Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Word around the campfire is that tOSU wants Kevin Warren gone.
Big Ron Buckeye Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: THE Ohio State
Word around the campfire is that tOSU wants Kevin Warren gone.
https://youtu.be/3T7l1qisItc

As an Ohio State fan I know that we can become a little full of ourselves. But a vote of no confidence from Ohio State leadership barely a year into your tenure is not getting off on the right foot. He'll forever be haunted by the Covid decisions and the folks in Columbus apparently refuse to forgive him. Ouch.
08-16-2021 07:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
RE: Word around the campfire is that tOSU wants Kevin Warren gone.
(08-16-2021 07:03 AM)Big Ron Buckeye Wrote:  https://youtu.be/3T7l1qisItc

As an Ohio State fan I know that we can become a little full of ourselves. But a vote of no confidence from Ohio State leadership barely a year into your tenure is not getting off on the right foot. He'll forever be haunted by the Covid decisions and the folks in Columbus apparently refuse to forgive him. Ouch.

The first statement ncouldnt be more true. I also don't remember much chest puffing from 1980-2001 either, but now it's all downhill. But yes, he appears unfit for the job, which makes sense if you analyze it correctly.
08-16-2021 08:01 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(08-16-2021 08:01 AM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  

The first statement ncouldnt be more true. I also don't remember much chest puffing from 1980-2001 either, but now it's all downhill. But yes, he appears unfit for the job, which makes sense if you analyze it correctly.

No it predated 2001.
08-16-2021 08:08 AM
Big Ron Buckeye Offline
Special Teams

Touche old friend. Btw you're dating yourself.
08-16-2021 08:17 AM
Big Ron Buckeye Offline
Special Teams

(08-16-2021 08:08 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

No it predated 2001.

Cooper's 2-10-1 temporarily humbled us, then our arrogance was restored after his departure, LMAO!!!
08-16-2021 08:19 AM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
Conference seemed to be one leading most of way with Jim Delany. Can't say same now.
08-16-2021 08:37 AM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
I don't know if Kevin Warren will turn out to be a good commissioner or not.

However, it's simply ludicrous that anyone thinks that the Big Ten is going to get rid of him with less than 2 years in the office. The COVID complaints are frankly more of a reflection of where certain fans stood politically and, to put it mildly, the Big Ten university presidents are on a totally different political wavelength compared to those fans. If the Big Ten extracts maximum money from ESPN and/or Fox and/or other TV/streaming partners in the next TV deal, then the university presidents will be happy. If it's underwhelming on that front, then *that* is what will not make the university presidents happy.
08-16-2021 08:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
The B1G selecting Warren over Phillips as Commissioner will go down as one of the biggest blunders in conference history IMO.
08-16-2021 09:10 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(08-16-2021 08:37 AM)ohio1317 Wrote:  Conference seemed to be one leading most of way with Jim Delany. Can't say same now.

Yes, as a B1G outsider, the perception I have is that the B1G has taken a step downwards under Warren compared to Delany. The handling of football and the virus was IMO a fiasco. It also doesn't look good that the SEC, not the B1G, was able to attract Texas as a member.

This past year, it looks like the SEC is now alone in the leadership role of college athletics, the B1G seems diminished by comparison.
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2021 09:15 AM by quo vadis.)
08-16-2021 09:13 AM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Nebraska seconds that motion
08-16-2021 09:59 AM
Fighting Muskie Offline

Truth be told, if they aren’t thrilled with the guy it’s better to get rid of him sooner rather than later before he starts negotiating a tv deal that could be detrimental for years to come.
08-16-2021 10:00 AM
Advertisement

PeteTheChop Offline
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S

As an Ohio State fan I know that we can become a little full of ourselves

E.g., referring to Ohio State as THE Ohio State.
08-16-2021 10:13 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(08-16-2021 10:00 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Truth be told, if they aren’t thrilled with the guy it’s better to get rid of him sooner rather than later before he starts negotiating a tv deal that could be detrimental for years to come.

They're simply not getting rid of him (at least this quickly). Everyone needs to look at the bigger picture and the optics of it that the university presidents take very seriously (and it has nothing to do with football).
08-16-2021 10:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PeteTheChop Offline
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
No doubt Warren was between a rock and a hard place trying to navigate the Covid gap dividing 14 college presidents and the masses of B!G Football fanatics.

Seems unlikely even Delany himself could've threaded that needle by Week 1 of last season.

IMO, hitting the jackpot on TV/media rights money — i.e., being in the same ballpark as the SEC — will come down to how well the conference handles realignment.

Warren badly needs a couple shiny new toys to sell like Sankey pulled off down South.

Can't see that happening without reeling in that big fish 110 miles east of the league office in Chicago.
08-16-2021 10:33 AM
Fighting Muskie Offline

(08-16-2021 10:32 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(08-16-2021 10:00 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Truth be told, if they aren’t thrilled with the guy it’s better to get rid of him sooner rather than later before he starts negotiating a tv deal that could be detrimental for years to come.

They're simply not getting rid of him (at least this quickly). Everyone needs to look at the bigger picture and the optics of it that the university presidents take very seriously (and it has nothing to do with football).

But if the man is a cancer and does more harm the longer he stays in office then it makes more sense to admit they made an incompetent hire and can him. The time to do that is before he signs a 30 year deal to air T1 and T2 games on Discovery+ for $15M/yr, not after.
08-16-2021 10:47 AM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
I think Warren probably over reacted when the Big Ten completely canceled the season instead of simply postponing the start of it.

First, the Big Ten made the decision to cancel way to early, just days after announcing a 10-game schedule that in hindsight would have worked out pretty well. Delaying the start just a little and building extra byes into the season. That 10-game schedule was a good idea and they should have stuck with it.

2nd, instead of canceling, another idea is they could have just postponed the start a few more weeks then they still could had played an 8-game schedule with bye weeks.

Finally, if they would have postponed the start and then later cancelled, it would have been easier to just keep it cancelled completely, with no plans for a spring season. Just completely shut it down for 1 year. Re-evaluate when it was time for spring practice.
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2021 11:00 AM by goofus.)
08-16-2021 10:54 AM
Advertisement

Val Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Oklahoma
(08-16-2021 09:13 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(08-16-2021 08:37 AM)ohio1317 Wrote:  Conference seemed to be one leading most of way with Jim Delany. Can't say same now.

Yes, as a B1G outsider, the perception I have is that the B1G has taken a step downwards under Warren compared to Delany. The handling of football and the virus was IMO a fiasco. It also doesn't look good that the SEC, not the B1G, was able to attract Texas as a member.

This past year, it looks like the SEC is now alone in the leadership role of college athletics, the B1G seems diminished by comparison.

Warren's biggest failure there was letting the snobbier members of the conference dictate its future. However, I'm fairly certain that's why he was hired in the first place.
08-16-2021 11:11 AM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
Agree not going anywhere now. Last year was handled badly (should have had better idea how everyone else was going to respond before going a route might have to reverse), but he will survive that. It was a tough first year and most commissioners are going to be seen as having made some mistakes. I don't think can afford another of that magnitude, but that is unlikely (at least short term).
08-16-2021 11:12 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
All I can think of is people in the higher education business are way too liberal in their politics. If anybody should be fired it’s the President of the university of Michigan and not the big 10 commish, guy should have been fired last year but as al gore said there is no controlling legal authority or common sense for any accountability
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2021 11:33 AM by bluesox.)
08-16-2021 11:27 AM
MattBrownEP Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: newsletter subscriptions
This is not accurate
08-16-2021 11:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.