Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

McMurphy: Top Big 12 Targets BYU Cincy UCF & Houston Could Receive Invite This Month
GoBuckeyes1047 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio State
McMurphy: Top Big 12 Targets BYU Cincy UCF & Houston Could Receive Invite This Month
https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/big-...ttmcmurphy

Notes of Interest:
  • BYU could join as soon as 2022
  • All sports members prefered and not football only
  • All 4 Teams could join before OU and UT leave for SEC
  • Boise St., Memphis, SMU, and USF also considered
  • Decision based 75% football, 25% basketball
  • 16 team league not realistic, 10 team league not likely

To me, I think if BYU were to decline, Memphis should be the next team to be invited.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2021 08:02 AM by GoBuckeyes1047.)
09-03-2021 07:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Crayton Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
RE: McMurphy: Top Big 12 Targets BYU, Cincy, UCF & Houston Could Receive Invite This Mont
Holy double-post, Batman!

Invitations "this month" is enticing as a realignment fan. I guess that is the only 'new' info here, other than the fact that this is McMurphy.
09-03-2021 08:01 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: McMurphy: Top Big 12 Targets BYU Cincy UCF & Houston Could Receive Invite This...
(09-03-2021 07:57 AM)GoBuckeyes1047 Wrote:  https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/big-...ttmcmurphy

Notes of Interest:

To me, I think if BYU were to decline, Memphis should be the next team to be invited.

A few things:

1) I think an expansion announcement is coming sooner rather than later and that these are the targeted four. IMO there is too much smoke here.

2) Not surprising at all to me that BYU is the #1 candidate. Not sure why others doubt that.

3) If BYU declines, I do not think Memphis comes next.

4) If expansion announcements are made this month, this greases the skids for an early TX/OU exit to the SEC. Heck, it might be coming *because* there may already have been talks with TX and OU heading in that direction now.

Just MO.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2021 08:05 AM by quo vadis.)
09-03-2021 08:04 AM
HawaiiMongoose Online
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
RE: McMurphy: Top Big 12 Targets BYU Cincy UCF & Houston Could Receive Invite This...
(09-03-2021 07:57 AM)GoBuckeyes1047 Wrote:  https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/big-...ttmcmurphy

Notes of Interest:

BYU won't decline.

When the Pac-12 said it wouldn't be expanding I predicted a Big 12 move within 60 days. Maybe I should have said 30.
09-03-2021 08:04 AM
BcatMatt13 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats
RE: McMurphy: Top Big 12 Targets BYU Cincy UCF & Houston Could Receive Invite This Month
I’ll give the leftover 8 Big 12 schools credit. They are moving quickly and decisively.
09-03-2021 08:11 AM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(09-03-2021 08:11 AM)BcatMatt13 Wrote:  I’ll give the leftover 8 Big 12 schools credit. They are moving quickly and decisively.

And they'll have the actual dates BYU, UH, UC, UCF are coming over too which I believe will help move us to the next step, AAC expansion.
09-03-2021 08:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BePcr07 Online
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
RE: McMurphy: Top Big 12 Targets BYU Cincy UCF & Houston Could Receive Invite This Month
The schools will get the votes. There’s absolutely no reason for Oklahoma and Texas so vote “no.”
09-03-2021 08:37 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
RE: McMurphy: Top Big 12 Targets BYU Cincy UCF & Houston Could Receive Invite
While certainly not official (yet), a sincere congratulations to BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF. To Cincinnati fans, in particular, it is a very well-deserved and earned promotion - and one that should have happened years ago. The future Big 12, while lacking a power football program to anchor it (at least at present), will continue to remain a top-5 football conference and will offer an exciting blend of high-level football and basketball. I believe the Big 12's expansion into both Florida and Ohio will return a great deal of investment in the form of exposure, viewership and recruiting for many years to come. I, for one, am very much looking forward to this new version of the Big 12 and hope that my Big East continues the Battle with this form of the conference.

For the AAC, remaining members - especially USF, Memphis and SMU - need to keep their heads up, continue investing and supporting their athletic departments and programs, and not throw in the towel. Realignment never stops. Sustained programs that are successful, competitive and supported will always have a shot at a promotion. With the right additions, the AAC can remain successful and move forward. As a huge college basketball fan, I hope that Memphis, Temple, Wichita State, Tulsa and SMU can find ways to continue to remain competitive and find additional members that can bring value to the basketball side of things. While I do not think they will be in a position to poach any A10 members, there are a number of programs from C-USA that could slide in easily on the basketball side (UAB, Marshall, Western Kentucky, Old Dominion).
09-03-2021 08:41 AM
OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

I Root For: Canine & Avian
New B12 consultant, Oliver Luck, appears to have hit the ground running. He has the contacts and the executive skills to quickly generate progressive movement in the system.
09-03-2021 08:42 AM
Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
(09-03-2021 08:37 AM)BePcr07 Wrote:  The schools will get the votes. There’s absolutely no reason for Oklahoma and Texas so vote “no.”

