Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

B1G more likely to take UCF and Houston over Leftover 8?
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
B1G more likely to take UCF and Houston over Leftover 8?
UCF and Houston are simply more attractive. ESPN has signaled to everyone that the Leftover 8 are equivalent to other AAC teams. UCF and Houston have large markets and tv numbers to backup their claims where the Leftover 8 struggle to be relevant.

B1G has a chance to get into the Texas and Florida markets. AAC teams don't have a grant of rights and the exit fees are manageable. Meanwhile the Leftover 8 are sending cease and desist orders to anyone poking around.

Let the geography and AAU comments rain in but TV money is writing checks that are pretty significant and B1G needs to grab as many tv markets as possible.
07-29-2021 08:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: B1G more likely to take UCF and Houston over Leftover 8?
I understand posting this if you're in the middle of a dream - but when you wake up, I highly advise deleting.
07-29-2021 08:44 AM
whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn
Dude, they're more likely to take Buffalo with the requirement that their facilities get a major upgrade. At least they check the AAU box.
07-29-2021 08:52 AM
b2b Online
Heisman

I Root For: My Family + ECU
LMFAO. Pass the bong dude.
07-29-2021 08:56 AM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
(07-29-2021 08:40 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  UCF and Houston are simply more attractive. ESPN has signaled to everyone that the Leftover 8 are equivalent to other AAC teams. UCF and Houston have large markets and tv numbers to backup their claims where the Leftover 8 struggle to be relevant.

B1G has a chance to get into the Texas and Florida markets. AAC teams don't have a grant of rights and the exit fees are manageable. Meanwhile the Leftover 8 are sending cease and desist orders to anyone poking around.

Let the geography and AAU comments rain in but TV money is writing checks that are pretty significant and B1G needs to grab as many tv markets as possible.

I'm not sure which is more pathetic:

A. A man having a mindset that fueled such a post

or ...

B. A middle-aged gent referring to himself as Bill Dazzle
07-29-2021 09:04 AM
memphistiger89 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
To the OP, as someone who lives in B1G country, you don’t really understand the conference.
07-29-2021 09:15 AM
Advertisement

Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
(07-29-2021 08:40 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  UCF and Houston are simply more attractive. ESPN has signaled to everyone that the Leftover 8 are equivalent to other AAC teams. UCF and Houston have large markets and tv numbers to backup their claims where the Leftover 8 struggle to be relevant.

No, never
07-29-2021 09:24 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(07-29-2021 08:40 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  UCF and Houston are simply more attractive.

Well, imagine the chortling in SEC HQ if the B1G's response to the SEC acquiring Texas and Oklahoma is the B1G striking back boldly with .... UCF and Houston. That would be embarrassing, IMO.

Picking USF would be too, btw. But if the B1G is going to enter Florida, and it isn't going to make a play for FSU or Miami, it would pick USF over UCF, as we are much more compatible academically.

Just MO.

Beyond that, the B1G's past history is that it wants flagships with very good academics and athletics, save for the brief burst of market insanity that brought the Rutgers invite. UCF just doesn't fit the bill at all. Again, neither does USF (or Houston). The B1G always wants the #1 school in a state.

07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2021 09:28 AM by quo vadis.)
07-29-2021 09:26 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

(07-29-2021 09:15 AM)memphistiger89 Wrote:  To the OP, as someone who lives in B1G country, you don’t really understand the conference.

Clearly I don't, B1G country doesn't like money I guess. AAU status is some hood ornament that was relevant in the 1990s. No idea how that translates to money for the Athletic Departments. Meanwhile tv markets have been driving the bus in realignment for a long time now.

But what do I know... I'm a UCF fan, we claim national championships and start fires to watch the college football landscape burn. The majority of our brand has been berthed from always being in the realignment discussions. Large and growing alumni base, premier recruiting grounds, large tv market, NY6 bowl wins...
07-29-2021 09:37 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
Is this assuming that Tulane and ECU would be unavailable?
07-29-2021 09:42 AM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
AAU plus don't they require a school be in a state that borders at least one Big 10 state, or is that just casual guidance? If we take the border rule literally, then schools from the following states are eligible: New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Missouri, Kansas, South Dakota and North Dakota, along with of course the states that already have a Big 10 school.

