Open TigerLinks

Thread Closed 
Conference Expansion Past/Future Plans FYI
Bookmark and Share
griffin Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
Conference Expansion Past/Future Plans FYI
Simply posting data to consume as I read posts about past expansion and what could unfold. I've received request to provide information if I had any and thought I would provide first hand information on the past and future.

This is an open board so I understand people will want to debate things they were not aware of, aware of now or simply do not believe. Do with it as you will.

Every single data point was a direct conversation with either the President, AD or other significant individual.

Please keep in mind, I am leaving out a lot of other bullet points merely because of time and it's been awhile on some of this

Past Expansion B12

1) Memphis and Cincy were told we were in - far before ESPN got involved
2) Both universities presented to the B12
3) Oklahoma President was the contact and the lead dog for the B12 - he was Rudd's main contact who informed us we were in based on league votes
4) ESPN stepped in - met with B12 and informed the teams "hey if you do not expand we will pay you the additional payouts of those two teams but divide it among yourselves" - they accepted.
5) Prior to them accepting the B12 decided they had to do something because of all of the ruckus they started and started interviewing lots of teams, BIG POINT HERE: The reason Cincy went back in was because they had recently replaced their President and the B12 is run by the Presidents. Yes, Rudd knew when they did the dog and pony show they were never going to expand
6) KEY POINT: Prior to ESPN getting involved - Rudd was told "your in" we just need to vote on it
7) Only debatable point is whether the B12 was ever going to expand and used Memphis and Cincy as leverage with ESPN to get more money. Are they that smart? Maybe - not sure

Those are facts above, not speculation or here say. First hand conversations

Other Information related to plans for Memphis on expansion:

1) There is and has been a tremendous amount of effort going on in the back ground in preparation for another round of expansion.
2) 99.99% of the public would never know it has gone on and is going on. Key Point
3) There are plans for a massive expansion of the campus - from where it is now all the way to and including all of Audubon Park - that would connect the South Campus with the existing campus and Audubon Park
4) Part of that expansion was Memphis taking over the Tennis center, which has already occurred - part of the plan and overall strategy
5) Imagine having all of Audubon park as the Memphis campus, on campus stadium with the area that has all of the trees as our "Memphis Grove" - plenty of parking and an incredible campus atmosphere
6) There could be an additional 10 hours of typing bullet points here to explain what is all in this planning but you get the jest - all of this was and is tied in with all of the brick and mortar on campus and investment around campus with private funds. Developers who are connected have already started if you haven't noticed
7) LB renovations announcement accomplished this: We are in this for real message, this is just a first step when we meet with you we will provide the details. - Great move by the powers that be and no, we can't just say we are doing this three years ago because its' also about politics in Memphis and we do not own the stadium. We have to do things strategically and take advantage of the momentum.

While we are in a good place we do have some serious real challenges with potential conference suitors. Hopefully the current situation of hectic conference expansion covers those things up. Where it lands no one but ESPN knows, they are controlling everything and have been since the B12 did not expand.

Peace out Great time to be a Tiger fan from a conference realignment perspective.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2021 08:56 AM by griffin.)
07-29-2021 08:43 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Conference Expansion Past/Future Plans FYI
For those of you were somehow upset that GRIFFIN has posted this and that he has the gall to say we were one of the first two choices of the big 12 last time, what he is saying was presented to him by people in positions to know. Griffin talked to the principals in the deal, while the deal was going on - it is 100% accurate from the university of Memphis perspective.
07-29-2021 11:41 AM
poppaslaw Offline
Social Credit Score - 0

I Root For: CHY-NAH

Donators
What does Pickwick Tiger have to say about it?
07-29-2021 11:43 AM
griffin Offline
All American

(07-29-2021 11:43 AM)poppaslaw Wrote:  What does Pickwick Tiger have to say about it?

He would say the exact same thing since that is me, I have a tendency to not remember passwords - you an look at both and notice i post infrequently on both and pop in and out every six months or so. Never at the same time.

Same thing on the other private board, could not remember when I change laptops and travel.

Pickwick is because I have a lake home and a subdivision I purchased here. Have not logged into that account in years, I can if you like.

Pickwick and Griffin both talk to the President, AD and Head Coaches - since I am the same person

Jettalakeproperties.com

50 lots, 8 boat slips, about to start building two spec homes if anyone is interested. A hobby I back into at Pickwick during my retirement.
07-29-2021 11:48 AM
aardWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(07-29-2021 11:48 AM)griffin Wrote:  
(07-29-2021 11:43 AM)poppaslaw Wrote:  What does Pickwick Tiger have to say about it?

He would say the exact same thing since that is me, I have a tendency to not remember passwords - you an look at both and notice i post infrequently on both and pop in and out every six months or so. Never at the same time.

