Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Does the B1G plan to poach the SEC??
DawgNBama Online
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
Does the B1G plan to poach the SEC??
The SEC does make more money or will make more money than any other conference, but unlike the ACC, the SEC has no GOR, so the SEC could be poached legally. That would not benefit most conferences, but it could benefit one, the B1G. If A&M is truly not happy with being conference partners with Texas again, it could make inquiries to the B1G. Might even feel like some sweet revenge to the Aggies. However, a word of warning to Texas A & M: the SEC has never invited back a former member. Then again, A&M is a little more strategic to E$PN's strategy, so an exception might be made, or would it???? Besides TAMU, there are other members to look at as well. What wouldn't be better revenge for FOX if the B1G could land the Gators?? Not saying that UF would accept, but the B1G would be foolish to not inquire, IMHO.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fallou...0525183907
Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2021 01:29 AM by DawgNBama.)
08-21-2021 12:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
RE: Does the B1G plan to poach the SEC??
I feel like the Gulf Coast region of Texas and East Texas "behind the Pine Curtain" are culturally more strongly extensions of the Southeast than Austin is, and the Big Ten is not really going to raid the SEC for such a a good fit into the SEC as Texas A&M.

The Big Ten is reluctant to add any school on an island ... in the previous Big 10 move, contiguity with the Big Ten was a formal restriction placed on the commissioner by the Big Ten presidents.

Also, when the Big Ten went to 11, it did so on the same basic scheduling system as it was doing under 10, a conference round robin with skips ... it didn't move to 12 and divisions and a CCG until the SEC pioneered the structure. Similarly, I don't see the Big Ten moving past 16 and a new conference scheduling and championship system until that is already sorted out and ready to go.

So to raid Texas A&M, they would need a number 16. It would have to be AAU, and preferably be a 16 that is both a worthwhile add and brings Texas into contiguity with the Big Ten. Strictly speaking, that is impossible ... if they bend and allow a state gap (or simply squint and view Oklahoma as Far North Texas), and listen to their basketball schools in part about which adds are worthwhile, it can be done with Kansas.

But ... is Texas A&M and Kansas big enough value adds to increase the revenue per school of the Big Ten? Maybe they are, but unlike Texas and Kansas, I am not confident that they are.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2021 01:02 AM by BruceMcF.)
08-21-2021 01:00 AM
DawgNBama Online

(08-21-2021 01:00 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  I feel like the Gulf Coast region of Texas and East Texas "behind the Pine Curtain" are culturally more strongly extensions of the Southeast than Austin is, and the Big Ten is not really going to raid the SEC for such a a good fit into the SEC as Texas A&M.

The Big Ten is reluctant to add any school on an island ... in the previous Big 10 move, contiguity with the Big Ten was a formal restriction placed on the commissioner by the Big Ten presidents.

Also, when the Big Ten went to 11, it did so on the same basic scheduling system as it was doing under 10, a conference round robin with skips ... it didn't move to 12 and divisions and a CCG until the SEC pioneered the structure. Similarly, I don't see the Big Ten moving past 16 and a new conference scheduling and championship system until that is already sorted out and ready to go.

So to raid Texas A&M, they would need a number 16. It would have to be AAU, and preferably be a 16 that is both a worthwhile add and brings Texas into contiguity with the Big Ten. Strictly speaking, that is impossible ... if they bend and allow a state gap (or simply squint and view Oklahoma as Far North Texas), and listen to their basketball schools in part about which adds are worthwhile, it can be done with Kansas.

But ... is Texas A&M and Kansas big enough value adds to increase the revenue per school of the Big Ten? Maybe they are, but unlike Texas and Kansas, I am not confident that they are.
The reason I said Texas A &M was because they didn't seem too happy about E$PN's move. But Texas could possibly be in play as well. I do recall TCU actually joining the Big East for a few months and then accepting a Big 12 invitation, so who knows if that could happen again or not?? Not sure on legal penalties on Texas reneging on their SEC invite.

08-21-2021 01:32 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(08-21-2021 12:15 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  The SEC does make more money or will make more money than any other conference, but unlike the ACC, the SEC has no GOR, so the SEC could be poached legally. That would not benefit most conferences, but it could benefit one, the B1G. If A&M is truly not happy with being conference partners with Texas again, it could make inquiries to the B1G. Might even feel like some sweet revenge to the Aggies. However, a word of warning to Texas A & M: the SEC has never invited back a former member. Then again, A&M is a little more strategic to E$PN's strategy, so an exception might be made, or would it???? Besides TAMU, there are other members to look at as well. What wouldn't be better revenge for FOX if the B1G could land the Gators?? Not saying that UF would accept, but the B1G would be foolish to not inquire, IMHO.

