Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UNCW and and the CAA
Bookmark and Share
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
UNCW and and the CAA
Trying to gauge ya’lls CAA future given the news of the last 2 weeks.

What is the barometer for the CAA around Wilmington?
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2021 11:02 PM by JMU2004.)
07-30-2021 11:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: UNCW and and the CAA
(07-30-2021 11:02 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  Trying to gauge ya’lls CAA future given the news of the last 2 weeks.

What news??
07-31-2021 12:39 AM
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
(07-31-2021 12:39 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(07-30-2021 11:02 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  Trying to gauge ya’lls CAA future given the news of the last 2 weeks.

What news??

I assume he is referring to the next wave of conference realignment. Looks like Texas and Oklahoma are shopping for a new conference home (SEC being first choice), then presumably the Big 12 would look for new members, causing poached conferences to look for new members, etc, etc. Much talk that JMU is finally on the verge of making the jump to FBS football, along with other very good FCS programs.

As for UNCW, I have never seen much evidence of strategic thinking in this area. We have played checkers, rather than chess. No one that matters (that I can tell) has ever plotted multiple moves ahead in order to create a situation that gets us to a place we would want to be. Instead, it's been more reactionary.

It also has hurt badly that the last couple of times there were alignment shake-ups, our basketball program was in terrible condition. Instead of being a program in ascendency, we were posting truly awful records with (some) truly awful leadership in the athletic department/university.

Given that, my own sense is that we would best be served by really hitting it on all cylinders when the next realignment wave hits so that the reality that would exist then, combined with the program's overall history, makes UNCW as attractive a candidate as possible. Until then, the CAA is our home .
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2021 08:03 AM by 70shawk.)
07-31-2021 07:54 AM
Gary Miller Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNCW Seahawks
(07-31-2021 07:54 AM)70shawk Wrote:  

What news??

I assume he is referring to the next wave of conference realignment. Looks like Texas and Oklahoma are shopping for a new conference home (SEC being first choice), then presumably the Big 12 would look for new members, causing poached conferences to look for new members, etc, etc. Much talk that JMU is finally on the verge of making the jump to FBS football, along with other very good FCS programs.

As for UNCW, I have never seen much evidence of strategic thinking in this area. We have played checkers, rather than chess. No one that matters (that I can tell) has ever plotted multiple moves ahead in order to create a situation that gets us to a place we would want to be. Instead, it's been more reactionary.

It also has hurt badly that the last couple of times there were alignment shake-ups, our basketball program was in terrible condition. Instead of being a program in ascendency, we were posting truly awful records with (some) truly awful leadership in the athletic department/university.

Given that, my own sense is that we would best be served by really hitting it on all cylinders when the next realignment wave hits so that the reality that would exist then, combined with the program's overall history, makes UNCW as attractive a candidate as possible. Until then, the CAA is our home .

Not having a football program will always make us less attractive when conference realignment happens unless the A10 sees a need for us which is doubtful. Only thing I could see is maybe the ASUN tries to pry us and CofC away from the CAA. Not saying it would be a better home for us geographically but they do at least seem to be a conference with a vision. Solid Mid Major basketball programs already there in Liberty, FGCU, Lipscomb, and EKU as well as baseball with Stetson, Jacksonville, FGCU, and Liberty.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2021 10:21 AM by Gary Miller.)
07-31-2021 09:49 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

What news??

70s nailed it.

We really hurt ourselves as everytime there has been big movement, we have been in the toilet. Our small market doesn't help either and we don't have knockout facilities that show sign of investment.

All the schools we would want to play outside of Charleston and A10 schools have football. So unless we want to join up with the Big South's non football schools or get invited to the A10 we are going to have to deal with the fact of being a non football school in a football conference.

As I have said before l, The CAA is always going to be a jumbled mess until it picks a direction. Either CoC and UNCW or Hofstra and Northeastern need to find a new home. The core of the CAA is a mid atlantic FCS conference from Philly market to Greensboro market and it really isn't that bad. It's non football members being on the northern and southern edges kill the conference's ability to have a central vision.

All we can do is invest and improve so that maybe one day the A10 will invite us if they ever get more room or the SoCon throws us a lifeline. However we would still have long trips and even flights in the SoCon as we would be going west instead of north
08-01-2021 06:03 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
(08-01-2021 06:03 PM)solohawks Wrote:  

What news??

70s nailed it.

We really hurt ourselves as everytime there has been big movement, we have been in the toilet. Our small market doesn't help either and we don't have knockout facilities that show sign of investment.

All the schools we would want to play outside of Charleston and A10 schools have football. So unless we want to join up with the Big South's non football schools or get invited to the A10 we are going to have to deal with the fact of being a non football school in a football conference.