Same thing on the other private board, could not remember when I change laptops and travel.

Pickwick is because I have a lake home and a subdivision I purchased here. Have not logged into that account in years, I can if you like.

Pickwick and Griffin both talk to the President, AD and Head Coaches - since I am the same person

Jettalakeproperties.com

50 lots, 8 boat slips, about to start building two spec homes if anyone is interested. A hobby I back into at Pickwick during my retirement.

This helps me immensely with keeping passwords straight, and making sure I don't reuse them.
http://1password.com
07-29-2021 11:50 AM
poppaslaw Offline
Social Credit Score - 0

I Root For: CHY-NAH

Donators

Jettalakeproperties.com

[Image: 200.gif]
07-29-2021 11:51 AM
Advertisement

griffin Offline
All American

(07-29-2021 11:50 AM)aardWolf Wrote:  

Jettalakeproperties.com

This helps me immensely with keeping passwords straight, and making sure I don't reuse them.
Thank you so much, I definitely need that.
07-29-2021 11:54 AM
gusrob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS - My Alma Mater
Thanks for sharing
07-29-2021 12:06 PM
BandwagonJumper Away
First name Greatest, Last name Ever

I Root For: winners
Pickwick used to be awesome.

I traded my Northshore for a J. Percy, and have zero regrats.
07-29-2021 12:11 PM
bbqtiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: U of M always
Thanks, Griffin. I always appreciate your posts.
07-29-2021 12:13 PM
Memphis Yankee Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-29-2021 11:54 AM)griffin Wrote:  

Jettalakeproperties.com

Just be stupid like me and use the same password for everything. Hey Griffin, do you care if this information goes outside of this board? e.g. AAC board.
07-29-2021 12:14 PM
Advertisement

fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
onward, forward
07-29-2021 12:16 PM
griffin Offline
All American

(07-29-2021 12:14 PM)Memphis Yankee Wrote:  

Jettalakeproperties.com

Just be stupid like me and use the same password for everything. Hey Griffin, do you care if this information goes outside of this board? e.g. AAC board.

I do not, its real data and accurate Keep in mind those who do not want to believe will not believe for their own reasons. As much as not knowing the person providing the info. I face it all the time when I post things.
07-29-2021 12:18 PM
Memphis Yankee Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-29-2021 12:18 PM)griffin Wrote:  
(07-29-2021 12:14 PM)Memphis Yankee Wrote:  
(07-29-2021 11:48 AM)griffin Wrote:  He would say the exact same thing since that is me, I have a tendency to not remember passwords - you an look at both and notice i post infrequently on both and pop in and out every six months or so. Never at the same time.

Jettalakeproperties.com

I do not, its real data and accurate Keep in mind those who do not want to believe will not believe for their own reasons. As much as not knowing the person providing the info. I face it all the time when I post things.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm tired of them saying Memphis was never considered.
07-29-2021 12:30 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
[Image: giphy.webp]
07-29-2021 12:40 PM
griffin Offline
All American

I did forgot to add this which was pretty nice at the time was prompted by another post on another thread.

This is for all of us lifelong tiger fans, its a feel good - but its real let this sink in

The ACC back when this was going on reached out to Memphis and Tom met with them in Atlanta twice. Good conversation was had

Just FYI, like I said a lot went on behind the scenes as you could imagine. Legitimate interest from ACC back then. When the B12 did what they did it all stopped.

Tom felt we may receive an invite from the ACC if the B12 was going to move forward
07-29-2021 01:15 PM
Advertisement

oruvoice Offline
Heisman

And all this time, I thought 'griffin' was 'btiger'...
07-29-2021 01:20 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(07-29-2021 01:20 PM)oruvoice Wrote:  And all this time, I thought 'griffin' was 'btiger'...

Btiger is a troll, but he for sure has access to information and for sure isn't Griffin/Pickwick.
07-29-2021 01:21 PM
griffin Offline
All American

(07-29-2021 01:20 PM)oruvoice Wrote:  And all this time, I thought 'griffin' was 'btiger'...

I am so sorry you thought that.

He does troll and is very good at it and has good info - uses it and slants it

I look like a troll because I provide real data, whether its good or bad. Data is data. It helps figure out what is going on so that you can move on.
07-29-2021 01:24 PM
oruvoice Offline
Heisman

(07-29-2021 01:24 PM)griffin Wrote:  

I am so sorry you thought that.

He does troll and is very good at it and has good info - uses it and slants it

I look like a troll because I provide real data, whether its good or bad. Data is data. It helps figure out what is going on so that you can move on.

I was totally joking.

I don't take message boards as seriously as some. 04-cheers
07-29-2021 01:34 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.