Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Teel: ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12 alliance could profoundly affect football playoff….
CardinalJim Online
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
Teel: ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12 alliance could profoundly affect football playoff….
08-31-2021 03:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
RE: Teel: ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12 alliance could profoundly affect football playoff….
Something tells me there are too many obstacles. The SEC rivalries is a huge issue.

Iowa/Iowa St is another one.

And let's see if the Big 12 gets carved up?
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2021 05:53 AM by TexanMark.)
08-31-2021 05:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
RE: Teel: ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12 alliance could profoundly affect football playoff….
I could see the Alliance conferences backing an 8 team CFP coupled with an increase to 13 regular season games starting in what is now Week Zero.

But just about anything they could do would benefit the SEC as much as the Alliance, so if diminishing the influence of the SEC and ESPN is a goal, it won't succeed. Increasing revenue, yes - weaken SEC, no.
08-31-2021 05:04 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(08-31-2021 05:04 AM)ken d Wrote:  I could see the Alliance conferences backing an 8 team CFP coupled with an increase to 13 regular season games starting in what is now Week Zero.

But just about anything they could do would benefit the SEC as much as the Alliance, so if diminishing the influence of the SEC and ESPN is a goal, it won't succeed. Increasing revenue, yes - weaken SEC, no.

However, if the 41 stay together and maybe recruit either the AAC or NewB12 it keeps SEC within their lane.
08-31-2021 05:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(08-31-2021 05:01 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  Something tells me there are too many obstacles. The SEC rivalries is a huge issue.

Is colorado-colorado state and annual game still?
08-31-2021 08:08 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(08-31-2021 08:08 AM)solohawks Wrote:  
(08-31-2021 05:01 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  Something tells me there are too many obstacles. The SEC rivalries is a huge issue.

Is colorado-colorado state and annual game still?

At the moment...that is a G5 opponent
08-31-2021 08:39 AM
Advertisement

nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
(08-31-2021 05:04 AM)ken d Wrote:  I could see the Alliance conferences backing an 8 team CFP coupled with an increase to 13 regular season games starting in what is now Week Zero.

If the compromise is 8 team playoff, SEC/B1G won't allow auto bids (ie each conference champ).
08-31-2021 11:01 AM
curtis0620 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt
The purpose of the alliance is to limit the SEC potential bids.
08-31-2021 11:34 AM
random asian guy Offline
All American

I Root For: VT, Georgetown
I have been saying that the ACC would prefer a smaller playoff format not necessarily because of ND but mainly because the ACC football is not as deep as some of other conferences. It will likley become a single bid conference.
08-31-2021 11:38 AM
Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa
Teel has four coaches (Sweeney, Brown, Fuente and Mendenhall) on-record against CFP expansion to 12 teams. Three of the ADs (Radakovich, Cunningham and Williams) from those schools are on the Alliance’s working group. The CFP 12 team proposal is truly on life-support.

Bubba Cunningham’s proposal makes a lot of sense from the ACC perspective…expand the playoffs to 8 teams; guarantee the 4 winners of the power conferences, plus two other conference champions (B12 + best G5), and two at-large selections (for ND, additional SEC, etc.).
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2021 04:30 PM by Wahoowa84.)
08-31-2021 12:22 PM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(08-31-2021 12:22 PM)Wahoowa84 Wrote:  Teel has four coaches (Sweeney, Brown, Fuente and Mendenhall) on-record against CFP expansion to 12 teams. Three of the ADs (Radakovich, Cunningham and Williams) from those schools are on the Alliance’s working group). The CFP 12 team proposal is truly on life-support.

Bubba Cunningham’s proposal makes a lot of sense from the ACC perspective…expand the playoffs to 8 teams; guarantee the 4 winners of the power conferences, plus two other conference champions (B12 + best G5), and two at-large selections (for ND, additional SEC, etc.).