No, and no. If Florida had wanted to leave they would have done it in the 70's instead they doubled down. Where did you get this notion? The link didn't work.

A&M's administration was on board for the record and fans don't make decisions of executive nature.

And one other thing while the SEC has no exit fee and has never needed one, ESPN did insist on a GOR to cover their broadcast investment. So nobody is just waltzing out. Though I do not hold such a GOR to any different standard than others. It like all of them however would be an entanglement at the least.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2021 03:29 AM by JRsec.)
08-21-2021 03:24 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-21-2021 01:32 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  ... But Texas could possibly be in play as well. ...

But TCU would have always taken an invite in the Big12 ... it's just that after being raided, the Big12 suddenly wanted them.

So is the premise that the Big Ten academic snob clique turned down Oklahoma even is necessary to get Texas, and now they regret that?

Nah ... it's not like Texas is above them on the academic status ladder, up in the Ivy League space, like Stanford or Cal. If they turned down Oklahoma and so lost Texas, they are not going to change their minds on that.

And if they quietly allowed Oklahoma if Texas said yes, and Texas said no, then Texas is not going to change their minds on the move, either.
08-21-2021 10:06 AM
DawgNBama Online

(08-21-2021 03:24 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(08-21-2021 12:15 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  The SEC does make more money or will make more money than any other conference, but unlike the ACC, the SEC has no GOR, so the SEC could be poached legally. That would not benefit most conferences, but it could benefit one, the B1G. If A&M is truly not happy with being conference partners with Texas again, it could make inquiries to the B1G. Might even feel like some sweet revenge to the Aggies. However, a word of warning to Texas A & M: the SEC has never invited back a former member. Then again, A&M is a little more strategic to E$PN's strategy, so an exception might be made, or would it???? Besides TAMU, there are other members to look at as well. What wouldn't be better revenge for FOX if the B1G could land the Gators?? Not saying that UF would accept, but the B1G would be foolish to not inquire, IMHO.

No, and no. If Florida had wanted to leave they would have done it in the 70's instead they doubled down. Where did you get this notion? The link didn't work.

A&M's administration was on board for the record and fans don't make decisions of executive nature.

And one other thing while the SEC has no exit fee and has never needed one, ESPN did insist on a GOR to cover their broadcast investment. So nobody is just waltzing out. Though I do not hold such a GOR to any different standard than others. It like all of them however would be an entanglement at the least.
Actually, and here's the kicker JR, you did, although you didn't use those exact teams. If I recall, the team you mentioned as going from the SEC to the B1G was Mizzou. I figured if Mizzou was in play, anyone truthfully was in play.

I never heard of an SEC GOR before. So, Disney anticipate J.R. Ewing (Dallas) style backstabbing. Hmmm.

And while it is true that fans don't make conference level decisions, the alumni, through a roundabout way in that they assist the state governor with selecting the administration do. Notre Dame has had a president and/or an AD in the past that dared to enrage the alumni association, by trying to gradually get ND into the B1G and they (he) paid for it!!! Auburn had football coaches in the past that were supported by the president of Auburn himself, but were forced out by the alumni association. Texas A &M's former president stated that he was actually on board with joining the PAC 12 with Texas, but was told by the alumni association in no uncertain terms his tenure would be over if he went through with that.

The lone exception to this is Maryland, where the administration was actually able to sneak something by the alumni association and get away with it!!!

If the TAMU alumni association still likes the SEC, then I will agree with you JR. However, for all of the commotion coming out of TAMU when E$PN snuck Texas and OU in the SEC, I would say that the move at least rubbed some folks' fur the wrong way among the alumni.

(This post was last modified: 08-22-2021 01:01 AM by DawgNBama.)
08-22-2021 12:31 AM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-22-2021 12:31 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  

Actually, and here's the kicker JR, you did, although you didn't use those exact teams. If I recall, the team you mentioned as going from the SEC to the B1G was Mizzou. I figured if Mizzou was in play, anyone truthfully was in play.

I never heard of an SEC GOR before. So, Disney anticipate J.R. Ewing (Dallas) style backstabbing. Hmmm.

Well the speculation was on how to divide up the Big 12 and Mizzou was a speculation with Kansas in that regard only. I believe prefaced as likely not to happen, but it was the middle of Summer and no news had happened yet which is when all of the speculation gets play so people have something to speculate over in the absence of sports.

