RE: Who should the PAC12 invite?
none
08-20-2021 03:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
Quote:Probably all of the ones you would expect and several you’d be surprised by.

UCF and USF

Coast to Coast Conference
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2021 03:11 PM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
08-20-2021 03:10 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
The math says they won’t invite any.

It’s interesting that they’re executing a formal due diligence process and expect to reach final conclusions “in the next couple of weeks” but that doesn’t mean the outcome will be any different than the Big 12’s candidate review a few years ago. The quote that really stands out to me is this one:

“If you ask me about 10 or 20 years from now, it may be different, but it seems like a lot of what drives this [conference realignment and classification activity] are the media-rights deals. In the next three to four years, three of the Power Five conferences are going to renegotiate those deals, but I think the membership of those conferences are going to look a lot like they do today.”
08-20-2021 03:12 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Quote:“We have taken initial meetings with everyone that has expressed an interest. We have a working group … who are together deciding on what to recommend … At the end of the day, they’ll make the decision about whether or not to offer admission to the Pac-12 to any other schools.”
08-20-2021 03:13 PM
Crayton Online
All American

I Root For: Florida
If anybody, 2 of Kansas, OK State, and Houston. You likely don’t need 4 to get your top 2 choices to come.

But I’m not sold that the Pac-12 “needs” anybody.
08-20-2021 03:15 PM
Advertisement

PlayBall! Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kansas & Big XII
PAC-12 considering expansion also being reported by the KC Star:

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/colleg...32073.html
08-20-2021 04:05 PM
1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
The best value for them television wise will be Texoma4 or WVU while recruiting wise will be with the Texoma 4.

KU hoops is a nice add but their tv ratings in football and general lack of support hurts them.

If valuations were right it might make sense to grab the 7 central time zone schools plus Houston. Gets more recruiting boost and limits travel. BYU as an addition would add value there but I really think BYU has more hurdles than other religious schools do with the PAC.

I don't think they add anyone though.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2021 04:13 PM by 1845 Bear.)
08-20-2021 04:10 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
I think if you expand too far east? Fans would not be excited to go to the games. If you look at the trending of people going to games have went down. People in Maryland will not travel to Nebraska. PAC 12 fans did not like Colorado joining one bit.
08-20-2021 04:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(08-20-2021 02:58 PM)GTFletch Wrote:  Pac-12 open to possible expansion, new commissioner says
Link
https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/pac...s-2423684/

Could they take all 8?

No they don't take all 8 but Fox might want some exposure in the middle of the country if they end up with all the rights to the B1G and Pac12/16 in 2025.

So..... assuming no other conference takes anyone (remember Kansas was rumored to the B1G a few weeks ago) I think they take :

Kansas
Oklahoma State
TCU
Houston

You have to think long term for new members and 2 in the heart of the 2 biggest metropolitan areas in Texas is a good bet.
08-20-2021 04:40 PM
AZcats Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte, af, zona
(08-20-2021 04:22 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  I think if you expand too far east? Fans would not be excited to go to the games. If you look at the trending of people going to games have went down. People in Maryland will not travel to Nebraska. PAC 12 fans did not like Colorado joining one bit.

Really? I'm a fan of a PAC12 school and I like having Colorado in the conference.
08-20-2021 04:42 PM
Advertisement

CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
(08-20-2021 04:10 PM)1845 Bear Wrote:  The best value for them television wise will be Texoma4 or WVU while recruiting wise will be with the Texoma 4.

KU hoops is a nice add but their tv ratings in football and general lack of support hurts them.

If valuations were right it might make sense to grab the 7 central time zone schools plus Houston. Gets more recruiting boost and limits travel. BYU as an addition would add value there but I really think BYU has more hurdles than other religious schools do with the PAC.

I don't think they add anyone though.

Sorry, Baylor has no chance at the Pac 12. Zip.

Not saying the others have a great chance. But Baylor will never play in the Pac 12.

In terms of coastal leagues, Baylor works much better in the ACC.
08-20-2021 04:44 PM
OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

I Root For: Canine & Avian
Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, TCU, and New Mexico. They need content eastward in a contiguous structure.

There are no major AAU, premier athletic programs in the region for the taking. Kansas is available, but wouldn't be a good geographic connection.
08-20-2021 05:04 PM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(08-20-2021 05:04 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, TCU, and New Mexico. They need content eastward in a contiguous structure.

