WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The fall of Afghanistan
ColinApocalypse Offline

I Root For: WMU
The fall of Afghanistan
Some thoughts I shared on social media, figured I would share it here as well.

Well, it's over. The curtain has come down on America's longest conflict.

There will be no fanfare or unfurling of "mission accomplished" banners. It didn't even end with a bang, but rather a whimper. It seems there are few in this country who know or even care about what's happening in Afghanistan, which is unfortunate. But for those that are interested, I'll give you my abridged take on the events that are happening and have happened over the last 20 years.

The Taliban ruled Afghanistan after winning a bloody civil war following the Soviet retreat in the late 80s. A strict version of Islamic Sharia law was instituted which severely restricted civil rights. In particular, rights for women were practically nonexistent. The Taliban are brutal, fundamentalist, religious extremists. In response to the events of 9/11 (events which were actually publicly denounced by the Taliban), the United States and a coalition of allies ordered the Taliban to turn over Osama Bin Laden, who was hiding in the country. The Taliban refused, and coalition forces invaded. The objective was to capture Bin Laden, overthrow the Taliban, and deny Al-Qaeda and other terrorists a territory from which to conduct their operations.

The initial invasion easily overwhelmed the Taliban and forced them to flee into neighboring Pakistan. But the coalition governments had no plan for what came after, and spent the next 2 decades trying to nation-build and stabilize an extremely unstable area. The U.S. alone spent about $978 billion dollars on the conflict, about $90 billion of which was spent training and equipping the new Afghan National Security Forces.

But how do you build a nation from scratch, in one of the poorest, least educated, socially fractured, geographically challenging places on Earth? There's no easy answer. You can't just throw money at the problem, as we've demonstrated. You can't prop up a foreign nation by strength of arms either, as we've also demonstrated. The people need to govern themselves and figure out their own path organically for any real progress to be made.

The Afghans are a disparate people with no national identity nor loyalty to a national government. Nor should they. The country's borders were drawn by the British back in the 1800s, and they did not account for tribal or ethnic group territories. The Durand Line that separates Afghanistan from Pakistan was drawn straight through the Pashtun peoples' land, and has historically not been recognized by most Afghans. Afghans are loyal to their tribes, their ethnic groups, or even to religious leaders. They have no interest in a corrupt national government that does nothing for them. Afghanistan is mostly mountainous and extremely rural. There is little in the way of infrastructure, communications, trade or cultural exchange between tribes which prevents the fostering of any national identity. Between that, the extreme poverty, and weak law enforcement, corruption is rampant.

But you may be wondering how, with over 300,000 U.S.-trained and equipped ANSF personnel, did the country fall so quickly and without much of a fight? That's a complicated question with an even more complicated answer. But I'll try to put it succinctly:

1. The actual number of troops was probably far fewer than that 300,000. "Ghost soldiers" plagued rosters everywhere, with corrupt commanders pocketing the paychecks of these nonexistent soldiers. Some lower ranking officers complained that their units were barely at half strength because of these administrative errors. By contrast, estimates of the Taliban's strength range from 50,000 to 150,000 fighters (not counting allied groups) and an extensive support network behind them.

2. The ANSF was built in our image. A large, modern, multi-faceted fighting force designed to secure the whole country. But Afghanistan is not the U.S. They don't have the economy, infrastructure or logistics to support a force that size. Culturally, it is one of the most uneducated and illiterate populations. How do you train these people to fly and maintain aircraft? The Afghan Air Force struggled to recruit competent personnel, and struggled to keep their aircraft flying. Trained pilots were targeted for assassination by the Taliban. As the U.S. tightened the purse strings, tools and parts were hard to come by. They were still relying on foreign contractors to repair and maintain the fleet.
But why was the Air Force so important, despite it being such a tiny part of the military? Because of the geography and lack of infrastructure. The ANA needed a way to get it's commandos (the troops actually willing and able to fight) to wherever the fight was, and to provide them with air support. Airlift capabilities are as vital in Afghanistan as they were in Vietnam.

3. Money. No war has ever been won without substantial financial backing. The Afghan government has no money, while the Taliban enjoys the support of major foreign benefactors (mostly in Pakistan) and profits from the manufacture and trafficking of opium.

4. Lack of support from neighboring nations. The U.S. has given billions of dollars to Pakistan to help stem the flow of fighters entering Afghanistan from Pakistan, but they took the money and ran. The Taliban primarily operates out of the rural, mountainous, Pashtun lands of northwest Pakistan, and the Pakistani government has done little to interfere with them. The international intelligence community has long suspected Pakistan's government and military of supporting the Taliban's insurgency.