I've not heard any serious speculation about Missouri which seems to be quite happy with some familiar faces coming on board and more money. I'm sure they would like for us to have a slot for Kansas. Disney, and most networks now require a GOR. As a conference we don't. With rights holders we do. And we still have no exit fee.

The alliance business likely means no cooperation moving forward and many things could turn in new directions and by next Summer we'll know more. I expect Texas and Oklahoma to be clearing their path after this upcoming season. After that if the other P conferences work with us things might settle in. If they try to work around us we very well could chart our own course and add more brands.

There is an undercurrent to the alliance which will become more apparent and it will use academics to make a push to keep the amateur model in some fashion and may well run afoul of the courts, and if stipend caps are removed I see a split coming.

It's the first of a three part Chinese curse:
(1) May you live in interesting times.
(2) May those in authority take notice of you.
(3) May every desire of your heart come true.

Each part is lethal in its own way.
08-22-2021 01:05 AM
DawgNBama Online

(08-22-2021 01:05 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

Well the speculation was on how to divide up the Big 12 and Mizzou was a speculation with Kansas in that regard only. I believe prefaced as likely not to happen, but it was the middle of Summer and no news had happened yet which is when all of the speculation gets play so people have something to speculate over in the absence of sports.

I've not heard any serious speculation about Missouri which seems to be quite happy with some familiar faces coming on board and more money. I'm sure they would like for us to have a slot for Kansas. Disney, and most networks now require a GOR. As a conference we don't. With rights holders we do. And we still have no exit fee.

The alliance business likely means no cooperation moving forward and many things could turn in new directions and by next Summer we'll know more. I expect Texas and Oklahoma to be clearing their path after this upcoming season. After that if the other P conferences work with us things might settle in. If they try to work around us we very well could chart our own course and add more brands.

There is an undercurrent to the alliance which will become more apparent and it will use academics to make a push to keep the amateur model in some fashion and may well run afoul of the courts, and if stipend caps are removed I see a split coming.

I could see that. But I would say that stipend caps are something that needs to negotiated across the NCAA, including D2 & D3. All athletes will eventually want some sort of stipend, IMO, and college presidents will definitely want to limit it. I view it as something similar to the scholarship limit in football. The bigger the school, the bigger the stipend. If there is negotiation with the stipend caps, probably no split. No negotiation=splitsville, here we come.

(This post was last modified: 08-22-2021 01:53 AM by DawgNBama.)
08-22-2021 01:50 AM
Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa

A few SEC school(s) could eventually seek to join the B1G. For example, UF and Vandy administrators may have a different vision for student-athletes than what the broader SEC model is creating. If Gators football loses fan passion due to repeated 3rd to 6th place finishes in the SEC East, then other conferences may become appealing. The B1G provides comparable media payouts in a more palatable competitive environment.

The B1G and UF would probably think holistically and try to get ACC schools to go along. UF, Vandy, UVa, UNC, Duke and GT creates a compatible and strong southern wing. ND and Miami also fit the mold. At this point, the SEC grabs FSU, Clemson, NC State and VT…expanding geographic diversity, while improving football.

This all works in theory, but it’s a complex set of events.
08-22-2021 01:31 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-22-2021 01:50 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  
(08-22-2021 01:05 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

I could see that. But I would say that stipend caps are something that needs to negotiated across the NCAA, including D2 & D3. All athletes will eventually want some sort of stipend, IMO, and college presidents will definitely want to limit it. I view it as something similar to the scholarship limit in football. The bigger the school, the bigger the stipend. If there is negotiation with the stipend caps, probably no split. No negotiation=splitsville, here we come.

At that point negotiations will become conspiracy if caps are set because the courts will see it as a restraint of trade which was the essence of the NIL ruling and one in which I can't see the courts contradicting themselves.

Herein lies the division.
08-22-2021 01:36 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina

Florida was in serious talks with the ACC in the 70s. Had Florida joined the ACC there was a very good chance that Georgia would have followed.
It should have happened....it didn't.
08-22-2021 04:38 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-22-2021 04:38 PM)XLance Wrote:  

Florida was in serious talks with the ACC in the 70s. Had Florida joined the ACC there was a very good chance that Georgia would have followed.

Unlike Florida State, they chose......wisely!
08-22-2021 04:59 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-22-2021 04:59 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(08-22-2021 04:38 PM)XLance Wrote:  

Actually JR, both schools are probably in the wrong league. Florida should be in the ACC and the 'noles in the SEC.
08-22-2021 07:37 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
(08-22-2021 04:59 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(08-22-2021 04:38 PM)XLance Wrote:  Florida was in serious talks with the ACC in the 70s. Had Florida joined the ACC there was a very good chance that Georgia would have followed.

