I Root For: Houston
McMurphy: Houston, Cincy, UCF and BYU could join Big 12 before OU and UT leave
09-03-2021 07:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Red Dragon Coog Offline
Banned

I Root For: Houston
RE: McMurphy: Houston, Cincy, UCF and BYU could join Big 12 before OU and UT leave
Weird. The tweets arent embedding. Here's the link

https://mobile.twitter.com/Brett_McMurph...0366347267
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2021 07:59 AM by Red Dragon Coog.)
09-03-2021 07:58 AM
BaylorHistory Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Baylor
RE: McMurphy: Houston, Cincy, UCF and BYU could join Big 12 before OU and UT leave
So pumped to have UH back. I really thought it was going to be BYU and wait for teams to leave.

I'm holding out hope for these divisions...

West- BU, BYU, UH, oSu, TCU, Tech

East- Cincy, KU, KSU, ISU, UCF, WVU
09-03-2021 08:13 AM
panicstricken Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
dont care

Add Rice, Liberty and USM

Im fine with that.
09-03-2021 08:18 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
IMO, early invites to to the new schools will be a sign that TX and OU are leaving sooner as well.

IMO it doesn't make sense for the L12/B2 to wobble on for 3 years or so as a 14-team conference with this makeup.

If invites to the chosen four go out soon, I expect a deal for an early TX/OU exit to happen too. Might be happening now.
09-03-2021 08:19 AM
Sweetness Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati
(09-03-2021 08:13 AM)BaylorHistory Wrote:  So pumped to have UH back. I really thought it was going to be BYU and wait for teams to leave.

I'm holding out hope for these divisions...

West- BU, BYU, UH, oSu, TCU, Tech

East- Cincy, KU, KSU, ISU, UCF, WVU

As a UC fan living in Texas I'm definitely excited to have a couple more games in driving distance.
09-03-2021 08:23 AM
Advertisement

BcatMatt13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats
(09-03-2021 08:18 AM)panicstricken Wrote:  dont care

Add Rice, Liberty and USM

Im fine with that.

I’d only add 2 and get to ten.
09-03-2021 08:23 AM
panicstricken Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
Its fine. Im blackpilled AF and want Tulsa to drop to FCS at this point.
09-03-2021 08:25 AM
b2b Offline
Heisman

I Root For: My Family + ECU
Backfill with Marshall, App State, UAB and Liberty.
09-03-2021 08:28 AM
Stickboy46 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Wichita State
ugh these names being thrown as additions are rough from a Basketball standpoint.
09-03-2021 08:30 AM
b2b Offline
Heisman

(09-03-2021 08:30 AM)Stickboy46 Wrote:  ugh these names being thrown as additions are rough from a Basketball standpoint.

You joined a football conference. That's 85% of the revenue. Maybe we can add VCU and Dayton to help y'all out. If we can't get them WSU needs to decide what they want to do.
09-03-2021 08:32 AM
Advertisement

Stickboy46 Offline
Heisman

(09-03-2021 08:32 AM)b2b Wrote:  
(09-03-2021 08:30 AM)Stickboy46 Wrote:  ugh these names being thrown as additions are rough from a Basketball standpoint.

You joined a football conference. That's 85% of the revenue. Maybe we can add VCU and Dayton to help y'all out. If we can't get them WSU needs to decide what they want to do.

Oh i know. Still a conference with Memphis and SMU (and Temple if they can get back on track) is better than MVC. So it's still a step up .. just not what we signed up for.

I do hope WSU leadership is out seeing what it would take to land in the Big East.
09-03-2021 08:34 AM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
(09-03-2021 08:34 AM)Stickboy46 Wrote:  

Oh i know. Still a conference with Memphis and SMU (and Temple if they can get back on track) is better than MVC. So it's still a step up .. just not what we signed up for.

I do hope WSU leadership is out seeing what it would take to land in the Big East.

You need to ask the NBE in order to find out...
09-03-2021 08:41 AM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
I'll plop this here...

Quote:With the Big 12 eyeing expansion, four schools have emerged as favorites to join the league.

BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and Central Florida are the four schools that have been discussed “over and over,” according to a league source. The Athletic first reported the four schools as the league’s top candidates earlier Thursday.

