Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Staples: SEC considering 9-game conference schedule
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability
Staples: SEC considering 9-game conference schedule
Quote:Multiple sources from various SEC schools confirmed this weekend that a nine-game conference schedule is one of the possibilities the league will consider as it works to assimilate Oklahoma and Texas. How exactly that would look also would be open for discussion. The league could assign permanent opponents to each team and rotate through the remaining teams. The league could split into four, four-team pods and rotate the schedule that way. The league also could keep two divisions, though there is fear that might seem like two separate conferences. “Everything is on the table,” one source said.

https://theathletic.com/2745528/2021/08/...ed_article
08-02-2021 08:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
RE: Staples: SEC considering 9-game conference schedule
9 games makes a lot of sense. I think the smartest thing to do is 2 8-team divisions and pairing the cross ups over an 8 year cycle such that you get the other divisions 1 & 8, 2 & 7, 3 & 6, or 4 & 5 in a given season. Ex.

West East
1 Oklahoma Alabama
2 LSU Georgia
3 TAMU Florida
4 Texas Auburn
5 Ole Miss Tenn
6 Miss St SC
7 Missouri UK
8 Arkansas Vanderbilt

Ex. In year 1 in the SEC, Oklahoma would play Alabama (this needs to be week 1 in prime time) and Vanderbilt, year 2–Georgia and Kentucky, etc.
08-02-2021 01:06 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
This is a big reason why, even if there were no financial obstacles, the Horns and Sooners would not be joining the SEC until fall 2023 at the earliest. There are too many issues to work out and find agreement on; the football scheduling is just the most prominent.
08-02-2021 01:46 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-02-2021 01:46 PM)Wedge Wrote:  This is a big reason why, even if there were no financial obstacles, the Horns and Sooners would not be joining the SEC until fall 2023 at the earliest. There are too many issues to work out and find agreement on; the football scheduling is just the most prominent.

ESPN doesn't get the game of the week from CBS until 2024. Big 12 contract ends in 2025. Pac 12 contract ends 2024.

2022 is pretty complicated but there are still 3 months before it gets too difficult.
I have always expected 2023.
08-02-2021 02:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.