https://www.oklahoman.com/story/sports/2...584257001/
08-26-2021 08:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
RE: BYU/Big12 article
(08-26-2021 08:12 AM)Jackson1011 Wrote:  I’ve found this guy is usually plugged in on the big12

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/sports/2...584257001/

Its behind a pay wall. What does it say. Cliff Notes version will suffice. 07-coffee3
08-26-2021 08:15 AM
Jackson1011 Online

I Root For:
Oh man I literally just read it now I can’t see it either. Basically BYU is a must. The honor code has been adjusted to be less controversial and Sunday play can be worked around. Also it said boise is an interesting option with a growing population and new time slot the league could offer the networks
08-26-2021 08:23 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(08-26-2021 08:23 AM)Jackson1011 Wrote:  Oh man I literally just read it now I can’t see it either. Basically BYU is a must. The honor code has been adjusted to be less controversial and Sunday play can be worked around. Also it said boise is an interesting option with a growing population and new time slot the league could offer the networks

Thanks. 02-13-banana COGS 04-cheers
08-26-2021 08:27 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
But BYU is not a guaranteed yes.
08-26-2021 10:29 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
I just can't see the Big 12 paying BYU enough to make them give up their BYUtv contract.

I would imagine that BYU football is a large part of what keeps BYUtv on the air. The network is available in 60 million US cable households, and it's a key part of the Mormon church's proselytizing efforts.

How many cable providers and households would drop BYUtv if it doesn't have it's #1 rated show? I don't know the answer. Neither does the Big 12. I'm guessing BYU has a decent estimate that they'll keep close to the vest. Whatever the number is, will a church with $100 billion in the bank be swayed by a measly $10 million a year bump in football revenue?
08-26-2021 10:41 AM
Advertisement

HawaiiMongoose Online
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
(08-26-2021 10:29 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  But BYU is not a guaranteed yes.

Exactly. BYU is clearly the most valuable chess piece left on the board, and the Big 12 school administrations that had qualms in 2016 about BYU’s policies and practices are no longer in a position to be so picky. But whether BYU will join a conference that’s no longer in the big-boy club — as underlined by its exclusion from the Alliance — is an open question.
08-26-2021 10:55 AM
Ragu Offline
All American

I Root For: FAU/FSU
BYU/Big12 article
Pac 12 should scoop them up first

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
08-26-2021 10:58 AM
1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
(08-26-2021 10:41 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  I just can't see the Big 12 paying BYU enough to make them give up their BYUtv contract.

I would imagine that BYU football is a large part of what keeps BYUtv on the air. The network is available in 60 million US cable households, and it's a key part of the Mormon church's proselytizing efforts.

How many cable providers and households would drop BYUtv if it doesn't have it's #1 rated show? I don't know the answer. Neither does the Big 12. I'm guessing BYU has a decent estimate that they'll keep close to the vest. Whatever the number is, will a church with $100 billion in the bank be swayed by a measly $10 million a year bump in football revenue?

BYUtv is more exposure for their worst games than anything else. A league where everyone has a tier 3 contract is easy to work around.

I don't see this as a serious issue. BYUtv had wide distribution before they went independent anyway.
08-26-2021 11:00 AM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(08-26-2021 10:41 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  I just can't see the Big 12 paying BYU enough to make them give up their BYUtv contract.

One thing is that the Big 12 is actually one of the few places where BYUtv works since members retain their third tier TV rights. Practically speaking, it wouldn’t be different than BYU’s independent contract with ESPN where the first tier games go to ESPN while BYU retains 1 or 2 games per year for BYUtv. My sense is that BYUtv is intended to be a recruitment platform for the church as opposed to a moneymaker in and of itself - having some live sports on BYUtv is more of an incentive for cable companies to carry the channel at little to no cost as opposed to actually paying much (or anything) for it like the Big Ten Network or SEC Network.

Now, BYU does have some aspects of control that it probably likes with independence. The question is whether the remaining Big 12 is good enough to be a power conference (even if it’s firmly in the 5th place position) and, if so, that might be enough for BYU.

That being said, I agree with the consternation because it’s *really* hard to read how the Big 12 feels about BYU and vice versa. They are simultaneously the most valuable national brand available but also the one that is quixotic in what it wants (as matters other than pure football really do matter to BYU’s leadership).
08-26-2021 11:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jgkojak Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kansas
As far as Boise, UNLV or Colorado St would be a better travel partner out west.

UNLV in a growing destination market with tons of eyeballs, Co St has B12 academics and facilities and would likely grow into the P5 school role once in B12.

