Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Columbia University or Prairie View A&M - which football history do you want to have?
RobtheAggie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU
Columbia University or Prairie View A&M - which football history do you want to have?
Columbia
396-683-42
4 seasons in a row without a win 1984-1987 - Lost 44 loses out of 47 games without a win (3 ties)
1933 - Rose Bowl Champion 8-1 Record
1961 - Ivy League Champion

Prairie View A&M
402-459-34
1989-1998 - Lost 80 games in a row
1953 - Shared Black College football national Championship
1954 - Shared Black College football national Championship
1958 - Black College football national Champion
1963 - Black College football national Champion
1964 - Black College football national Champion

SWAC Champion

Which history would you choose?
08-17-2021 07:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
RE: Columbia University or Prairie View A&M - which football history do you want to have?
PV, only because I went there.
08-18-2021 01:35 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: Columbia University or Prairie View A&M - which football history do you want t...
I remember seeing this on Youtube a few months back -- Prairie View has a VERY interesting football history. Let me find it.

It's 14:57-18:47 of this video:

08-18-2021 08:53 AM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
RE: Columbia University or Prairie View A&M - which football history do you want to have?
Well, you couldn't have chosen two more disparate programs to choose from: Columbia, an elite Ivy sitting with one block of green space at 116th and Broadway, or Prairie View A&M, with 1440 acres and an endowment worth 1.2% that of Columbia.

Over the last century, Columbia has the better tradition, given its name recognition (most people don't even know where PV is) and memorable games. But for recent years, PV has developed a much more loyal student and alumni base. Columbia is less a college community and more a community of individuals all studying at the same place, and as such sports have little meaning.

The Marching Storm is a point of pride at PV, while the Columbia band dissolved in 2019 over infighting--they have no band at halftime this year. Panther Stadium and Wien Stadium seat about the same number, but one is on campus and the other is a five mile, 40 minute car ride north, a place that many Columbia students never see unless they are taking the northbound Amtrak out of town.

The comparison is prestige versus promise. And this would be a great intersectional game to set up. Seeing the Storm march up Broadway would be an event.
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2021 10:35 AM by DFW HOYA.)
08-18-2021 10:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RobtheAggie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU
That is why I asked the question. Both teams have a section of terrible football history. They are two very different universities, with different purposes. The common thread is a period of terrible football. Is the limited success that Columbia had, with a shorter losing period better than the more longer term success of PV, but a much longer period of futility.
08-18-2021 12:18 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
It’s hard to believe that in a league of just 8 that Columbia has been so inept in football. This is a school whose alumni have brought “Columbia Blue” as a school color to numerous institutions.
08-18-2021 01:05 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

Columbia has posted seven winning seasons since 1947. Seven.
08-18-2021 01:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
I prefer Columbia's stadium, so I say Columbia. Classic location.
08-18-2021 11:07 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: Columbia University or Prairie View A&M - which football history do you want t...
I'm a SWAC fan so will side with Prairie View, just for the sheer adversity overcome.

Not only did PV lose 80 straight games, 19 of which were shutouts, did not win their first game of the 1990s until September of *1998*, they also, because of budget reasons did not field a team in 1990.

So you're talking a program that suffered a kind of internal "death penalty" year, then followed by 7+ seasons with no wins at all, and yet ... here they are, still standing.

I totally bow down to that.

04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2021 08:44 AM by quo vadis.)
08-19-2021 08:42 AM
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
(08-19-2021 08:42 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  I'm a SWAC fan so will side with Prairie View, just for the sheer adversity overcome.

Not only did PV lose 80 straight games, 19 of which were shutouts, did not win their first game of the 1990s until September of *1998*, they also, because of budget reasons did not field a team in 1990.

So you're talking a program that suffered a kind of internal "death penalty" year, then followed by 7+ seasons with no wins at all, and yet ... here they are, still standing.

I totally bow down to that.

04-cheers

Give me Prairie View on this basis, as well. They chose to dig themselves out of this hole, and even won a SWAC championship in 2009.

They have a new stadium they should be proud of, as well.

And, yes, give us a game between Columbia and Prairie View, with the Prairie View band marching at halftime.
08-19-2021 09:28 AM
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Columbia.

I worked for an Engineer who went to Columbia. He was upset when they finally won a game. This is how nerds think. Columbia's futility is their pride. It works for them. Go (lose) Lions!
08-20-2021 02:44 AM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(08-20-2021 02:44 AM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Columbia.

I worked for an Engineer who went to Columbia. He was upset when they finally won a game. This is how nerds think. Columbia's futility is their pride. It works for them. Go (lose) Lions!

Some schools are so adverse to the label of being a sports school that they keep the athletics dept on a shoe string budget to ensure they aren’t successful. If they do somehow find a way to start winning, the academics slash the budget even more. There’s this attitude that the jocks have to be kept in their place.
08-20-2021 09:12 AM
whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn
(08-20-2021 09:12 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  
(08-20-2021 02:44 AM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Columbia.

Some schools are so adverse to the label of being a sports school that they keep the athletics dept on a shoe string budget to ensure they aren’t successful. If they do somehow find a way to start winning, the academics slash the budget even more. There’s this attitude that the jocks have to be kept in their place.

Or as folks call it in SC, the Charleston Southern effect.
08-20-2021 10:10 AM
Advertisement

Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
I'd take Prairie View A&M. Because of their band.

I've never heard their band before, but I'm sure it's awesome like the other HBCUs.

The pageantry around college football is just as important as the game itself. That's what makes it a lot more entertaining to watch the Black Knights vs the Irish than the Packers vs Patriots.
08-20-2021 10:14 AM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

"You can't laugh off school spirit, college presidents not withstanding. And as sure as the Ivies, one-time kingpins of the game, shrivel and decline, something far more important than athletic scholarships will go out the window. I've never seen it to fail. The more abject a "name" school's football team, the more virulent becomes the cynicism and sophistry of its undergraduates."--Grantland Rice, "The Tumult And The Shouting", 1954
08-20-2021 10:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.