5. The Taliban has been planning their resurgence for years. This isn't some spur of the moment dash for control. They've planted spies in Kabul, paid off military commanders and politicians, conducted assassinations and sabotage, built networks through the rural countryside, and conducted heavy recruiting operations. All they had to do was wait out the U.S. There's a saying that goes "the Americans have the watches, but the Taliban has the time." They knew they were safe in Pakistan and could simply wait us out.

6. Morale and motivation. The Taliban is a focused, fanatical group with clear objectives. The Afghan government and military is a loose collection of different peoples, all with their own agendas. Most of the ANA were poor kids from rural communities. They were just trying to make a buck. They had no interest in fighting and dying for the government. The commandos were at least capable fighters, going toe to toe with the Taliban, but there just weren't enough of them (between 10,000 and 30,000) to make a difference. They were run ragged, being ferried back and forth across the country, trying to stamp out insurgent attacks.

The Taliban strategy was to surround and isolate increasingly large pockets of government forces. They spent years building networks through the rural areas of the country, and earlier this year started attacking small outposts. ANSF forces fought valiently at first, but it was always a losing proposition. There were no resupplies, no reinforcements, very little air support. Knowing that the government was largely incapable of resupplying these outposts (Taliban controlled the roads and the Air Force could only do so much), the Taliban would offer an ultimatum to the defenders who had run out of food and ammunition: surrender and either join us or go home to your family. And of course, the troops surrendered. What were they supposed to do?

As the Taliban captured more and more outposts, they started taking small towns and larger military bases. Each victory earned them looted weapons, vehicles, supplies, as well as new recruits. Their territory spread and they consolidated control over the countryside. But most importantly, they gained momentum and morale. They redoubled their recruitment efforts, citing their victories over the West and the puppet government in Kabul.

The country was already doomed before the summer, before the main Taliban offensive even started. They spent years meticulously placing the dominoes. All they had to do was topple the first one.

They captured their first provincial capital on August 6th. By the 15th, Kabul had fallen.

Thus ends a bloody, futile, heartbreaking, confusing chapter in American history. We did so much to help the people of Afghanistan. We thought that if we could win hearts and minds, the people would stand up for themselves. We built roads, bridges, schools, hospitals, power plants, airports, police stations, army bases and a brand new government from scratch. Women started to experience new rights and oppurtunites. The standard of living and life expectancy rose dramatically. But in the end, this was a country and a people that we did not understand. And we were fighting an enemy we did not understand.

Afghanistan has been called the "graveyard of empires" because of its imposing terrain and warrior culture. They beat the British twice, forced out the Soviets, endured numerous civil wars, and defied the Americans. They have been at war for the past 300 years, and much of their history before that as well. Genghis Khan swept through the area, as did Alexander the Great. Its position on the Silk Road solidified the region's strategic importance.

It was an endeavor we never should have tried. We became stuck between a rock and a hard place. We couldn't abandon the country that we just invaded, but we couldn't pursue the Taliban in Pakistan and elsewhere. We couldn't stay there forever, so when was the right time to leave? There probably wasn't a right time and there never would be. So sure, it's easy to say we never should have been there in the first place, but the U.S. also felt that it had to respond to the attacks of 9/11. Were we supposed to sit on our hands after our country experienced the worst attack on U.S. soil since Pearl Harbor? There are no easy answers.

I hope our nation can learn from this defeat. The latest in a long line of foreign policy failures. And I hope this doesn't become another forgotten war. Too many good men and women were damaged or lost in this stupid conflict. The parallels to the Vietnam War are endless, but I won't get into that here. It just seems like we're not learning from our mistakes.
It's a beautiful, but troubled country. If you've never seen the Hindu Kush mountains and abutting mountain ranges, they are breathtaking. Perhaps some day the people there can get a reprieve from the violence and hardship.

Maybe this is just a rambling monologue of a bitter ex-soldier. Maybe it's just cathartic to put my thoughts out there. Maybe I'm just emotional about the sacrifices that were for naught. I'll always remember the work we put in over there. This isn't intended to spark political arguments, I just wanted to reflect on the end of an era.

This goes out to all my brothers and sisters in arms. The world may forget, but we won't.

OEF X-XI, Paktika Province, Afghanistan

*names redacted for privacy* and all the others we served with. I salute you. Take care, gentlemen.
08-15-2021 09:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
RE: The fall of Afghanistan
Well-done, Colin. Excellent perspectives.