There are no major AAU, premier athletic programs in the region for the taking. Kansas is available, but wouldn't be a good geographic connection.

The commissioner said applicants included those you would expect and several you wouldn't. Houston would be in the latter group and would be head and shoulders above New Mexico or other MWC schools. Other unexpected applicants would include Hawaii, SDSU and maybe Boise St too although they won't be considered.

If they expand by 2 I could see TCU and Houston. Huge markets and great recruiting.
08-20-2021 05:14 PM
JHS55 Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
Georgia tech makes sense
08-20-2021 05:21 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(08-20-2021 04:42 PM)AZcats Wrote:  
(08-20-2021 04:22 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  I think if you expand too far east? Fans would not be excited to go to the games. If you look at the trending of people going to games have went down. People in Maryland will not travel to Nebraska. PAC 12 fans did not like Colorado joining one bit.

Really? I'm a fan of a PAC12 school and I like having Colorado in the conference.

Someone who lives in Colorado likes having Colorado in the conference? You don't say. 07-coffee3
08-20-2021 05:23 PM
Advertisement

46566 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Gonzaga
I would think a travel partner would help Colorado and/or Utah. So basically 1 from BYU,Utah State, Colorado State and Air Force. The problem is #14 maybe San Diego State? The Pac 12 moves Utah to the North.
North
Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
California
Stanford
Utah

South
UCLA
USC
San Diego State
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
Colorado State

If Air force is picked then replace Colorado State. If it's Utah State or BYU then move Colorado to the North and the Utah schools stay in the South.
08-20-2021 05:26 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
(08-20-2021 03:10 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  
Quote:Probably all of the ones you would expect and several you’d be surprised by.

UCF and USF

Nebraska?

Ok hear me out. Maybe part of the Alliance discussions is about shifting 1 Big Ten school west to the PAC along with the PAC adding Kansas.

PAC gets 2 schools in Central time zone with decent academics, 1 national FB brand, and 1 national BB brand.

Nebraska football gets a chance for a fresh start after stalling in the Big Ten.

Big Ten can then backfill with Iowa State, an AAU school, which is what they want.

This way the alliance takes care of the remaining AAU schools left in the Big 12. And evens out the alliance conferences a little with 14 schools each and gives the PAC more negotiating power.
08-20-2021 05:35 PM
pki1998 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Xavier, ND, Cin
(08-20-2021 05:35 PM)goofus Wrote:  
(08-20-2021 03:10 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  

UCF and USF

Nebraska?

Ok hear me out. Maybe part of the Alliance discussions is about shifting 1 Big Ten school west to the PAC along with the PAC adding Kansas.

PAC gets 2 schools in Central time zone with decent academics, 1 national FB brand, and 1 national BB brand.

Nebraska football gets a chance for a fresh start after stalling in the Big Ten.

Big Ten can then backfill with Iowa State, an AAU school, which is what they want.

This way the alliance takes care of the remaining AAU schools left in the Big 12. And evens out the alliance conferences a little with 14 schools each and gives the PAC more negotiating power.

The Idea of shedding Nebraska, so the Pac can have them has some merit. Although I don’t think Nebraska is voluntary to take a pay cut. However the Big Ten is not planting a second flag in Iowa. Seriously Buffalo has a better chance of joining the Big10. Keep in mind Buffalo’s chance of joining The Big10 is less than my chance of landing Jennifer Love Hewitt. Now if the Big 10 shed Nebraska and could add UVa UNC and either Duke/GA Tech that would be a great outcome.
08-20-2021 05:52 PM
Cowboy Frog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: TCU
Who should the PAC12 invite?
(08-20-2021 04:40 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  
(08-20-2021 02:58 PM)GTFletch Wrote:  Pac-12 open to possible expansion, new commissioner says
Link
https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/pac...s-2423684/

Could they take all 8?

No they don't take all 8 but Fox might want some exposure in the middle of the country if they end up with all the rights to the B1G and Pac12/16 in 2025.

So..... assuming no other conference takes anyone (remember Kansas was rumored to the B1G a few weeks ago) I think they take :

Kansas
Oklahoma State
TCU
Houston

You have to think long term for new members and 2 in the heart of the 2 biggest metropolitan areas in Texas is a good bet.

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
08-20-2021 06:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.