Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What if big 12 takes aac big 4?
jaybird44 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: old dominion,va
MyBB What if big 12 takes aac big 4?
What if big 12 takes ucf,cincinnati,houston,and Memphis? Does Navy leave? Does AAC die? Does AAC grab some other schools? My favorite,they always say,do they stay at 7? LOL. What are your thoughts? Does AAC stretch from coast to coast and ventures into Asia? Of for once AAC becomes realistic and understands that they are not a power conference? Who do you think they pursue?
08-31-2021 06:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
RE: What if big 12 takes aac big 4?
(08-31-2021 06:26 PM)jaybird44 Wrote:  What if big 12 takes ucf,cincinnati,houston,and Memphis? Does Navy leave? Does AAC die? Does AAC grab some other schools? My favorite,they always say,do they stay at 7? LOL. What are your thoughts? Does AAC stretch from coast to coast and ventures into Asia? Of for once AAC becomes realistic and understands that they are not a power conference? Who do you think they pursue?

The AAC wont die. It will definitely becomes something very different---it may even become completely unrecognizable. The most likely option remains the raiding of the top of the SB/CUSA in an attempt to remain the top G5 conference. Or--you could even see something very unexpected---like cooperating with elements within SB/CUSA so that the cooperating teams create 3 geographically coherent regional conferences using the existing shells of the AAC, SB, and CUSA.
08-31-2021 06:33 PM
PicksUp Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTEP, Texas
App St, Marshall, Rice and Army!

Just throwing names out.
08-31-2021 06:45 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(08-31-2021 06:45 PM)PicksUp Wrote:  App St, Marshall, Rice and Army!

Just throwing names out.

Ive said this before---if they lose 4--especially if Navy then bails as well---the AAC will have a decision to make.

SMU
Temple
Tulane
Temple
ECU
Houston or USF

I could see that group completely changing gears and becoming an academics based conference. Add Rice, Buffalo, and UAB. See if Navy still wants to leave. They may like that high end private school West Division. If they do---your done at 10 schools. Then talk to Army and AF---they may be interested as well. If so---you now have a very unique identity that probably would get a decent TV deal.
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2021 07:21 PM by Attackcoog.)
08-31-2021 07:21 PM
Realignment Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USC Trojans
Memphis won't get the add it would be USF to partner with UCF if they go to 4. It makes the most sense and you have a South Division of the Texas & Florida schools so an 8-game rotation becomes very pleasant for the North Division. It's the best-case scenario for the Big 12 right now to add Cincinnati, Houston, UCF & USF. The AAC has an easy backfill Rice is definitely one of them. The AAC then would have to decide what type of conference they want to be and if Navy leaves, that'll be a punch in the gut. If you make it a more football-focused conference then it's still competitive. The AAC West would be set if Rice fills in for Houston and Navy stays. It's figuring out what to do with Temple & ECU. If you go the academic route then Buffalo & UMass (yes, UMass) become really appealing. I think you would want a school in Virginia so you should take a look at Old Dominion or Marshall (for the brand name), but I know both don't have the best academics. Georgia State is interesting and definitely UAB.
08-31-2021 07:43 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
Well, they’re going to lose at least two or three teams, so they probably should be working on contingency plans. It’s possible they could lose four teams but I doubt it. I think BYU is pretty much a slam dunk.

However, they are definitely going to lose two or three out of Cincinnati, USF, UCF, Memphis, Houston, Tulane, SMU, etc.

My best guess is that they are going to lose Cincinnati, UCF and Houston. That’s a gut punch to that conference and frankly, I’m not sure what they do next?
08-31-2021 08:22 PM
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Frank the Tank suggested a decapitation, taking BYU and then three, Cincy, UCF and Houston from the AAC. There would be no way the AAC could claim their champion equaled the B12 when trying get one of the 6 slots.

The AAC TV contract identified 5 schools as required to keep their contract from the dredded "looked in." Those schools are Memphis, South Florida, Houston, Cincy and UCF. By taking three the American would get a double whammy, likely a reduction in TV revenue.

There is no need to take a 4th.
08-31-2021 08:29 PM
DFW HOYA Online
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(08-31-2021 07:21 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Just throwing names out.

Ive said this before---if they lose 4--especially if Navy then bails as well---the AAC will have a decision to make.