There is also some delicious irony if BYU is added with sin city as its travel partner
08-26-2021 11:30 AM
Advertisement

Jared7 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: TCU
(08-26-2021 11:11 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

One thing is that the Big 12 is actually one of the few places where BYUtv works since members retain their third tier TV rights. Practically speaking, it wouldn’t be different than BYU’s independent contract with ESPN where the first tier games go to ESPN while BYU retains 1 or 2 games per year for BYUtv. My sense is that BYUtv is intended to be a recruitment platform for the church as opposed to a moneymaker in and of itself - having some live sports on BYUtv is more of an incentive for cable companies to carry the channel at little to no cost as opposed to actually paying much (or anything) for it like the Big Ten Network or SEC Network.

Now, BYU does have some aspects of control that it probably likes with independence. The question is whether the remaining Big 12 is good enough to be a power conference (even if it’s firmly in the 5th place position) and, if so, that might be enough for BYU.

That being said, I agree with the consternation because it’s *really* hard to read how the Big 12 feels about BYU and vice versa. They are simultaneously the most valuable national brand available but also the one that is quixotic in what it wants (as matters other than pure football really do matter to BYU’s leadership).
The key for BYU and BYUtv is that they want re-broadcast rights, that is, the ability to replay the game late that night or the next day after games for their worldwide audience to see the game on BYUtv. They didn't have it with Comcast/CSTV and the mtn.; they have it with ESPN now. If the Big 12 stays with ESPN and Fox, then they might not get it with Fox. This was why they said they left the MWC.

I'm coming around on BYU for the Big 12 (assuming the Pac says no tomorrow). Despite their conference-wrecking history. BYU is certainly controversial and controversy sells. They would bring a whole lot of interest to the Big 12.
08-26-2021 11:43 AM
HawaiiMongoose Online
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
(08-26-2021 10:55 AM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  
(08-26-2021 10:29 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  But BYU is not a guaranteed yes.

Exactly. BYU is clearly the most valuable chess piece left on the board, and the Big 12 school administrations that had qualms in 2016 about BYU’s policies and practices are no longer in a position to be so picky. But whether BYU will join a conference that’s no longer in the big-boy club — as underlined by its exclusion from the Alliance — is an open question.

I should have added that, while this is an open question, I’m of the opinion that BYU would accept a Big 12 invitation provided that (1) it’s become clear that no more Big 12 schools will be poached in this round of realignment, (2) the invitation is for all sports, and (3) only one other school is invited, keeping total membership at 10 to prevent the per-member payout from being further diluted.

Back on July 21st when the UT/OU news first broke I opined that the most likely replacements would be Cincinnati and Houston. Based on everything I know now that I didn’t know then, I’m also “coming around on BYU” as Jared7 puts it. Assuming the Pac-12 announces no expansion, my predicted Big 12 additions are now BYU and Cincinnati.
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2021 12:24 PM by HawaiiMongoose.)
08-26-2021 12:19 PM
Crayton Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
Perhaps the Alliance will condition inclusion for the Big 12 if they expand with certain schools. BYU would be a nice school to be a part of the Alliance, especially if the current 3 conferences don’t have to house them.
08-26-2021 01:17 PM
GoBuckeyes1047 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio State
(08-26-2021 01:17 PM)Crayton Wrote:  Perhaps the Alliance will condition inclusion for the Big 12 if they expand with certain schools. BYU would be a nice school to be a part of the Alliance, especially if the current 3 conferences don’t have to house them.

I could see the Alliance add BYU football and the Big East to get to 42 football members and 52 Olympic members. I'm not sure if the Big 12 will be included, but I wouldn't be opposed
08-26-2021 03:43 PM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Nobody in Las Vegas gives a flip about UNLV football.

That might be something the NIL could change. Maybe.
08-26-2021 03:58 PM
Advertisement

Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(08-26-2021 01:17 PM)Crayton Wrote:  Perhaps the Alliance will condition inclusion for the Big 12 if they expand with certain schools. BYU would be a nice school to be a part of the Alliance, especially if the current 3 conferences don’t have to house them.

They will need some size moving forward if they want to be considered club level.

14, 16, 18 members. Coast-2-Coast and fat in the middle.
08-26-2021 04:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(08-26-2021 03:58 PM)Claw Wrote:  Nobody in Las Vegas gives a flip about UNLV football.

NFL stadium makes them seem bigger.
08-26-2021 04:05 PM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(08-26-2021 04:05 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  
(08-26-2021 03:58 PM)Claw Wrote:  Nobody in Las Vegas gives a flip about UNLV football.

NFL stadium makes them seem bigger.

I watched Memphis play in a half-empty huge stadium for years. It doesn't help the team.

Ask Tulane about playing in the Superdome. It does NOT help.

To make matters worse, they will book games like LSU vs USC in 2024. Teams from out of town will pack the same stadium that looks like a ghost town when you play.

It's not good for the program.

The NIL might allow UNLV to buy better talent, but if the gambling industry is excluded as it should be, there will be no help there either.
08-26-2021 04:13 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Nobody watches UNLV football games. With the Raiders there they are even more dead. They can't recruit squat. Worse than that, nobody thinks UNLV is even a mediocre school, let alone a good school to attend.
08-26-2021 04:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.