Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What about Missouri to the B1G with Kansas?
swardy76 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ACC,BC,Clemson
I don't think anyone has brought this up recently so I will.

Missouri seems like the best partner to go to the B1G with Kansas. I just can't see why the B1G would double up on Iowa with ISU.

Would Missouri be able to leave the SEC? Would Missouri fans care if they were in the B1G playing teams like Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, and Illinois? It certainly feels like a better fit (as many have pointed out before).

And what about the SEC? Would they care if Missouri was gone? It would open up the door for Texas Tech, OSU, or WVU. I think all have better programs than Missouri and all seem to fit better.

I guess it is a TV market but Missouri just seems like such an outlier.

On the other hand, I could see the SEC doing this just to get the ball rolling on B12 dissolution. If the B1G takes Kansas and Missouri and the SEC takes OSU, that gets us to six and puts pressure on the ACC and PAC to pick over the rest.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2021 05:21 PM by swardy76.)
08-25-2021 05:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Once a Knight... Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF Knights
RE: What about Missouri to the B1G with Kansas?
This logically makes sense, but would Missouri leave the SEC at this point? And if so, who would the SEC replace Missouri with?

Sent from my LM-G820 using CSNbbs mobile app
08-25-2021 05:21 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
I don’t think the SEC would mind at all - good shot at upgrading. But there’s not much incentive for Mizzou to burn a bridge with the SEC - academics, IL exporting more students than the whole SEC footprint, and no exit fee notwithstanding.
08-25-2021 05:27 PM
swardy76 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ACC,BC,Clemson
(08-25-2021 05:21 PM)Once a Knight... Wrote:  This logically makes sense, but would Missouri leave the SEC at this point? And if so, who would the SEC replace Missouri with?

I would think TT or OSU.

Again, it takes the L8 down to six and puts the B12 in a much more precarious spot. And maybe it puts pressure on the ACC and PAC to move on the remainder. It could be a clever move by the SEC to expedite the UT/OU exit.
08-25-2021 05:39 PM
pki1998 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Xavier, ND, Cin
(08-25-2021 05:21 PM)Once a Knight... Wrote:  This logically makes sense, but would Missouri leave the SEC at this point? And if so, who would the SEC replace Missouri with?

Why would they add anyone right now?

Oklahoma State might have the support of OKlahoma but why wouldn’t anyone else in the SEC want to add a second school in Oklahoma. It’s a small state population wise and Oklahoma more than covers it

Absent political pressure, I don’t think Texas Tech would have a chance. They don’t add anything to the SEC as a whole. Why would Texas and Texas A&M want to bring a tag along little brother?

Really no one in the Big12 is going to move the needle for the SEC. They could attack the ACC now or wait till the grant of rights is over. At that point They have their pick of teams that do add value and culturally belong in the SEC, like Georgia Tech, Florida State, or Clemson. Or expand into new markets like North Carolina and Virginia
08-25-2021 06:59 PM
jgkojak Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kansas
The B1G, years ago, could have pounced and had MO and KS instead of Rutgers and MD... would have worked out better for all schools had they done that...
08-25-2021 07:28 PM
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I’d love it if the Big 10 could pull off an Oklahoma and Missouri add but I’m afraid it’s too late now.
08-25-2021 07:29 PM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
(08-25-2021 07:28 PM)jgkojak Wrote:  The B1G, years ago, could have pounced and had MO and KS instead of Rutgers and MD... would have worked out better for all schools had they done that...

Does Kansas bring New York City to the Big Ten Network??? It’s the same reason they won’t be added this time around.
08-25-2021 07:33 PM
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
(08-25-2021 07:28 PM)jgkojak Wrote:  The B1G, years ago, could have pounced and had MO and KS instead of Rutgers and MD... would have worked out better for all schools had they done that...

Speak for yourself Bro. I'm willing to bet that all Rutgers and Maryland fans would disagree with being better off by being left out.

I remember Mizzu campaining hard to get a BIG invite. The BIG must have seen something it didn't like, because they passed and went east instead.