As I have said before l, The CAA is always going to be a jumbled mess until it picks a direction. Either CoC and UNCW or Hofstra and Northeastern need to find a new home. The core of the CAA is a mid atlantic FCS conference from Philly market to Greensboro market and it really isn't that bad. It's non football members being on the northern and southern edges kill the conference's ability to have a central vision.

All we can do is invest and improve so that maybe one day the A10 will invite us if they ever get more room or the SoCon throws us a lifeline. However we would still have long trips and even flights in the SoCon as we would be going west instead of north

The A10 provides the focus on basketball, but there is really nothing special about the schools themselves. The schools aren't that big size wise as a whole, their facilities are better then some CAA schools, but again, not as a whole. What they do have are a few schools that have had sustained success. That's what's missing in the CAA. I actually like the schools in the CAA, and I see that there is a path forward for success in basketball and this is N/S divisions. Short of that, the A10 should be our focus.
08-02-2021 05:23 PM
Advertisement

Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-02-2021 05:23 PM)82hawk Wrote:  

What news??

70s nailed it.

The A10 provides the focus on basketball, but there is really nothing special about the schools themselves. The schools aren't that big size wise as a whole, their facilities are better then some CAA schools, but again, not as a whole. What they do have are a few schools that have had sustained success. That's what's missing in the CAA. I actually like the schools in the CAA, and I see that there is a path forward for success in basketball and this is N/S divisions. Short of that, the A10 should be our focus.
We need to sustain success before the A10 wouldn't laugh at us. Why would they even think about taking us now?
08-02-2021 07:45 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

What news??

70s nailed it.

The quality of the conference combined with its non football basketball focused nature makes it the best possible outcome for UNCW. The southern wing of the A10 makes geographic sense for UNCW.

Outside of Charleston no southern school in the CAA is going to prioritize basketball. The only good thing about the CAA is that it has better basketball than the Big South
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2021 10:33 PM by solohawks.)
08-02-2021 10:32 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

If that moron convinces the universities to renew with with Flo...
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2021 08:28 AM by solohawks.)
08-03-2021 08:28 AM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(08-02-2021 07:45 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(07-31-2021 12:39 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  What news??

70s nailed it.

We need to sustain success before the A10 wouldn't laugh at us. Why would they even think about taking us now?

Who said anything about now? This thread is about our future and IMO the A10 is our best landing spot as a step up from the CAA.
08-03-2021 12:10 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(08-02-2021 10:32 PM)solohawks Wrote:  
(07-31-2021 12:39 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  What news??

70s nailed it.

The quality of the conference combined with its non football basketball focused nature makes it the best possible outcome for UNCW. The southern wing of the A10 makes geographic sense for UNCW.

Outside of Charleston no southern school in the CAA is going to prioritize basketball. The only good thing about the CAA is that it has better basketball than the Big South

I don't agree. I think Elon, UNCW, William and Mary, CofC, are all going to prioritize in the south. And I think NU, Hofstra, Drexel and Towson have all made basketball a priority. Football dominates at JMU and Delaware, but I don't think the rest of the CAA schools are pushing towards FBS football.
08-03-2021 12:14 PM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-03-2021 12:14 PM)82hawk Wrote:  
(08-02-2021 10:32 PM)solohawks Wrote:  
(07-31-2021 07:54 AM)70shawk Wrote:  As for UNCW, I have never seen much evidence of strategic thinking in this area. We have played checkers, rather than chess. No one that matters (that I can tell) has ever plotted multiple moves ahead in order to create a situation that gets us to a place we would want to be. Instead, it's been more reactionary.

70s nailed it.

I don't agree. I think Elon, UNCW, William and Mary, CofC, are all going to prioritize in the south. And I think NU, Hofstra, Drexel and Towson have all made basketball a priority. Football dominates at JMU and Delaware, but I don't think the rest of the CAA schools are pushing towards FBS football.

If you have football, football will dictate the decisions made by your program

That is why the A10 would be the best fit for us, as that is a basketball driven conference

The CAA is not a basketball driven conference even though half the school's do not play football.

Not only is there a north-south divide but there is a football-non football divide.

Here is how I see the voting blocks in the CAA

Non Football North
Drexel
Delaware
Hofstra

Non Football South
UNCW
CoC

Football South
JMU
W&M
Elon

Football North
Delaware
Towson
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2021 12:30 PM by solohawks.)
08-03-2021 12:26 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
UNCW and and the CAA
Oh good. The conference conversation again. Lol

I live for these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2021 03:03 PM by B_Hawk06.)
08-03-2021 03:02 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(08-03-2021 03:02 PM)B_Hawk06 Wrote:  Oh good. The conference conversation again. Lol

I live for these.