SMU
Temple
Tulane
ECU
Houston or USF

SMU-Mountain West
Temple: UConn-styled independent
Tulane: CUSA
ECU: UConn-styled independent
Houston or USF: Mountain West
08-31-2021 08:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
(08-31-2021 08:33 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  

Just throwing names out.

SMU
Temple
Tulane
ECU
Houston or USF

SMU-Mountain West

USF in the MWC -- bold.
08-31-2021 08:59 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California

Just throwing names out.

SMU
Temple
Tulane
ECU
Houston or USF

SMU-Mountain West

Tulsa should be added to that list.

I agree that if Houston and SMU are both still available, the Mountain West would try to acquire both.

Some or all of that AAC group would keep the AAC name and conference structure whatever happens. The core conference designation and NCAA autobids are too valuable to just dissolve the league.
08-31-2021 09:13 PM
Crayton Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
(08-31-2021 07:21 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Ive said this before---if they lose 4--especially if Navy then bails as well---the AAC will have a decision to make.

SMU
Temple
Tulane
Temple
ECU
Houston or USF

I could see that group completely changing gears and becoming an academics based conference. Add Rice, Buffalo, and UAB. See if Navy still wants to leave. They may like that high end private school West Division. If they do---your done at 10 schools. Then talk to Army and AF---they may be interested as well. If so---you now have a very unique identity that probably would get a decent TV deal.

That is my take as well. As long as the 4 are all taken simultaneously, the AAC 2.0 will have a new identity and it likely won't be as "Power 6"/football-first as AAC 1.0. Not sure about the UAB choice, but Rice and Buffalo are spot on. The MAC is "stable" would Buffalo jump to such a spread out conference?

WEST
SMU, Tulane, Tulsa, Rice, Navy

EAST
Temple, Buffalo, ECU, USF, UAB

Further Dominos:
None. UCSA puts 1 F_U team in a division with UTEP and stays at 12.
MAC stays at 11 but maybe cuts Army in on some MACtion to fill November dates.
08-31-2021 09:19 PM
Advertisement

Crayton Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
Hmm, if it is Houston or Memphis, not USF, who is left behind, I could see them calling the Mountain West and taking SMU with them. That may put the 4 remaining AAC members (assuming Navy has left) in position to build the fabled Eastern G5.

American-North
Temple, ECU, Marshall, WKU, MTSU, ODU
American-South
Tulane, Tulsa, UAB, Georgia Southern, Southern Miss, App St

The 8 remaining Conference USA members and 8 remaining Sun Belt members still fail to realign geographially, but do one better by entering into a scheduling alliance.

Conference USA-West
UTEP, UTSA, Rice, UNT
Conference USA-East
La Tech, FIU, FAU, Charlotte
Sun Belt-West
Texas State, Arkansas State, La Monroe, Louisiana
Sun Belt-East
South Alabama, Troy, Coastal Carolina, Georgia State

Teams play the 3 teams in their division, 3 teams in their opposite division, and 2 teams from the same-named division of the opposite conference. Note that La Tech avoids La Monroe and Louisiana.
08-31-2021 09:47 PM
Thewavefan Online
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulane
(08-31-2021 09:47 PM)Crayton Wrote:  Hmm, if it is Houston or Memphis, not USF, who is left behind, I could see them calling the Mountain West and taking SMU with them. That may put the 4 remaining AAC members (assuming Navy has left) in position to build the fabled Eastern G5.

American-North
Temple, ECU, Marshall, WKU, MTSU, ODU
American-South
Tulane, Tulsa, UAB, Georgia Southern, Southern Miss, App St

The 8 remaining Conference USA members and 8 remaining Sun Belt members still fail to realign geographially, but do one better by entering into a scheduling alliance.

Conference USA-West
UTEP, UTSA, Rice, UNT
Conference USA-East
La Tech, FIU, FAU, Charlotte
Sun Belt-West
Texas State, Arkansas State, La Monroe, Louisiana
Sun Belt-East
South Alabama, Troy, Coastal Carolina, Georgia State

Teams play the 3 teams in their division, 3 teams in their opposite division, and 2 teams from the same-named division of the opposite conference. Note that La Tech avoids La Monroe and Louisiana.
Vomit, Tulane would never and I mean never be in a conference with USM again much less App state too. Our admin would never allow such an action to take place. Our fan base would riot and rightfully so.
08-31-2021 10:28 PM
Econcoog Offline
Water Engineer

Just throwing names out.

SMU
Temple
Tulane
ECU
Houston or USF

SMU-Mountain West

I agree.

