Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

TV deal numbers for major D1 conferences
Bookmark and Share
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
TV deal numbers for major D1 conferences

MAC was higher paid in 2019 than AAC/MWC.

G5 flagship...04-rock
08-21-2021 12:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
RE: TV deal numbers for major D1 conferences
(08-21-2021 12:57 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  

MAC was higher paid in 2019 than AAC/MWC.

G5 flagship...04-rock

And C-USA, Sun Belt aren't on the books at all. .... Not bad for an almost strictly regional product.
08-21-2021 04:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Per that graphic, cumulative MWC 42 mill (FOX 21, CBS 21), MAC 24-ESPN, plus the MWC has an online package too. I believe. and why is the Big East on that list? didn't they stop playing football 10 years ago?
08-21-2021 05:03 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-21-2021 05:03 PM)pono Wrote:  Per that graphic, cumulative MWC 42 mill (FOX 21, CBS 21), MAC 24-ESPN, plus the MWC has an online package too. I believe. and why is the Big East on that list? didn't they stop playing football 10 years ago?

Its a listing of conferences with significant TV deals. Big East has a significant TV deal with Fox but its for basketball only.

If the AAC and MWC can expand their TV $$$ the MAC could do the same. The AAC upped their money with a 12 year agreement with ESPN. MAC I believe has a GOR with ESPN which inflates its numbers.

This doesn't include CFP money from ESPN. That in my opinion is another TV revenue stream. Once that money is included the MAC is even in TV dollars with the Big East, however the BE has more NCAA tournament revenue.
08-22-2021 09:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

epasnoopy Online
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Why are SBC and CUSA missing from this graphic? Do they not get paid for TV appearances?
08-22-2021 10:53 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(08-22-2021 10:53 AM)epasnoopy Wrote:  Why are SBC and CUSA missing from this graphic? Do they not get paid for TV appearances?

Who has their rights?
08-22-2021 12:38 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
Quote:IRVING, Texas – Conference USA Commissioner Judy MacLeod announced today new innovative multimedia rights partnerships. A multi-year agreement makes CBS Sports the primary rightsholder for C-USA football and men’s basketball, televising the conference’s best games, including the championship game in each sport on CBS Sports Network.
Beginning with the 2018-19 season, CBS Sports Network will broadcast nine football games plus the C-USA Football Championship and eight men’s basketball games per year, as well as the C-USA men’s basketball championships semifinals and men’s and women’s basketball championship games.
Building on last year’s successes, Stadium will broadcast 15 football games and 17 men’s basketball games for the 2018-19 season. The deal includes the men’s quarterfinal rounds in the league’s annual basketball championship. The multi-platform sports network will broadcast seven of the 15 football games and 10 of the 21 men’s basketball games exclusively on Facebook. It will also continue to produce C-USA events for all of its digital and broadcast distribution partners including WatchStadium.com, the Stadium apps, and over-the-air broadcast and cable retransmission, in select markets. A full list of ways to watch Stadium can be found here: https://watchstadium.com/where-to-watch/.

https://conferenceusa.com/news/2018/3/14..._2018.aspx
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2021 01:06 PM by Steve1981.)
08-22-2021 12:59 PM
Advertisement

Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(08-22-2021 10:53 AM)epasnoopy Wrote:  Why are SBC and CUSA missing from this graphic? Do they not get paid for TV appearances?

It looks like the graphic includes three networks. If the Sun Belt and Conference USA aren't on those networks, perhaps that's why they aren't listed. I think the MAC's TV deal brings in more revenue, but I assume these other conferences have some revenue that isn't listed there.
08-23-2021 12:48 PM
NIU2007 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: NIU
The numbers for the MAC seem high. The 2019 MAC tax return shows TV revenue of $9.1 million. We make more from the college football playoff.

https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofi...1517952484
08-23-2021 06:09 PM
epasnoopy Online
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(08-23-2021 06:09 PM)NIU2007 Wrote:  The numbers for the MAC seem high. The 2019 MAC tax return shows TV revenue of $9.1 million. We make more from the college football playoff.

Buried deep in the fine print of the MAC-ESPN TV contract I'm sure there's language that says the MAC has to pay for television production costs and game announcers/analysts from the money provided by ESPN. Otherwise, according to the graphic above the MAC should have been paid $22 million for 2019 season.
08-24-2021 04:20 PM
Advertisement

Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-24-2021 04:20 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  
(08-23-2021 06:09 PM)NIU2007 Wrote:  The numbers for the MAC seem high. The 2019 MAC tax return shows TV revenue of $9.1 million. We make more from the college football playoff.

Buried deep in the fine print of the MAC-ESPN TV contract I'm sure there's language that says the MAC has to pay for television production costs and game announcers/analysts from the money provided by ESPN. Otherwise, according to the graphic above the MAC should have been paid $22 million for 2019 season.

Those production costs are also scaled by level of appearance.

AAC has to pay even higher production costs on its new TV deal with all the ABC telecasts.
08-24-2021 11:09 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.

A revenue round up that doesn't include all of the networks that hold FBS first tier and second tier contract rights for one or more FBS conferences would likely also be a bit slip shod in other ways as well ... especially if the P5 revenues were roughly correct and they didn't much care about getting the Go5 revenues approximately correct. They seem like they are just taking the numbers from their sources without doing any cross checking.

For example, I wouldn't be surprised if differences in accounting have CFP revenue as additional revenues from ESPN in some conferences and accounted without reference to the CFP telecast partner source in other conferences, and the second source got tripped up by that because it only affected GO5 comparisons.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2021 12:02 AM by BruceMcF.)
08-24-2021 11:55 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

This is for major D1 conferences only.

No "little guys" permitted.
08-26-2021 09:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.