That's ok as a starting position for negotiations, but ultimately I see no more than 4 champs and no less than 4 at-large bids... so, essentially, one extra slot in play for the SEC and the B1G.
08-31-2021 04:07 PM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
Wahoowa84's 8 team CFP could also solve another problem: how to deal with conferences wanting to maintain Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl tie-ins every year.

Play the quarterfinals (round of 8) at the Orange, Fiesta, Cotton and Peach Bowls on the Saturday before New Year's Day.

On New Year's the B1G and PAC are matched in the Rose Bowl and the SEC and ACC in the Sugar Bowl, all with teams that didn't qualify for the CFP8. These are the bowls that pay a premium in the current NY6 model. Most years these will still be very good teams - probably the #2 teams from the B1G, PAC and ACC and the #3 team from the SEC (if they get an at large CFP spot).

Then award the semifinals to the Rose and Sugar on the first Saturday in January and put the Finals out to bid.
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2021 04:14 PM by ken d.)
08-31-2021 04:12 PM
random asian guy Offline
All American

(08-31-2021 04:07 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(08-31-2021 12:22 PM)Wahoowa84 Wrote:  Teel has four coaches (Sweeney, Brown, Fuente and Mendenhall) on-record against CFP expansion to 12 teams. Three of the ADs (Radakovich, Cunningham and Williams) from those schools are on the Alliance’s working group). The CFP 12 team proposal is truly on life-support.

That's ok as a starting position for negotiations, but ultimately I see no more than 4 champs and no less than 4 at-large bids... so, essentially, one extra slot in play for the SEC and the B1G.

I would like to see 4 champs + one autobid for G6 + 3 at large bids.

Or the 4 team playoffs after the bow games.
08-31-2021 05:20 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
One of the quickest ways to kill interest is to have 4 SEC teams in the field and have them advance one game each.

Variety, even if it does not produce the best champion is better for the sport. People are already tired of Clemson, Alabama, and Ohio State.
08-31-2021 05:27 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(08-31-2021 05:27 PM)Statefan Wrote:  One of the quickest ways to kill interest is to have 4 SEC teams in the field and have them advance one game each.

Variety, even if it does not produce the best champion is better for the sport. People are already tired of Clemson, Alabama, and Ohio State.
When you play to please the audience instead of to attain the best sporting result you cease to be a sport and become entertainment. The NFL advertises its games as entertainment and with gambling ties and the house beating the closing line ~85% of the time and controlling spreads with PI and Holding calls that's exactly what it is.

While I agree that there are risks to interest with the present model it is still a sport in spite of the CFP and ESPN's interest in ratings. The kids still want to win. What I fear about NIL is that if they have a path to notoriety and money beside the games the games will suffer even more. I'm keeping an eye open for just that. I quit watching when spoiled players start dogging it (ala the non significant bowls) or worse fixing games.
08-31-2021 05:35 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
(08-31-2021 05:35 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(08-31-2021 05:27 PM)Statefan Wrote:  One of the quickest ways to kill interest is to have 4 SEC teams in the field and have them advance one game each.

When you play to please the audience instead of to attain the best sporting result you cease to be a sport and become entertainment. The NFL advertises its games as entertainment and with gambling ties and the house beating the closing line ~85% of the time and controlling spreads with PI and Holding calls that's exactly what it is.

While I agree that there are risks to interest with the present model it is still a sport in spite of the CFP and ESPN's interest in ratings. The kids still want to win. What I fear about NIL is that if they have a path to notoriety and money beside the games the games will suffer even more. I'm keeping an eye open for just that. I quit watching when spoiled players start dogging it (ala the non significant bowls) or worse fixing games.