This not a done deal by any stretch but those four schools would add the most value to a league reeling with the pending departures of Texas and Oklahoma.

TCU football coach Gary Patterson addressed realignment and expansion during his radio show Thursday night, telling host Brian Estridge that fans should look at it from a positive standpoint.

“I think we’re going to end up staying together, I think we’re going to end up adding teams, and I think we’re going to end up getting stronger,” Patterson said on 92.1 Hank FM. “We control what we can control.”

Patterson mentioned that TCU isn’t a school that can complain about UT and OU leaving the Big 12 as TCU has jumped leagues multiple times in the past two decades. Additionally, Patterson said, TCU’s path to the College Football Playoff and a possible national championship may be better in a refortified Big 12 without those two schools.

That new-look Big 12 would include BYU, which appears to be the top choice in expansion talks. BYU, which is an independent in football, has a strong fan base and history.

As one source put it, “BYU adds immediate value.”

Cincinnati and Houston are strong candidates, too, given the alumni bases and history at both schools. The same can be said for Central Florida.

“Those four are where you start,” a source said.

It’s unclear when invitations would be handed out, although a source it’s possible it happens at some point in this academic year.

BYU would have the easiest path given its independent status in football. Cincy, UH and UCF are members of the American Athletic Conference and would have to give that league 27 months notice and pay a $10 million exit fee before joining the Big 12.

Of course, these are all subject to negotiations between leagues and schools.

But the Big 12 is starting to play offense.

Those four additions would get the Big 12 back to 12 teams in the post-UT/OU era. They would also keep the Big 12 as one of the top five football leagues in the country, arguably better than the Pac-12 some years. The new schools would also strengthen the league from a basketball perspective.

If the league wants to explore beyond that, there would be plenty of interested schools such as Colorado State, San Diego State, South Florida, Boise State, SMU and Navy.

Fort Worth Star-Telegram
09-03-2021 08:51 AM
BcatMatt13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats

Wichita seems to be the forgotten school in all this. Memphis, Wichita, SMU, and Temple can be a solid top 4 of a conference for basketball. Tulsa is always competitive. After that though it could be really rough.
09-03-2021 08:55 AM
b2b Offline
Heisman

I'd think WSU had eyes wide open when they joined. They had just witnessed what happened to the old Big East and the Big 12 tryouts in 2016.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2021 08:58 AM by b2b.)
09-03-2021 08:57 AM
Advertisement

ICB Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(09-03-2021 08:55 AM)BcatMatt13 Wrote:  

Wichita seems to be the forgotten school in all this. Memphis, Wichita, SMU, and Temple can be a solid top 4 of a conference for basketball. Tulsa is always competitive. After that though it could be really rough.

If UAB is fortunate enough to get the invite, we will bring good basketball to the conference as well. Andy Kennedy is doing for basketball what Clark has done for football. Not sure if there is another team that will bring as good of basketball and football to the table right now. If so, I’m too biased to think of one.
09-03-2021 09:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stickboy46 Offline
Heisman

(09-03-2021 09:00 AM)ICB Wrote:  

If UAB is fortunate enough to get the invite, we will bring good basketball to the conference as well. Andy Kennedy is doing for basketball what Clark has done for football. Not sure if there is another team that will bring as good of basketball and football to the table right now. If so, I’m too biased to think of one.

UAB doesn't really move the needle in basketball. They might get better after being in the AAC but none of the names thrown around as "good football" additions move the needle in basketball. At least staying east. I think some of the MWC additions could be really good Football/basketball additions.
09-03-2021 09:04 AM
Stickboy46 Offline
Heisman

(09-03-2021 08:57 AM)b2b Wrote:  

I'd think WSU had eyes wide open when they joined. They had just witnessed what happened to the old Big East and the Big 12 tryouts in 2016.

The problem is ... our transformational president that had WSU really moving (innovation campus, the move to the AAC) passed away unexpectedly in 2019. Then we had a very short termed President that got booted for very quickly making dumb decisions. Now we have a president that has only been official for a few months trying to navigate all this. If there were any contingency plans in place, I'm guessing the "short termed" president punted all them.
09-03-2021 09:07 AM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(09-03-2021 09:00 AM)ICB Wrote:  

Better off sending this as a email to Aresco than posting it here....lol.
09-03-2021 09:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.