Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dodds: Big 12 ADs Meeting Friday
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
Dodds: Big 12 ADs Meeting Friday

First step towards expansion invitations being sent out?
07-29-2021 09:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Thewavefan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulane
RE: Dodds: Big 12 ADs Meeting Friday
(07-29-2021 09:59 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  

Next steps? You mean beg the AAC to take them all. Ha, maybe we should send them to the Sun Belt where they belong.
07-29-2021 10:07 AM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii

That’s my guess. They’ve probably been asked to make recommendations to their bosses on whether to backfill with one, two or four new members and which potential invitees bring the most to the table from an athletics standpoint.
07-29-2021 10:09 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
It will be fascinating if they can pick of any schools in ESPN's AAC since they have planted themselves pretty firmly in the non ESPN camp of college sports.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2021 10:12 AM by solohawks.)
07-29-2021 10:11 AM
PlayBall! Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kansas & Big XII
+2 teams first, I'll predict. Timed to enter when OU and UT negotiate a graceful exit.

BYU and UC up first, most likely. Although BYU and AFA (full), and Army+Navy (FB only) in the future is a really interesting idea. UCF, CSU, and others, get your ducks in a row too to apply! Graceful exits from your current homes encouraged, as will be favorable scheduling alliances with your old friends and rivals.
07-29-2021 10:13 AM
Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

I Root For: &
(07-29-2021 10:11 AM)solohawks Wrote:  It will be fascinating if they can pick of any schools in ESPN's AAC since they have planted themselves pretty firmly in the non ESPN camp of college sports.

That's not happening, especially with the cease and desist.

They won't be getting BYU either another ESPN exclusive partner. The spite will ensure it.

So if they are looking, its Army or the MW.

Boise and AFA are the best odds right now.
07-29-2021 10:19 AM
Advertisement

Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
They will be concerned with getting all their exit fee money and currently contracted TV money. They will be focused on how to do that.

Any expansion or teams leaving will be dependent on their strategy for getting all the money they can.
07-29-2021 10:20 AM
OscarWildeCat Offline
1st String

I Root For: ACU & UGA
(07-29-2021 10:20 AM)Claw Wrote:  They will be concerned with getting all their exit fee money and currently contracted TV money. They will be focused on how to do that.

Any expansion or teams leaving will be dependent on their strategy for getting all the money they can.

I’d hope they would also be looking at the longer term future. Are there moves we can add now to maximize the value of our next contract with Fox or whoever? It looks like they won’t have a future with ESPN, for sure.
07-29-2021 10:26 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
They aren't going to expand. They just want to play the victim and cry about ESPN not playing fair. They just want to meet and confirm they are staying together. Their game plan is to holding out for the lawsuits GOR and Exit Fee money. Screw the future, they only care about how they have been hurt.

If Bob can get them all in a room, at least we know they are here instead of pimping themselves to other conferences.

It's a lot easier to show your lost profitability due to ESPN "tampering" if you keep the membership the same. Adding members only muddies the waters on what damages were done due to Texas and OU leaving.
07-29-2021 10:28 AM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
BYU should be #1 priority. If they say no, take a pair from the AAC and hold off at 10. Target play for 2025.
07-29-2021 10:36 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(07-29-2021 10:07 AM)Thewavefan Wrote:  

Next steps? You mean beg the AAC to take them all. Ha, maybe we should send them to the Sun Belt where they belong.

So...we just gonna ignore that the B12 is still an autonomy confrence no matter what ESPN says?

Cool

07-coffee3
07-29-2021 10:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
I am sure schools will want to enter a chaotic mess that is the Big 12. Looks very attractive. The commish is attacking a broadcast partner and the deal has 4 more years on it.
07-29-2021 10:40 AM
maybeimhere Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston
(07-29-2021 10:38 AM)panama Wrote:  

So...we just gonna ignore that the B12 is still an autonomy confrence no matter what ESPN says?

Cool

07-coffee3

Once the merger goes through, the Big American will be the autonomy conference.
07-29-2021 10:40 AM
PicksUp Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTEP, Texas
(07-29-2021 10:28 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  They aren't going to expand. They just want to play the victim and cry about ESPN not playing fair. They just want to meet and confirm they are staying together. Their game plan is to holding out for the lawsuits GOR and Exit Fee money. Screw the future, they only care about how they have been hurt.

If Bob can get them all in a room, at least we know they are here instead of pimping themselves to other conferences.

