15 PM
Sicembear11 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Baylor
(09-06-2021 11:15 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  

I’m curious to see the recruiting advantages if Houston moves to the big12... I think Houston will hold their own vs UT & a&m... Not saying Houston is going to kill it but will find themselves in conversations with high rank recruits far more as before and may even snatch a few away from horns and a&m.

I’ll be curious to see how Houston performs. NIL is a game changer and could greatly assist them in elevating. On the other hand, people act like Houston having access to “P5” level branding and access to superior competition will somehow really change the Houston program. All too quickly they forget that this is a “been there, done that” with Houston. They were in the SWC and while athletically competitive never really captured Houston or their own fan base. They struggled and struggle with attendance. I don’t know that it can be changed.
09-07-2021 12:01 AM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(09-07-2021 12:01 AM)Sicembear11 Wrote:  
(09-06-2021 11:15 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  

I’ll be curious to see how Houston performs. NIL is a game changer and could greatly assist them in elevating. On the other hand, people act like Houston having access to “P5” level branding and access to superior competition will somehow really change the Houston program. All too quickly they forget that this is a “been there, done that” with Houston. They were in the SWC and while athletically competitive never really captured Houston or their own fan base. They struggled and struggle with attendance. I don’t know that it can be changed.

I agree... Houston has been there done that as pointed above but keep in mind Houston’s past administrations were just awful bad with zero desire for improving the ran down facilities.

Today’s Houston’s facilities however have significantly improved and will be upgraded again if need be.
09-07-2021 12:46 AM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(09-06-2021 07:48 PM)JUSTGOPLAY Wrote:  

Ohio State football will always get who they want, the thing is they don't seem very interested in recruiting Ohio anymore....Ohio produces a freaking ton of D1 football talent, and Fickell has done a great job of out recruiting the rest of the BIG10 in Ohio. It stands to reason that the move to the BIG12 will on enhance Cincinnati's ability to recruit, especially on the basketball side.

Ohio State gets their pick of most of the top 10 players in Ohio if they want them. Them recruiting nationally now has allowed UC to fill the void. Most of the UC roster is from Ohio.

However, B12 for UC is bad news for schools like Michigan State, Purdue, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota Kentucky and Louisville that we regularly get into recruiting battles against. We butt heads with Iowa State a lot for recruits, too due to that staff’s ties to Ohio. That will be interesting to watch develop.
09-07-2021 04:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.