It may actually be at our footsteps soon, so it's a worthy conversation. Conference onsolidation is happening and it's going to affect every conference in some manner.
08-03-2021 03:30 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-03-2021 03:02 PM)B_Hawk06 Wrote:  Oh good. The conference conversation again. Lol

I live for these.

I found news about 2 of our non confernce games and another idiot comment by our commissioner but that didn't gain any response
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2021 07:50 PM by solohawks.)
08-03-2021 07:49 PM
70shawk Offline
All American

(08-03-2021 03:30 PM)82hawk Wrote:  It may actually be at our footsteps soon, so it's a worthy conversation. Conference onsolidation is happening and it's going to affect every conference in some manner.

Is there any evidence that you know of that people in authority at UNCW are having that conversation? Or game planning "what if" scenarios? Or having off the record conversations with their counterparts at like-minded basketball schools to collectively be ready to converse as these events unfold?

(I get where B Hawk is coming from. But this is one of those times where, once again, it really IS different. Once the realignment train gets rolling you either get on it or you get left behind and you get what you get. "Joey D" defending the FloSports deal tells me all I need to know about what the CAA will end up looking like if our fate is left in his hands.}
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2021 06:47 AM by 70shawk.)
08-04-2021 06:21 AM
Advertisement

jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

I Root For: NA
(08-04-2021 06:21 AM)70shawk Wrote:  
(08-03-2021 03:30 PM)82hawk Wrote:  It may actually be at our footsteps soon, so it's a worthy conversation. Conference onsolidation is happening and it's going to affect every conference in some manner.

Is there any evidence that you know of that people in authority at UNCW are having that conversation? Or game planning "what if" scenarios? Or having off the record conversations with their counterparts at like-minded basketball schools to collectively be ready to converse as these events unfold?

(I get where B Hawk is coming from. But this is one of those times where, once again, it really IS different. Once the realignment train gets rolling you either get on it or you get left behind and you get what you get. "Joey D" defending the FloSports deal tells me all I need to know about what the CAA will end up looking like if our fate is left in his hands.}
If they are actually making plans for what if scenarios it would be a first for me hearing about that. UNCW has a solid baseball program as it's best program and I would like to see them look toward a better fit but I have no reason to think it will happen. I see them staying put in the CAA unless they are kicked out and that has all most no chance of taking place. I would be stunned if the A10 invites UNCW at this point . Maybe if the basketball team puts a few good seasons together but right now it is more of a Big South program . Facilities at UNCW are also a huge drawback to moving up to a better conference . We have heard about the plans for years for improvements with very little real work going on.
08-04-2021 09:49 AM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
For the record, I should probably clarify.

I'm just as fed up with the lack of proper leadership and good decisions by the CAA as everyone else. Should we always be looking for the next step? Absolutely. It's just like with our professional lives, as everyone professionally have a 1 year, 3 year, 5 year and maybe even a 10 year plan. If you don't have those plans, goals, it makes it really easy to stall out and even make poor decisions that seem right at the time because there was no plan.

Granted this is a message board, and while many of us think we're connected somehow to the decisions of the school and athletic dept... the reality is we're probably not, or at least to the extent our brains believe we are. That's not saying there aren't people around here with some sort of inside info, but something of this magnitude, I doubt it. Even if the AD is looking in the direction of potentially leaving the CAA, it's not exactly something he's going to let slip out into ears of those who won't keep their mouths shut about it. For good reason too, as there's a lot of backroom negotiating that would have to take place and any sort of info slip could damage UNCW's ability to negotiate from any sort of position of power.

Regardless, I just laugh and like to make light of these conversations because it always devolves into the same exact reasons the participants for their conference of choice. If we're seriously honest with ourselves, the state of UNCW basketball and general athletics/funding at UNCW gives us very few options if any at all. Thus, taking me back to that "position of power" portion of this post. We see ourselves through rose colored lenses quite often, but I don't think UNCW is in too much of a position to get much of what we want in terms of "picking" a new conference any time soon.
08-05-2021 11:41 AM
70shawk Offline
All American

https://www.dnronline.com/sports/jmu-cou...c1f04.html

Of interest: "JMU Could See Better Options In Further Conference Realignment"
08-20-2021 07:38 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-20-2021 07:38 AM)70shawk Wrote:  https://www.dnronline.com/sports/jmu-cou...c1f04.html

Of interest: "JMU Could See Better Options In Further Conference Realignment"

If JMU gets a chance to move up to FBS again, I would be shocked if they turned it down a 2nd time
08-20-2021 09:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.