As for the OP: If the Big had fired the first shot, taking KU and Mizzu would have been a solid move to get to 16. With the SEC seemingly pulling the UO/UT raid out of its ass, answering with KU/Mizzu just seems weak. There were only three ways for the BIG to out do the SEC; outbid them for OU/UT, steal aTm/Mizzu, or do both.
08-25-2021 08:06 PM
Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
That ship has sailed.
08-25-2021 08:14 PM
b2b Offline
Heisman

I Root For: My Family + ECU
Makes a LOT of sense imho. Then the SEC could upgrade football even further.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
08-25-2021 08:22 PM
Advertisement

Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
I’d prefer that to happen but Mizzou ain’t leaving the SEC cash cow.
08-25-2021 08:23 PM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(08-25-2021 07:33 PM)utpotts Wrote:  

Does Kansas bring New York City to the Big Ten Network??? It’s the same reason they won’t be added this time around.

It seems like Kansas and Kansas State would lock down Manhattan.
08-25-2021 08:41 PM
PeteTheChop Offline
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
Think it'll happen, too, and in tandem with Kansas liked the OP spelled out.

A vast majority of folks who follow college athletics would probably agree Mizzou is a much better fit in the B1G -- culturally and otherwise — than in the SEC.

If the B1G's media rights $$$ remain comparable with what MU will soon be collecting from the SEC, than the only real obstacle might be soothing any lingering hard feelings from the B1G passing on the Tigers back in 2011.

Say this, too: if it were to happen, the SEC and B1G both could get to 20 teams before too long -- the ACC's cryptic and supposedly iron-clad GOR notwithstanding.

One domino falls to either the B1G or SEC at this point and I believe we're in for major realignment.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2021 09:06 PM by PeteTheChop.)
08-25-2021 08:42 PM
sketownguy Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WMU
The B1G tv deal pays out more money than the current SEC agreement so it would be a step up for Mizzou.
08-25-2021 08:51 PM
b2b Offline
Heisman

I Root For: My Family + ECU
KU and MU would bring more eyeballs to the BTN in Kansas City and St Louis.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
08-25-2021 09:02 PM
Advertisement

DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(08-25-2021 05:11 PM)swardy76 Wrote:  I don't think anyone has brought this up recently so I will.

Missouri seems like the best partner to go to the B1G with Kansas. I just can't see why the B1G would double up on Iowa with ISU.

Would Missouri be able to leave the SEC? Would Missouri fans care if they were in the B1G playing teams like Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, and Illinois? It certainly feels like a better fit (as many have pointed out before).

And what about the SEC? Would they care if Missouri was gone? It would open up the door for Texas Tech, OSU, or WVU. I think all have better programs than Missouri and all seem to fit better.

I guess it is a TV market but Missouri just seems like such an outlier.

On the other hand, I could see the SEC doing this just to get the ball rolling on B12 dissolution. If the B1G takes Kansas and Missouri and the SEC takes OSU, that gets us to six and puts pressure on the ACC and PAC to pick over the rest.

wrong!!! Check out the P5 board or, click the link:

https://www.csnbbs.com/thread-927390.html
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2021 10:05 PM by DawgNBama.)
08-25-2021 10:03 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(08-25-2021 05:27 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  I don’t think the SEC would mind at all - good shot at upgrading. But there’s not much incentive for Mizzou to burn a bridge with the SEC - academics, IL exporting more students than the whole SEC footprint, and no exit fee notwithstanding.

IMO, Missouri leaving would not burn a bridge with the SEC. I think the SEC would wish them well.

They've basically brought nothing of value to the SEC, so the B1G would be doing it a favor.
08-25-2021 10:07 PM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
(08-25-2021 08:41 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(08-25-2021 07:33 PM)utpotts Wrote:  

It seems like Kansas and Kansas State would lock down Manhattan.

The little apple is an important market too.
08-25-2021 10:15 PM
thrill_house Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Anti-CFP
They should have added Missouri instead of Nebraska but we had idiot boomers in charge of our conference who thought for some strange reason that Nebraska was a Top-10 football program.

It's okay, they redeemed themselves with the additions of Rutgers and Maryland a few years later.
08-25-2021 10:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.