Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SEC rumors: Did Clemson & Florida State inquire about joining conference?
Alanda Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
SEC rumors: Did Clemson & Florida State inquire about joining conference?
08-02-2021 05:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
RE: SEC rumors: Did Clemson & Florida State inquire about joining conference?
I take that to mean ESPN does not want one of their properties gutted like the B12 was
08-02-2021 05:30 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
Apparently not.

08-02-2021 05:33 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Odd to think Florida State didn't bring they eyeballs of Florida.

When it was Florida State which had a monster run and Florida had a few good seasons here and there.

There was a time when Florida-Florida St-Miami Fl were all huge national games.
08-02-2021 05:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DawgNBama Online
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
TerryD, could you please refresh posters' memories as to what E$PN means to ND, as in ND actually signing a contract with E$PN????
08-02-2021 06:13 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(08-02-2021 05:42 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  Odd to think Florida State didn't bring they eyeballs of Florida.

When it was Florida State which had a monster run and Florida had a few good seasons here and there.

There was a time when Florida-Florida St-Miami Fl were all huge national games.

I take it to mean that the number of Florida eyeballs that it would bring (that are not already watching the SEC because of Florida) is less than the breakeven cost of adding another member.

Same with Clemson.

Texas and Oklahoma are a much different case.
08-02-2021 06:35 PM
Advertisement

The Grassy Nole Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: FSU & Ohio U
(08-02-2021 05:30 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  I take that to mean ESPN does not want one of their properties gutted like the B12 was

Thought also crossed my mind, also wonder if they will wish to push Clemson and FSU out to the SEC to significantly cut the pay to the ACC. Who knows what will happen; however I doubt the SEC will pass over FSU and Clemson just to have the B1G sweep right in and snatch them.
08-02-2021 06:58 PM
ColKurtz Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Virginia Tech
Quote:"Notre Dame is the only "free agent" left that would "add to the pot."

Not so sure an all-in ND would be the boon many think. ACC already had 5 games with them. This would add 3 more, 4 if they go to a 9-game conference play. ACC would get the ND home contract, valued around $15M, they would get official merchandise royalties, and some amount of intangibles like better matchups and just finally locking ND down.

Let's say ESPN would pay $50M/year for the home TV rights, merch, and 3-4 more conference games. That's an extra $3.3M per team. Not chump change but really nothing to close the gap with B1G/SEC. ACC is still under the $40M mark.
08-02-2021 07:05 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(08-02-2021 06:58 PM)The Grassy Nole Wrote:  
(08-02-2021 05:30 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  I take that to mean ESPN does not want one of their properties gutted like the B12 was

Thought also crossed my mind, also wonder if they will wish to push Clemson and FSU out to the SEC to significantly cut the pay to the ACC. Who knows what will happen; however I doubt the SEC will pass over FSU and Clemson just to have the B1G sweep right in and snatch them.

It's clickbait and wholly BS. SEC protocol for inquiries would never permit the claims made in this tweet.
08-02-2021 07:06 PM
3BNole Online
2nd String

I Root For: Florida State

That’s my thinking, which is also why (from an FSU fan perspective), I’m not too concerned about this episode of realignment. By creating such a disparity between the SEC and the ACC, ESPN has inadvertently created a little upcoming problem for themselves: at some point, whether now or ten years from now, they’re going to have to either move programs from the ACC to the SEC or significantly increase the ACC payout, or else they’re going to lose their monopoly on southern football when FOX and the Big Ten swoop in. The question that remains to be seen is basically whether they want the ACC around or not, and that will determine which route they take.
08-02-2021 07:11 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
The Marc Ryan guy has just over 5800 followers. Probably had many of them follow him after he posted that tripe.
Barrett Sallee, the guy that said he’s full of excrement, has over 95K followers. Enough said…
08-02-2021 07:57 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-02-2021 07:11 PM)3BNole Wrote:  

That’s my thinking, which is also why (from an FSU fan perspective), I’m not too concerned about this episode of realignment. By creating such a disparity between the SEC and the ACC, ESPN has inadvertently created a little upcoming problem for themselves: at some point, whether now or ten years from now, they’re going to have to either move programs from the ACC to the SEC or significantly increase the ACC payout, or else they’re going to lose their monopoly on southern football when FOX and the Big Ten swoop in. The question that remains to be seen is basically whether they want the ACC around or not, and that will determine which route they take.

I agree with the gist of your post but would have replaced the word "problem" with the word "opportunity" when it comes to ESPN. They had to have significant disparity to incentivize movement when the time comes. Eventually their rights holdings will be grouped by relative value so that they do not overpay or underpay schools. Without a gap large enough to make UNC and Virginia move nothing could happen. 40 million makes everyone appropriately antsy!
08-02-2021 08:04 PM
Alanda Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
(08-02-2021 05:33 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  Apparently not.

(08-02-2021 07:06 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

It's clickbait and wholly BS. SEC protocol for inquiries would never permit the claims made in this tweet.

Interesting. Looks like he's not done just yet. 05-stirthepot

08-02-2021 08:11 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
I've no doubt people at Clemson and FSU have reached out. That's what good ADs do. They consider all the possibilities. Doesn't mean there has been any "official" contact.
08-02-2021 08:41 PM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
(08-02-2021 05:33 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  Apparently not.

So the Tweeter says Twitter is not real life, so logically we should ignore his post too. Maybe his is the fake one.
08-02-2021 10:57 PM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
(08-02-2021 07:57 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  The Marc Ryan guy has just over 5800 followers. Probably had many of them follow him after he posted that tripe.
Barrett Sallee, the guy that said he’s full of excrement, has over 95K followers. Enough said…

Barrett is also an Auburn grad so he's a little light on the brightness quotient.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2021 11:00 PM by Scoochpooch1.)
08-02-2021 11:00 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-02-2021 11:00 PM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  
(08-02-2021 07:57 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  The Marc Ryan guy has just over 5800 followers. Probably had many of them follow him after he posted that tripe.

Barrett is also an Auburn grad so he's a little light on the brightness quotient.

So is Tim Cook, Ken Mattingly, Henry Hartsfield, to name just a few. Where did you graduate?
08-02-2021 11:18 PM
3BNole Online
2nd String

I Root For: Florida State
As expected the (FSU) university president refuted the rumors of the school talking with the SEC in the local paper.
08-03-2021 11:56 AM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
I don't know anything about the story. For all I know a version of it may be true. But Marc Ryan is a complete clown
08-03-2021 12:09 PM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I wouldn’t be shocked if there were influential alumni and boosters from the 2 schools reaching out to their contacts and inquiring on behalf of the universities.

I can only surmise that their are a lot of bitter feelings and mistrust among the ACC schools. The schools who bring in the football money are trapped by those who ride coat tails. Florida St, Clemson, VT, Miami, and Louisville cannot afford to continue to carry the rest. There’s a lot of “you owe us” coming from programs whose stand alone football contract would pretty much look like UConn’s if they were left on their own.
08-03-2021 12:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.