Thank you for your service. I'm sure you speak for many of your brothers and sisters in arms.
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2021 06:11 AM by MajorHoople.)
08-16-2021 06:05 AM
Cocksman Offline
1st String

Well the Taliban which did primarily operate out of rural mountains now operates out of every major city and capital. They did this within days and overthrew a government. The exit strategy by our current government was no exit strategy at all. The White House publicly announcing “hey we are leaving on this date.” Mr current president recently stated “that it was highly unlikely that the Taliban would overrun the country.” This has been a current public foreign policy disaster. And it doesnt help that the American president is on vacation when this happens. The future will dictate if we were right or wrong on If the country breeds or facilitates terrorism in the future.
08-16-2021 11:10 AM
GRBRONCO Offline
1st String

This is not the fall of Afghanistan, just another failed US puppet regime.
08-16-2021 11:29 AM
Advertisement

Warhawks222 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Payday & Friday
Excellent analysis. 04-bow

Very well written. Agree with everything you said. Good job.

I'll add: We couldn't stay in that land forever. And at some point the inhabitants of the country needed to stand up and take care of and govern themselves. If they choose to be ruled by the Taliban, then so be it. The years, sacrifices and money spent by the US in that country was way more than ever should have been spent on a population that appears it does not want it bad enough to make the hard choices and commitments needed to change.
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2021 11:35 AM by Warhawks222.)
08-16-2021 11:35 AM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Remember when GOP was touting Trump's "historic peace agreement" with the Taliban, that his administration negotiated without representation from the Afghan government?

That set the wheels in motion for what has occurred in the last ten days.
08-16-2021 12:01 PM
Cocksman Offline
1st String

(08-16-2021 12:01 PM)MajorHoople Wrote:  Remember when GOP was touting Trump's "historic peace agreement" with the Taliban, that his administration negotiated without representation from the Afghan government?

Always blame the prior Whitehouse pres/administration . That’s American politics
08-16-2021 12:20 PM
Advertisement

BroncoMinor Offline
Heisman

(08-16-2021 12:01 PM)MajorHoople Wrote:  Remember when GOP was touting Trump's "historic peace agreement" with the Taliban, that his administration negotiated without representation from the Afghan government?

George W set the wheels in motion for this 20 year unwinnable war.

Bush, Obama, Trump, Biden, & Congress all share in this failure. Nobody comes off looking good.
08-16-2021 01:38 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
We tried the,same tactics in South Vietnam and failed there too. After 9-11 I supported the position of holding the,Taliban accountable and punishing them. It shouldn't have dragged on for 20 years. Oddly we never punished Saudi Arabia where most of the 9-11 terrorists came from. Now we leave the Taliban better armed and at the doorstep of China India and Pakistan. There were many in Vietnam and Afghanistan who wanted and believed in democracy but not enough of them to fight for it.
08-16-2021 01:41 PM
BroncoMinor Offline
Heisman

I think this Veteran sums up the situation best.

https://laurajedeed.medium.com/afghanist...3f099b00e5
08-16-2021 01:42 PM
Advertisement

BroncoMD Offline
1st String

Crappies
Thank you for your service, Colin.

I just don't understand why we didn't have clear objectives in both Vietnam and Afghanistan. Very frustrating.
08-16-2021 03:37 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
Check out former CIA Analyst/US Army Matt Zeller. comments on MSNBC. Biden ignored Senior Advisors'
calls for a slowdown of US withdrawal. He was too concerned with optics.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2021 07:49 AM by Boca Rocket.)
08-17-2021 07:48 AM
Dirty Ernie Offline
Heisman

I’m feeling cynical. Doubtful there would ever be a good time or way.

As far as the optics, Biden made the decision to leave despite the bad optics that were sure to result. The first president brave enough to make the hard decision. Somebody had to do it.

Sad though. But it’s their country. They got the outcome they wanted apparently.

No more American blood and treasure wasted there hopefully.
08-18-2021 02:58 PM
Advertisement

Cocksman Offline
1st String

Always blame the prior Whitehouse pres/administration . That’s American politics
08-18-2021 06:44 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Bush started it Obama get more mired Trump sowed the seeds of the disaster we are seeing today and Biden is unfairly reaping the rewards of all of them.
Remember Bush Jr signed a treaty for troop withdrawal in Iraq right before he left office Obama honored the treaty and withdrew the troops as Bush Jr agreed to do only to have ISIS fill that vacuum and send troops back in. Don't even get me started on Trump and the Kurds in Syria that he,sold out. Biden made a tough choice and is dealing with the cards he got left by Trump and the,Afghan government and army. In 20 years we didn't win many hearts and minds. Ditto Vietnam. Our service men and women desert e [/align]better than to be placed in unsinkable wars.
08-18-2021 07:11 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
Good analysis, Colin.