If UH, Memphis and SMU are left behind I think they should go to the MTW and form a nice core with BSU, San Diego St and Air Force.
08-31-2021 10:36 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
If the AAC loses those 4 and drops down to 7, I think Navy Stays because they're more interested in the middle of the county teams; SMU, Tulane and Tulsa in particular. So the ACC adds 3 more so they can have a championship game. My Guesses are #1 UAB, #2 Old Dominion, & #3 Charlotte.

But I don't think the AAC is going to lose 4. In 2025, Okl & Tex start play in the 16-team SEC. The ACC, B1G and Pac 12 decide not to expand. The now 8-team B12 Adds BYU and Cincinnati so they can have a championship game. BYU may be Football only. That could go either way. Anyway, the AAC will be at 10 schools and won't have to add anyone.
09-01-2021 01:07 AM
BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
Man I don’t think they know who they want. I wouldn’t be surprised they lean towards a old SWC feel to the conference with additions of Houston, SMU, Tulsa so Okla St has in state rival, and bring in Arkansas State to feel the void of the Razorbacks.
09-01-2021 06:29 AM
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(09-01-2021 06:29 AM)BigOwensboroCard Wrote:  Man I don’t think they know who they want. I wouldn’t be surprised they lean towards a old SWC feel to the conference with additions of Houston, SMU, Tulsa so Okla St has in state rival, and bring in Arkansas State to feel the void of the Razorbacks.

Except they'll ask the telecast networks ... via their "media consultants" acting as go-between ... and the telecast networks will say there are other sets that result in substantially more media value, ...

... and so they won't add the four of Houston, SMU, Tulsa and Arkansas State after all.
(08-31-2021 06:26 PM)jaybird44 Wrote:  What if big 12 takes ucf,cincinnati,houston,and Memphis? Does Navy leave? Does AAC die? Does AAC grab some other schools? My favorite, they always say, do they stay at 7? LOL. What are your thoughts?

Well, if they want BYU and BYU accepts, then it will only be 1 or 3 AAC schools. If BYU doesn't accept, it's hard to tell whether UC plus one more AAC school seals it, or whether they go for a second pair of AAC schools.

I am, indeed, not so sure about Memphis and UCF ... it seems more like Memphis happens if they decide they don't want UCF on an island, and they have already settled on BYU, UC and Houston. If the purported reluctance to take Houston is real, that could end up at BYU, UC, UCF/USF instead ... and if BYU says no, could end up at UC/Houston, with the choice between UCF/USF and standing pat at 10.

But altogether, even if four among the six "contract term" schools leave, the AAC doesn't die. I would not be surprised if adding Rice to the Western division holds Navy, and then the AAC only needs to find two more to have two divisions of five.

Quote: Does AAC stretch from coast to coast and ventures into Asia?
Lol indeed.

Quote: Of for once AAC becomes realistic and understands that they are not a power conference? Who do you think they pursue?

Other than Rice if Houston goes, I'd not have a strong view on who they would take.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2021 06:48 AM by BruceMcF.)
09-01-2021 06:35 AM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
AAC probably just backfills from CUSA and Sun Belt and then those conferences poach from the FCS WAC and Atlantic Sun.
09-01-2021 08:39 AM
freshtop Online
All American

I Root For: WKU

Just throwing names out.

SMU
Temple
Tulane
ECU
Houston or USF

SMU-Mountain West

Nah. Whoever remains in the AAC will still hold the cards to poach other leagues, especially C-USA, if for no other reason than many of the east teams in C-USA want out. I think UConn is showing just how fun indy football is (not very).

ECU, Temple, Marshall, ODU, WKU, MTSU, Charlotte, Georgia State, App State, Coastal, USF, Georgia Southern, UAB, and Southern Miss is a better option than indy , a solid bball league, and a pretty tight geographic footprint. Its an obvious downgrade for ECU, Temple, and USF but better than seppuku.
09-01-2021 08:47 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I would go for hybrid mix

AAC

West:
Wichita state
Tulsa
SMU
Rice
Tulane
St Louis U

East
UAB
USF
Georgia state
East Carolina
VCU
Temple

Temple might prefer the A10, than the AAC could bring in maybe ODU, Richmond or college of Charleston. I would give some football only invites to get to 12 from army, navy, temple, UConn, umass whoever is needed
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2021 08:52 AM by bluesox.)
09-01-2021 08:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.