I believe the bylaws will not allow them to vote since they have given their intent to leave. It would then take 6 out of 8.
09-03-2021 08:43 AM
otown Offline
All American

Why do people think that BYU would decline? It would make ZERO sense for them. The whole CFP expansion proposal is on life support after the Texas and Oklahoma news. Even if it goes through, those friendly G5 terms may not be there anymore.......cant chance that
09-03-2021 08:43 AM
Advertisement

Frog in the Kitchen Sink Offline
All American

Those quotes are clearly from someone high up. No ambiguity and full of specifics. Also, probably purposefully leaked.
09-03-2021 08:50 AM
otown Offline
All American

(09-03-2021 08:41 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  While certainly not official (yet), a sincere congratulations to BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF. To Cincinnati fans, in particular, it is a very well-deserved and earned promotion - and one that should have happened years ago. The future Big 12, while lacking a power football program to anchor it (at least at present), will continue to remain a top-5 football conference and will offer an exciting blend of high-level football and basketball. I believe the Big 12's expansion into both Florida and Ohio will return a great deal of investment in the form of exposure, viewership and recruiting for many years to come. I, for one, am very much looking forward to this new version of the Big 12 and hope that my Big East continues the Battle with this form of the conference.

For the AAC, remaining members - especially USF, Memphis and SMU - need to keep their heads up, continue investing and supporting their athletic departments and programs, and not throw in the towel. Realignment never stops. Sustained programs that are successful, competitive and supported will always have a shot at a promotion. With the right additions, the AAC can remain successful and move forward. As a huge college basketball fan, I hope that Memphis, Temple, Wichita State, Tulsa and SMU can find ways to continue to remain competitive and find additional members that can bring value to the basketball side of things. While I do not think they will be in a position to poach any A10 members, there are a number of programs from C-USA that could slide in easily on the basketball side (UAB, Marshall, Western Kentucky, Old Dominion).

USF needs to get their heads out of their asses. They should have been investing 10 years ago. They had such big egos and kept saying they would not build a stadium cheap like UCF, even if it was built to be expanded on. They only wanted a $250 million palace or nothing at all. Their IPF took a decade of talk and delay and only now they are breaking ground.

Honestly, I hope the UCF USF rivalry game continues, but not sure if it does.... thats ultimately a conference decision at this point. USF should have been coming along with UCF, but its easy to see why they were passed up. Having a bad football product was only part of the reason. It was lack of online presence, fan support, administration support, and facilities. Its a travesty looking at the malpractice that the USF administration has committed.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2021 08:56 AM by otown.)
09-03-2021 08:55 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(09-03-2021 08:43 AM)otown Wrote:  Why do people think that BYU would decline? It would make ZERO sense for them. The whole CFP expansion proposal is on life support after the Texas and Oklahoma news. Even if it goes through, those friendly G5 terms may not be there anymore.......cant chance that

I think BYU will accept, but I think it is possible that snags could prevent it. Possible snags:

- BYU pride in joining a reduced L8, cementing lower status than Utah

- Disagreement over revenue distribution (L8 might want a long phase-in)

- Problems with current BYU TV deal (does the ESPN deal have an "out" to join a conference?)

- Issues with days of athletic events

Overall, I think it likely that BYU will accept. That's what I expect. But I think snags are possible. Won't shock me if they do not join.
09-03-2021 08:58 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(09-03-2021 08:55 AM)otown Wrote:  
(09-03-2021 08:41 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  While certainly not official (yet), a sincere congratulations to BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF. To Cincinnati fans, in particular, it is a very well-deserved and earned promotion - and one that should have happened years ago. The future Big 12, while lacking a power football program to anchor it (at least at present), will continue to remain a top-5 football conference and will offer an exciting blend of high-level football and basketball. I believe the Big 12's expansion into both Florida and Ohio will return a great deal of investment in the form of exposure, viewership and recruiting for many years to come. I, for one, am very much looking forward to this new version of the Big 12 and hope that my Big East continues the Battle with this form of the conference.

USF needs to get their heads out of their asses. They should have been investing 10 years ago. They had such big egos and kept saying they would not build a stadium cheap like UCF, even if it was built to be expanded on. They only wanted a $250 million palace or nothing at all. Their IPF took a decade of talk and delay and only now they are breaking ground.

Honestly, I hope the UCF USF rivalry game continues, but not sure if it does.... thats ultimately a conference decision at this point. USF should have been coming along with UCF, but its easy to see why they were passed up. Having a bad football product was only part of the reason. It was lack of online presence, fan support, administration support, and facilities. Its a travesty looking at the malpractice that the USF administration has committed.

Wish I could write a scathing-rant reply, but a lot of what you say is true. I would add:

1) Yes, UCF made a wise and bold move to build an OCS. USF bungled this, even though we had BCS money at the time. Dumb move. Probably why our two schools are on different paths now. And that's on the administration.

But, our administration has done a cracker-jack job in the bigger picture, making USF a better overall institution. Athletics is a part of the picture but it's not the biggest part. Overall, USF has never been a stronger school, and that's ultimately what I judge administration on.