Groupthink in the foreign policy establishment due to political reasons is one big reason for the Afghanistan clusterfark.

Quote:Twenty years of ruling class failure

Quote:The mission that the United States—or, to be more precise, the George W. Bush Administration—set for itself in Afghanistan was doomed from the beginning. It declared unrealizable goals, which experience quickly showed were unrealizable, and then instead of learning from that experience, doubled and tripled down over and over. And not just the Bush Administration but the entire bipartisan foreign policy establishment. If the hoary cliché is true that insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, then American policy in Afghanistan over the last 20 years is a textbook example.

Quote:Modern Americans are endlessly told to “celebrate diversity” but are also hectored to treat other peoples as if they are interchangeable, all behave in the same ways and want the same things. This bedrock assumption of Wokemerica is the ultimate shoal on which the Afghan war foundered.

To express any doubt that a fundamentally pre-modern people with entirely different experiences and expectations from a State Department bureaucrat or NGO do-gooder—especially to suggest that democracy might not be an easy sell in the Hindu Kush—was instantly to expose oneself to the charge of “racism” or “Islamophobia.” The few who dared quickly learned not to. The rest did not dare—or else were true believers from the get-go.

What first was deemed unsayable soon became unthinkable. Since it was “racist” to see Afghanistan as it actually is, it soon became obligatory to see it as the exact opposite. Once making policy based on reality becomes “racist,” the only option is to make policy based on unreality. The result? In this case, 20 years, two trillion dollars, 2,500 American deaths, and 20,000 more casualties. All for nothing.

So the Bush Administration did what it did, which didn’t work, and no one was able to admit that it didn’t work because saying the reason aloud was forbidden.

Quote:President Trump came into office promising a withdrawal but repeatedly hesitated—for reasons which ought now to be abundantly clear. To all those who felt betrayed by his hesitation, he wasn’t lying when he said things look different from behind the Resolute Desk. He knew in his bones that a hasty, ill-considered withdrawal might lead to the fiasco we’re witnessing now, and he didn’t want that on his record or conscience. His four years of Afghanistan policymaking may be characterized as groping for a way to get us out without triggering the country’s collapse or its reemergence as a terrorist sanctuary.

That he never found a way is because there wasn’t. Ill-advised negotiations with the Taliban produced little beyond delay. Afghanistan’s former rulers didn’t want a deal; they wanted power. American humiliation was welcome gravy.

Once America invested heavily in a “free Afghanistan,” a thing which American power could never achieve, the choices were: leave, admit failure, betray allies, abandon billions in facilities and equipment, put thousands in danger, and face humiliation; or stay forever and…what? Take potentially unlimited casualties while spending potentially trillions more for…what? Comparisons to Germany and Korea are facile. Northwest Europe and Northeast Asia are two of the richest and most strategically consequential regions in the world. Our host governments there, however fickle, are at least cooperative. More to the point, our troops there are not taking daily casualties, and their lives are not under constant threat.

It’s impossible to know what would have happened in a Trump second term, but had he done what Biden just did, the result would have been the same. In truth, the only way out of Afghanistan was just to get out: order home all civilians, close the embassy, destroy anything that couldn’t be shipped, keep the military there just long and strong enough to protect the evacuation. And then go.

The Biden Administration didn’t do any of that because it, and the whole “national security” establishment, knew that doing so would be to admit failure, to advertise its own bankruptcy. So, just like the foolish wishful thinking that began the disaster two decades ago, they talked themselves into believing that an orderly exit was possible without a plan, that the Taliban meant what they said at the “peace talks,” that those Afghan “security forces” and “civil society” institutions were anything stronger than tissue.

“The Romans,” Machiavelli says, “made their wars short and big.” We Americans have taken to making our wars small and long. We inflict pinprick strikes over decades rather than getting the whole thing over within a matter of days or weeks.

A better strategy, right after 9/11, would have been to do what we did, but finish the job at Tora Bora—and then leave immediately, with a note on the fridge saying “If you do anything like that again, we’ll be back quickly with overwhelming force, and we’ll leave just as quickly. We will do that as many times as you make us.”

https://americanmind.org/salvo/afghanist...the-start/
08-18-2021 07:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.