ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT - Coaches Charged with Murder After Player Dies at Practice
ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

I Root For: ODU

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
OT - Coaches Charged with Murder After Player Dies at Practice

Dr. Barry P. Boden of The Orthopedic Center in Rockville, Md., at the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine annual meeting in 2019, most nontraumatic deaths among high school and college football players occur in conditioning sessions and not during game play.
https://richmond.com/sports/college/vuu-...0a8de.html

At least seven students between the ages of 12 and 18 have died during sanctioned football games and practices at their middle and high schools this season [2019]
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/s...75212.html

While it appears that many if not most of these deaths are attributable to preexisting conditions, if these Atlanta coaches are convicted, it would create a far reaching precedent.
This board has a number of posters involved in sports medicine. It will be interesting to see the responses.
08-11-2021 08:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
RE: OT - Coaches Charged with Murder After Player Dies at Practice
On one hand, I'm glad to see this issue getting more attention and hope it will result in changes. My son plays soccer and we are fortunate his club has an incredible indoor training facility (Williamsburg Indoor Sports Complex). They take the heat extremely seriously and when it is hot like it has been this week, they either practice indoors or if not available, they cut practice short and take it easy (no conditioning drills). We just started this club and I have been extremely impressed with how they have handled the summer heat. I understand most organizations and schools don't have the resources to have these indoor complexes, but no way they should be holding conditioning practices in the heat of the day. Plenty of time in the early morning and late evening for that.

On the other hand... murder? Not sure how that would be proven, given the lack of intent and motive. If they want to make an example of the coaches, they should charge them with involuntary manslaughter, which would be much more likely to result in a conviction. Unless, of course, there is more to this story.
08-12-2021 07:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.