2) Also, I blame, me, the fans, even more. The biggest difference I see between UCF and USF right now is fan support. You guys have a very solid core of fans and the atmosphere at your games is palpable. At USF, we have a much smaller core of fans, and because we play in an NFL stadium, there is no atmosphere.

Two things IMO contributed to this. The lack of an OCS means we have poor soil in which to grow a fan base and football culture. But also, psychologically, we have never gotten over the demise of the Big East. Ten years on, USF fans still have never taken to competition in the AAC. We miss playing WV, Pitt, Louisville, Syracuse and Rutgers. It was nice that Cincy and UConn, who we also enjoyed playing, fell with us, but too much was lost. Mentally, we folded over that, fallen and haven't gotten up. That's on us too, we should have gotten up, shook the dust off and gotten back in the saddle, but save for a year or two there when Taggart developed some excitement, we didn't.

Now, we no longer play UConn either and we're going to miss playing Cincy too.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2021 09:12 AM by quo vadis.)
09-03-2021 09:07 AM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati

Kind words for all four schools; very well said. And if this materializes (as leaked) Cincinnati fans will be ecstatic for both the football and basketball opportunities it creates.

I've enjoyed our rivalries and games with USF, SMU, and Memphis and wish all of them continued success. And yes, historically the realignment wheel spins more than we realize and there will be opportunities again for those universities.
09-03-2021 09:07 AM
Advertisement

Frog in the Kitchen Sink Offline
All American

(09-03-2021 08:58 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(09-03-2021 08:43 AM)otown Wrote:  Why do people think that BYU would decline? It would make ZERO sense for them. The whole CFP expansion proposal is on life support after the Texas and Oklahoma news. Even if it goes through, those friendly G5 terms may not be there anymore.......cant chance that

I think BYU will accept, but I think it is possible that snags could prevent it. Possible snags:

- BYU pride in joining a reduced L8, cementing lower status than Utah

- Disagreement over revenue distribution (L8 might want a long phase-in)

- Problems with current BYU TV deal (does the ESPN deal have an "out" to join a conference?)

- Issues with days of athletic events

Overall, I think it likely that BYU will accept. That's what I expect. But I think snags are possible. Won't shock me if they do not join.
Nothing is 100%, but close enough to 100% that it would qualify as a shock if it doesn't happen. These quotes don't get leaked if any issues haven't been already worked through.
09-03-2021 09:08 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
If BYU doesnt join the autonomous Big 12, they will never join a conference again.

They are never going to get into the PAC, BIG, SEC, or ACC so if this is not good enough for BYU nothing will be
09-03-2021 09:11 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(09-03-2021 09:07 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  

Kind words for all four schools; very well said. And if this materializes (as leaked) Cincinnati fans will be ecstatic for both the football and basketball opportunities it creates.

I've enjoyed our rivalries and games with USF, SMU, and Memphis and wish all of them continued success. And yes, historically the realignment wheel spins more than we realize and there will be opportunities again for those universities.

As a USF fan, I am very happy for Cincinnati. Through three conferences, we have played you in football for 18 straight years, which for us is an eternity, LOL. Even the virus didn't stop that.

We are going to miss you guys, our last link to the better CUSA then Big East days. Of course, that looking-backwards thing is a big problem for USF's fan base, and a contributor to why we aren't going along with you.

Good Luck Bearcats!

04-cheers
09-03-2021 09:17 AM
otown Offline
All American

(09-03-2021 09:07 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(09-03-2021 08:55 AM)otown Wrote:  

Wish I could write a scathing-rant reply, but a lot of what you say is true. I would add:

1) Yes, UCF made a wise and bold move to build an OCS. USF bungled this, even though we had BCS money at the time. Dumb move. Probably why our two schools are on different paths now. And that's on the administration.

But, our administration has done a cracker-jack job in the bigger picture, making USF a better overall institution. Athletics is a part of the picture but it's not the biggest part. Overall, USF has never been a stronger school, and that's ultimately what I judge administration on.

2) Also, I blame, me, the fans, even more. The biggest difference I see between UCF and USF right now is fan support. You guys have a very solid core of fans and the atmosphere at your games is palpable. At USF, we have a much smaller core of fans, and because we play in an NFL stadium, there is no atmosphere.

Two things IMO contributed to this. The lack of an OCS means we have poor soil in which to grow a fan base and football culture. But also, psychologically, we have never gotten over the demise of the Big East. Ten years on, USF fans still have never taken to competition in the AAC. We miss playing WV, Pitt, Louisville, Syracuse and Rutgers. It was nice that Cincy and UConn, who we also enjoyed playing, fell with us, but too much was lost. Mentally, we folded over that, fallen and haven't gotten up. That's on us too, we should have gotten up, shook the dust off and gotten back in the saddle, but save for a year or two there when Taggart developed some excitement, we didn't.

Now, we no longer play UConn either and we're going to miss playing Cincy too.

I agree about academics. USF has done a spectacular job on that. However, doesn't mean they should have put athletics completely on the back burner like they did. UCF has built up their academics too (obviously still behind USF), but they also did not ignore athletics. A competant school's administration should be able to juggle the two.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2021 09:24 AM by otown.)
09-03-2021 09:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.