I don't disagree with you in principle and I find the NFL boring. For me consolidation has removed the "pretenders" from the chance at the playoffs so Penn State, Miami, TAMU, and P12 schools are tossed to the curb before the end of November. Ideally Auburn, Florida, and Tennessee would give Bama a better fight. Michigan, Penn State, MSU, and Wisky would give Ohio State a run for the money, and here at home if FSU, Miami, VT, and UNC or State gave Clemson a run that would be better. Maybe what I really should have hypothesized is that the sport suffers from having only 3-5 contenders out of 60. It needs 10-12.
08-31-2021 05:59 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(08-31-2021 05:59 PM)Statefan Wrote:  
(08-31-2021 05:35 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

I don't disagree with you in principle and I find the NFL boring. For me consolidation has removed the "pretenders" from the chance at the playoffs so Penn State, Miami, TAMU, and P12 schools are tossed to the curb before the end of November. Ideally Auburn, Florida, and Tennessee would give Bama a better fight. Michigan, Penn State, MSU, and Wisky would give Ohio State a run for the money, and here at home if FSU, Miami, VT, and UNC or State gave Clemson a run that would be better. Maybe what I really should have hypothesized is that the sport suffers from having only 3-5 contenders out of 60. It needs 10-12.

Actually the only difference is coaching. Saban, Dabo, and Patrick are on a very short list of a very few decent head coaches left in the game. Saban's talent is in identifying talent, both in players and coaches, and then in managing them. Nothing escapes his eye from attitude to work ethic, to personal life. What he controls he plans to the smallest detail and expects 80 hour work weeks from coaches during the season.

Dabo also knows how to spot talent in both coaches and players and also pays attention to all details. Dabo however manages more loosely. He doesn't turn over a subservient staff regularly, but prefers to hang onto one which is loyal.

Honestly they have another thing in common as did Snyder, they know how to teach the game of football position by position. The old saw is those born with talent can't explain it and those who had to learn how to be talented can.

What you are seeing in the college game is basically remedial football as the number of high school coaches who know what they are doing has dwindled to a few handfuls. The rest stick the fastest kids on offense in skill positions and toss them the ball and hope they outrun the defense. Malzahn, Freeze, and so many others who have a year and get popular will never consistently win. Why? They are lazy, little better than H.S. coaches, and don't have a clue as to how to spot or develop real talent. They do what they have to to collect 4 & 5 star magazine rated recruits and then they play those kids until they drop.

So you are attributing the concentration of power to the wrong influences. It's not unlimited resources, nor even top dollar recruits, but rather the dwindling number of coaches who actually develop talent, cull attitude problems before signing them, and can teach the fundamentals of each position, or hire those who can.

Urban and Spurrier could and we'll see how good Patrick is in a couple of years.
08-31-2021 07:13 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville

This bolded part -- the increasing the regular season to 13 games -- is what will have to happen for the Alliance to have any immediate impact.

It would allow the status quo for all members in the conferences, and make room for one of the "made for TV" Alliance games that could be shopped to generate more revenue for the 3 conferences.
08-31-2021 07:19 PM
random asian guy Offline
All American

More from David Teel.

Teel: Reaching consensus on College Football Playoff expansion more difficult than many envisioned

The 12-team bracket proposed in June? The concept that many of us, including me, applauded for its innovation and inclusion? The model that appeared fast-tracked for approval last Tuesday?

While still on the table, the idea has received considerable pushback — for quite valid reasons.

Speaking at the ACC’s preseason gathering in July, Bockhorst personified the player-safety issues that must be addressed before any expansion of the season.

The player safety is a good reason to ditch the 12 team playoff.
09-30-2021 11:04 PM
random asian guy Offline
All American

(09-30-2021 11:04 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  More from David Teel.

Teel: Reaching consensus on College Football Playoff expansion more difficult than many envisioned

The 12-team bracket proposed in June? The concept that many of us, including me, applauded for its innovation and inclusion? The model that appeared fast-tracked for approval last Tuesday?

While still on the table, the idea has received considerable pushback — for quite valid reasons.

Speaking at the ACC’s preseason gathering in July, Bockhorst personified the player-safety issues that must be addressed before any expansion of the season.

The player safety is a good reason to ditch the 12 team playoff.

It appears that the Alliance is now pusing for a 8 team playoff. I have been saying the ACC would prefer a smaller playoff field. In the end, joining (organizing) the Alliance may turn out to be a great idea.
10-30-2021 11:10 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.