Plus while this isn't the drive, imagine the optics of the SEC taking two of the biggest names in college sports and the Big 10 responding with two G5 additions.
07-29-2021 09:43 AM
Advertisement

ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

(07-29-2021 09:42 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Is this assuming that Tulane and ECU would be unavailable?

I mean, Tulane has already rejected membership to the SEC. So who knows what's next for them.
07-29-2021 09:46 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

(07-29-2021 09:43 AM)Cyniclone Wrote:  AAU plus don't they require a school be in a state that borders at least one Big 10 state, or is that just casual guidance? If we take the border rule literally, then schools from the following states are eligible: New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Missouri, Kansas, South Dakota and North Dakota, along with of course the states that already have a Big 10 school.

Plus while this isn't the drive, imagine the optics of the SEC taking two of the biggest names in college sports and the Big 10 responding with two G5 additions.

Someone should notify the Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens that they are a favorite based on geographic arguments.
07-29-2021 09:49 AM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(07-29-2021 09:49 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  
(07-29-2021 09:43 AM)Cyniclone Wrote:  AAU plus don't they require a school be in a state that borders at least one Big 10 state, or is that just casual guidance? If we take the border rule literally, then schools from the following states are eligible: New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Missouri, Kansas, South Dakota and North Dakota, along with of course the states that already have a Big 10 school.

Someone should notify the Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens that they are a favorite based on geographic arguments.

Obviously UDel isn't going to be invited but if you gave UCF an AAU membership and moved the whole shooting match to Wilmington, you'd probably be in pretty great shape, except for the part about being in Delaware.
07-29-2021 10:00 AM
CarlSmithCenter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ball So Hard U
(07-29-2021 08:52 AM)whittx Wrote:  Dude, they're more likely to take Buffalo with the requirement that their facilities get a major upgrade. At least they check the AAU box.

Let's think even bigger --- McGill and the University of Toronto to the B1G. Both are AAU and add the vital Quebec and Ontario markets, and Quebec borders Ontario, which borders Michigan, which means the B1G maintains geographic contiguousness.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2021 10:06 AM by CarlSmithCenter.)
07-29-2021 10:04 AM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion

ESPN didn't signal that the Big 8 are equivalent in value to the AAC, they signaled that it would be more cost effective to them to have those teams move to the AAC than the B12 take the top of that conference.
07-29-2021 10:09 AM
Advertisement

HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Marshall has a better chance of being the 33rd NFL franchise than Houston or UCF ever has of joining the B10. Why do people post such outlandish claims that they know are so far fetched it just makes them look dumb. As Mark Twain said “It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt” .
07-29-2021 10:14 AM
CarlSmithCenter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ball So Hard U
(07-29-2021 09:37 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  
(07-29-2021 09:15 AM)memphistiger89 Wrote:  To the OP, as someone who lives in B1G country, you don’t really understand the conference.

Clearly I don't, B1G country doesn't like money I guess. AAU status is some hood ornament that was relevant in the 1990s. No idea how that translates to money for the Athletic Departments. Meanwhile tv markets have been driving the bus in realignment for a long time now.

But what do I know... I'm a UCF fan, we claim national championships and start fires to watch the college football landscape burn. The majority of our brand has been berthed from always being in the realignment discussions. Large and growing alumni base, premier recruiting grounds, large tv market, NY6 bowl wins...

The Knights have a nice football program but if you think the B1G is going to overlook all of the glaring institutional incongruities between UCF and its current members, just so it can plant a flag in the Europe of Ohio, you're higher than Tacko Fall standing on his tippy-toes at the summit of Mt. Everest.

[Image: white-glossy-mug-11oz-front-view-60e7395...1625766238]
07-29-2021 10:15 AM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
UCF and Houston don’t really offer anything to the Big Ten and don’t move the needle tv wise. I doubt the snobby schools in the B1G want to associate with a directional school (and no, Northwestern and USC don’t count as directional). Personally, I think UCF and Houston are doing great things but they don’t fit the Big Ten profile of big state flagship/land grant, research powerhouse.
07-29-2021 10:16 AM
PicksUp Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTEP, Texas
Trolling should be punished with a ban.
07-29-2021 10:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.