It's a lot easier to show your lost profitability due to ESPN "tampering" if you keep the membership the same. Adding members only muddies the waters on what damages were done due to Texas and OU leaving.

We’re talking about Hundreds of millions of dollars here. They should be upset.

Hows that quote go?

Business bad?!
Eff you, pay me.

Oh you had a fire?
Eff you pay me!
07-29-2021 10:41 AM
Thewavefan Offline
Special Teams

(07-29-2021 10:38 AM)panama Wrote:  

Cool

07-coffee3

ESPN IS college football. What they say goes and they are saying it’s the AAC’s turn to be a power conference and there’s really nothing anybody can do about it.
07-29-2021 10:47 AM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(07-29-2021 10:19 AM)Foreverandever Wrote:  
(07-29-2021 10:11 AM)solohawks Wrote:  It will be fascinating if they can pick of any schools in ESPN's AAC since they have planted themselves pretty firmly in the non ESPN camp of college sports.

They won't be getting BYU either another ESPN exclusive partner. The spite will ensure it.

I'm going completely the opposite direction on this one.

24 hours ago, I would have believed that the Big 12 would expand with the minimum number of schools possible. Maybe Cincinnati plus BYU.

Today, I think they're going to smack the AAC *HARD*. The AAC tried to present themselves as a threat and, to the extent that it was even credible, the Big 12 is going to strip mine anyone of value from the AAC.

Cincinnati will likely be fine coming out of this here. Houston and UCF will probably be fine, too. Memphis is at least in the green room.

However, any schadenfreude from the bottom half of the AAC is WILDLY misplaced. Up to this point, the Big 12 has been convincing themselves that none of the AAC schools had any value. Now, I think they're going to convince themselves to take any AAC school that would have ANY value.

Nothing is going to happen to ESPN. However, the AAC tried to fire a preemptive strike since they knew that they were at risk of losing schools to the Big 12 and I think it's going to backfire badly. The Big 12 was going to be reluctant on expansion 24 hours ago, but now I think they're COMPLETELY motivated to take any value from the AAC possible.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2021 10:49 AM by Frank the Tank.)
07-29-2021 10:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

esayem Online
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
BYU will want to keep their network, and don’t they have a contract with ESPN? I see that as problematic, in addition to other issues with BYU’s admittance.

Two of Houston, Cincinnati, and UCF seem to be the most sensible options, although BYU would be the best overall addition. Too much baggage.
07-29-2021 10:49 AM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
I agree to that the American misplayed here. Big 12 will feel a need to take someone from them now (even if just 1 and just to 10) just ensure that narrative stops. It was absurd to start with, but I do get it sucks on the American end to possibly be losing bigger names just as things were trending fairly well.

I think they settle on 12. Eight or 10 are more profitable for now, but they don't want to be seen as both smallest and weakest p5. Ten is fairly likely to. Regardless I think payout structured so incoming members don't get buyout money.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2021 10:56 AM by ohio1317.)
07-29-2021 10:54 AM
Thewavefan Offline
Special Teams

(07-29-2021 10:48 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

24 hours ago, I would have believed that the Big 12 would expand with the minimum number of schools possible. Maybe Cincinnati plus BYU.

Today, I think they're going to smack the AAC *HARD*. The AAC tried to present themselves as a threat and, to the extent that it was even credible, the Big 12 is going to strip mine anyone of value from the AAC.

Cincinnati will likely be fine coming out of this here. Houston and UCF will probably be fine, too. Memphis is at least in the green room.

However, any schadenfreude from the bottom half of the AAC is WILDLY misplaced. Up to this point, the Big 12 has been convincing themselves that none of the AAC schools had any value. Now, I think they're going to convince themselves to take any AAC school that would have ANY value.

Nothing is going to happen to ESPN. However, the AAC tried to fire a preemptive strike since they knew that they were at risk of losing schools to the Big 12 and I think it's going to backfire badly. The Big 12 was going to be reluctant on expansion 24 hours ago, but now I think they're COMPLETELY motivated to take any value from the AAC possible.

The Big 12 is in no position to do that. You can’t beat ESPN, they have spoken. They want the Big 12 to go away and what they say goes. The Big 12 has no value anymore, the AAC with ESPN is firmly in control right now.
07-29-2021 10:54 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(07-29-2021 10:48 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

Sounds like the MWC's reaction to Karl Benson's WAC project
07-29-2021 10:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.