New Rice pitcher in the Majors
08-08-2021 07:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gmath Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Owls and Horns
RE: New Rice pitcher in the Majors
(08-08-2021 07:23 PM)ebarnum Wrote:  Brock Holt in relief.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icfyvDemV04

Truly the perfect Eephus pitch, as reported by Alan Shelby.
08-09-2021 08:03 PM
jellowl Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Rice
More details in the jomboy breakdown.

Slowest called strike in MLB history.
08-10-2021 01:07 PM
Advertisement

bigowlsfan Offline
2nd String

That falls somewhere between cute and embarrassing.

Brock Holt has, however, carved out a nice MLB career as a super-utility player, which seems more and more in demand as we move to 13 person pitching staffs at the MLB level. I hope Brock is not remembered for this silliness.
08-10-2021 04:11 PM
Houston Owl 2 Offline
2nd String

I hope he's remembered as the only player to hit for the cycle in a post-season game (2018 series against the Yankees).
08-10-2021 04:34 PM
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(08-10-2021 04:11 PM)bigowlsfan Wrote:  That falls somewhere between cute and embarrassing.

Brock Holt has, however, carved out a nice MLB career as a super-utility player, which seems more and more in demand as we move to 13 person pitching staffs at the MLB level. I hope Brock is not remembered for this silliness.

The one who should be embarrassed is the player who took the pitch for a called strike.
08-10-2021 04:50 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(08-10-2021 04:11 PM)bigowlsfan Wrote:  That falls somewhere between cute and embarrassing.

What is embarrassing about it?
The fact that a non-pitcher was able to help his team by getting on the mound and throwing strikes (even if unconventional ones) is to his credit, not his shame.
08-10-2021 05:28 PM
Advertisement

NYNightOwl Offline
NYOwl

I Root For: Rice Owls

He retired 3 opposing players and pitched so his team's bullpen didn't have to. I thought it was great - as was his attitude. While the 30mph arc pitch might be amusing to watch, it's clearly a lot more difficult for an MLB player to hit than the 82 mph 'fastball' Brock threw that was hit to the RF wall or the prior 77 mph fastball that was roped to left center.
08-11-2021 02:06 PM
Seventyniner Offline
1st String

Reminds me of IM slow pitch softball in my on-campus days. The pitch had to be underhanded and the apex had to be between 6 and 12 feet; too low or too high was an automatic ball.

I take it there is no such limitation in baseball? I can see why hitters are not used to a ball that drops in from the moon.
08-12-2021 08:41 AM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
(08-12-2021 08:41 AM)Seventyniner Wrote:  Reminds me of IM slow pitch softball in my on-campus days. The pitch had to be underhanded and the apex had to be between 6 and 12 feet; too low or too high was an automatic ball.

Brings back memories of the Falstaff-sponsored league with Johnny Coles & Greg Williams (who never hit a single ... stretching even routine hits into at least doubles).

It also reminds me of then I pitched in a grade-school CYO (Catholic Youth Organization) league. I wasn't a good pitcher at all. But the best hitter in the league once came up to me after a game and gave me the ultimate compliment: I was the toughest pitcher he'd faced ... because my pitches were so slow that he found it very difficult to time his swing. :-)
08-12-2021 10:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.