Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Guns
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
Guns
Looks like gun control is going to be a major issue for the Dems. Watching ABC this morning present on Biden’s gun policies.

The reporter talked with a black female police chief (sorry, didn’t catch the city) who reported that 97% of gun violence victims were POC. Nobody asked, and so it was not answered, how many of the trigger fingers belonged to POC? But I think a generic answer would be “a lot”. A disproportionate lot.

The measure proposed by Biden are the usual - more comprehensive background checks and an “assault weapons” ban. The former is more of the same, the latter attacking a tiny percentage of guns used in assaults.

No question that a comprehensive gun ban would reduce “gun” violence - just like the bazooka ban has reduced bazooka violence - but how much would it reduce overall violence? Changing the weapon does not change the person, or the situation. Instead of a mugger jamming a gun in my ribs, they will use a knife.

Instead of focusing on the weapon, they should be focusing on the reasons that violence happens. I think they should look at some of their own policies, such as no cash bail, no enforcement of certain crimes, defunding the police, reducing the tools available to police, ending limited immunity. They need to look at their own war on police.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2021 09:18 AM by OptimisticOwl.)
07-25-2021 09:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
RE: Guns
(07-25-2021 09:16 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  No question that a comprehensive gun ban would reduce “gun” violence

Actually, that's not necessarily true, no matter how intuitive it might seem.

Yes, there are places that have comprehensive gun bans and low rates of gun violence. But they had the low rates of gun violence before they had the gun bans, so not because of them.

Also, there are places that had high rates of gun violence, implemented comprehensive, almost draconian, gun bans, and still have high rates of gun violence.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2021 10:20 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
07-25-2021 10:18 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(07-25-2021 10:18 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(07-25-2021 09:16 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  No question that a comprehensive gun ban would reduce “gun” violence

Actually, that's not necessarily true, no matter how intuitive it might seem.

Yes, there are places that have comprehensive gun bans and low rates of gun violence. But they had the low rates of gun violence before they had the gun bans, so not because of them.

Also, there are places that had high rates of gun violence, implemented comprehensive, almost draconian, gun bans, and still have high rates of gun violence.

I did not say it well. My point was that even the extreme action of eliminating guns would not reduce violence - muggers still gonna mug, carjackers still gonna carjack. Only the tools of violence would change. It’s as if the old west sheriffs were trying to control cattle rustling by outlawing cattle.
07-25-2021 10:35 AM
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

That Chief did not say how many of the shootings of POC were by racist white cops out to murder POCs.

So what has changed In the last year?
07-25-2021 11:17 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

Some people like to go where the science takes them.

So I decided to check the crime stats of my county (>90K population, voted 77% for Trump).

I would estimate that 50-70% of the country has at least one gun.

Results? last year: 1 murder, 62 crimes of violence, including rape. No idea how many of the 62 - or the one murder - involved guns of any kind, much less "assault weapons".

I conclude that guns do not cause violence. If they did, we would have much more of it here.

They certainly can be used by those predisposed to it, but ...so can other weapons.
07-25-2021 01:54 PM
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

gunman beaten to death with bricks

Biden calls for more comprehensive background checks on people picking up bricks.

"Brick violence has to stop."
07-26-2021 01:48 PM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
(07-26-2021 01:48 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  gunman beaten to death with bricks

Biden calls for more comprehensive background checks on people picking up bricks.

Need to ban assault bricks in particular. The worst of the worst.
07-26-2021 02:41 PM
Advertisement

Ranger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SOF/Owl Basebal
(07-26-2021 02:41 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  

Don’t bring a gun to a brick fight.
07-26-2021 02:45 PM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

Someone obviously needs to actually read the article and learn about bricks - these were landscaping bricks. I mean, there's no such thing as assault bricks. Assault bricks are just a boogeyman for people against bricks in general.

(I hope the sarcasm was obvious above)
07-26-2021 04:28 PM
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(07-26-2021 04:28 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  

Someone obviously needs to actually read the article and learn about bricks - these were landscaping bricks. I mean, there's no such thing as assault bricks. Assault bricks are just a boogeyman for people against bricks in general.

(I hope the sarcasm was obvious above)

I don't care what kind of bricks they were - we need to keep them from hurting more people. I hate bricks. They have no use other than killing people.
07-26-2021 04:32 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
I have a right to my bricks and will start stockpiling them immediately. Come And Take Them!!
07-26-2021 08:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.