I knew Florida had considered membership in the ACC, but I did not know they looked at it as late as the 1970's. I realize their football program was mediocre at the time, and they would have been more competitive there. But their decision to stay in the SEC proved to be correct in the long run.

Florida and Georgia to the ACC would have been a game changer for both the ACC and the SEC. The SEC would have expanded westward sooner in response.

FSU made a good short-term decision by joining the ACC. They won big in their first several years, and would not have dominated the SEC at that level during that time period. Long-term, not so much. They are now a football school staring at $30M per year less in income than their neighbors in the SEC, while they are bound by a GOR (which they voted against) until 2035.
08-22-2021 07:38 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-22-2021 12:31 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  If the TAMU alumni association still likes the SEC, then I will agree with you JR. However, for all of the commotion coming out of TAMU when E$PN snuck Texas and OU in the SEC, I would say that the move at least rubbed some folks' fur the wrong way among the alumni.

However, "we should keep Texas out of the SEC" and "We should leave the SEC in response to Texas joining" are two very different kettles of fish ... one can easily imagine a lot of the people strongly in support of the first peeling away from support of the second.
08-22-2021 10:47 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-22-2021 10:47 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(08-22-2021 12:31 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  If the TAMU alumni association still likes the SEC, then I will agree with you JR. However, for all of the commotion coming out of TAMU when E$PN snuck Texas and OU in the SEC, I would say that the move at least rubbed some folks' fur the wrong way among the alumni.

However, "we should keep Texas out of the SEC" and "We should leave the SEC in response to Texas joining" are two very different kettles of fish ... one can easily imagine a lot of the people strongly in support of the first peeling away from support of the second.

Red Herring. A&M's president was in the loop, just sworn to secrecy. When the Houston Chronicle released the story it was during SEC media days and during A&M's time at the podium. The AD and Fisher found out and responded before the president was authorized to speak to her people. Boosters were called by the AD and negative press out before she could meet with her staff. After her return and she explained why this had her support things deescalated in 48 hours. A&M officially expressed support and the vote to accept was 14-0. End of story.
08-22-2021 11:22 PM
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-22-2021 11:22 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Red Herring. A&M's president was in the loop, just sworn to secrecy. When the Houston Chronicle released the story it was during SEC media days and during A&M's time at the podium. The AD and Fisher found out and responded before the president was authorized to speak to her people. Boosters were called by the AD and negative press out before she could meet with her staff. After her return and she explained why this had her support things deescalated in 48 hours. A&M officially expressed support and the vote to accept was 14-0. End of story.

None of which contradicts or disputes my point, that the same boosters who could be riled up about Texas joining the SEC should not be counted on as supporters for Texas A&M leaving the SEC.

Indeed, to the extent that some will have been placated and are no longer riled up about it, it strengthens my point.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2021 12:41 AM by BruceMcF.)
08-23-2021 12:40 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-23-2021 12:40 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(08-22-2021 11:22 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

None of which contradicts or disputes my point, that the same boosters who could be riled up about Texas joining the SEC should not be counted on as supporters for Texas A&M leaving the SEC.

Indeed, to the extent that some will have been placated and are no longer riled up about it, it strengthens my point.

Why would you assume that I was disputing your point? I was merely giving the timeline of events, why A&M was aware and involved but not forthcoming, and the resolution. The red herring was any suspicion that A&M was not on board. Is the board really this tight and defensive? I also agreed with your last post in another thread with your remarks about the neo-plantation effect with regard to athletes.
08-23-2021 12:59 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

There is and have been lots of discussions going on for quite some time with many interested parties.
Terms are often much more important than price, and with fluid situations negotiations usually take place on multiple levels over an extended period of time.
08-23-2021 04:36 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
(08-22-2021 07:38 PM)johnintx Wrote:  FSU made a good short-term decision by joining the ACC. They won big in their first several years, and would not have dominated the SEC at that level during that time period. Long-term, not so much. They are now a football school staring at $30M per year less in income than their neighbors in the SEC, while they are bound by a GOR (which they voted against) until 2035.

They didn’t vote against the GOR. They voted against increasing the exit fees to exorbitant amounts.

They signed the GOR.

My point is if FSU hadn’t signed the GOR The ACC wouldn’t have one.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2021 03:55 PM by CardinalJim.)
08-23-2021 03:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.