Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NBA draft
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
NBA draft
The selection of Jalen Green at #2 could open the floodgates of top high school talent right to the G-League. That won't be such a bad thing for college basketball.
07-29-2021 07:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
RE: NBA draft
It will be interesting to balance that with NIL compensation, though.

I’ve long said that many fans have been overrating the “Alabama car dealer booster signing up a football recruit” for NIL money and underrating the national Nike/adidas money for basketball players. I think the latter will end up having a much greater impact on the sport.
07-29-2021 08:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
14 picks in and not a single player from a blue blood school yet. This is a sea change in college hoops.
07-29-2021 08:30 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Two G-League players chosen in the top 7 tonight.

As Frank said, Nike and adidas can now legally pay college players as much as or more than a G League salary -- but Nike or adidas could also pay a G-Leaguer money on top of his salary.
07-30-2021 12:38 AM
SoCalBobcat78 Online
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
(07-29-2021 08:30 PM)ken d Wrote:  14 picks in and not a single player from a blue blood school yet. This is a sea change in college hoops.

It is one draft and I would not read too much into it. The blue-blood schools look strong for the 2021-2022 season and have done well in recruiting in 2021 and working the transfer portal. All traditional blue-blood schools are in the preseason top 25 rankings:
https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men...withdrawal

This draft looked like the 247sports.com rankings of top 2020 basketball recruits. No. 1 ranked Cade Cunningham was the No. 1 draft pick. His brother was an assistant coach at Oklahoma State. No. 2 ranked Jalen Green was the No. 2 draft pick. No. 3 ranked Evan Mobley was the No. 3 draft pick. His father is an assistant coach at USC. Six of the top seven draft picks were five star high school basketball players in 2020. The only player in the top 7 that was not a five star high school recruit in 2020 was Josh Giddey, the 18 year old point guard out of Australia.

Cunningham and Mobley likely ended up where they did due to family connections. Green went to the G League for the money. I am not sure that is indicative of a trend, especially wth the new NIL guidelines. Ziaire Williams, the No. 10 draft pick and the No. 6 ranked player in the nation in 2020, decided to attend Stanford because he is an aspiring venture capitalist and entrepreneur, and he thought Stanford would be a great place to grow and establish connections for the future. He is not your typical five star high school basketball player.

I see the blue-bloods as strong as ever, with schools like Michigan and Gonzaga really looking good as well. Duke is playing Kentucky on November 9th at Madison Square Garden. UCLA takes on Gonzaga in Las Vegas on November 23rd. North Carolina plays Michigan and UCLA in December. Kentucky is at Kansas in January. Looks like a great college basketball season coming up.
07-30-2021 10:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.