Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WV
7thHeaven Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UofL
WV
If the rumors are true and WV gets added to the ACC do we hold the 16th spot for ND or add another school and who if so?
07-25-2021 01:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
RE: WV
What real rumors have you heard?
07-25-2021 01:13 AM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
Why would we add WVU now? Is ESPN offering an additional $3 mil per school per year or something? They'd probably only add as much as they took out from the contract. They'll be available for a long time. No other conference is coming for WVU.
07-25-2021 02:04 AM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
West Virginia is not a solution to the problem the ACC now finds itself in.
07-25-2021 07:49 AM
Advertisement

nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
There are NO schools to add outside ND that help the ACC.

Stop repeating the mistakes that got the ACC here.
07-25-2021 08:03 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
The ACC won’t add anyone until they are forced to. Think where The Big 12 was until earlier this week. That’s where The ACC is now.

Our media partner won’t pay for the conference to expand and the teams won’t reduce their piece of the conference pie to welcome additional members. Sound familiar? I guess we can all be happy the ACC hasn’t ask for teams to apply for membership only to tell everyone thanks but no thanks.

With the coming demise of The Big 12, The ACC became dead conference walking. Aside from 3 or 4 programs, we are all waiting for the knife to fall.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2021 08:34 AM by CardinalJim.)
07-25-2021 08:32 AM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
West Virginia sits out there as a solid candidate for a 16th member if ND can be convinced to join and the conference feels it needs to maintain a divisional structure.
07-25-2021 09:01 AM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
If I were the commissioner and ESPN asks the ACC to do them a favor by taking in a Big XII team (WVU), of course I'm going to listen, and I'd be inclined to cooperate, BUT... ESPN has to agree to do something for me, too. Namely, I want my TV contract to reflect current market value for ALL games, not just the ones we'd be adding. This business of trying to slowly bring the average up to what other conferences are getting paid is for the birds...
07-25-2021 01:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(07-25-2021 08:32 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  The ACC won’t add anyone until they are forced to. Think where The Big 12 was until earlier this week. That’s where The ACC is now.

Our media partner won’t pay for the conference to expand and the teams won’t reduce their piece of the conference pie to welcome additional members. Sound familiar? I guess we can all be happy the ACC hasn’t ask for teams to apply for membership only to tell everyone thanks but no thanks.

With the coming demise of The Big 12, The ACC became dead conference walking. Aside from 3 or 4 programs, we are all waiting for the knife to fall.

Maybe. Maybe not. It still seems strange to me that ESPN would rather pay top dollar to get new content while it devalues and, eventually, destroys the content it already has locked up... doesn't sound like a very reasonable plan, IMO.

Not saying ESPN is going to swoop in and suddenly give the ACC more money like some fairy godmother... but the idea of ESPN wrapping up the ACC just to kill it? That doesn't make sense either.
07-25-2021 01:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
(07-25-2021 01:22 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(07-25-2021 08:32 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  The ACC won’t add anyone until they are forced to. Think where The Big 12 was until earlier this week. That’s where The ACC is now.

Maybe. Maybe not. It still seems strange to me that ESPN would rather pay top dollar to get new content while it devalues and, eventually, destroys the content it already has locked up... doesn't sound like a very reasonable plan, IMO.

Not saying ESPN is going to swoop in and suddenly give the ACC more money like some fairy godmother... but the idea of ESPN wrapping up the ACC just to kill it? That doesn't make sense either.

Exactly.

The ACC is lucky to be aligned with ESPN, the only entity out there right now playing for keeps. Just look what they did to Fox -- they swiped the two best college football properties in their portfolio, gutting a once proud conference. It's diabolical. ESPN is playing chess, everyone else is playing checkers.

Why would they purposely devalue the ACC, after they have spent millions of dollars propping the ACC up?

While we aren't in the cat bird's seat, we are certainly sitting prettier than half of college football.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2021 01:33 PM by Pervis_Griffith.)
07-25-2021 01:32 PM
Advertisement

Bear Catlett Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
WV has been willing to pi$$ on a spark plug for decades to get into the ACC and been rejected numerous times.

So why would the ACC take them now just because they don't have a home???
07-25-2021 05:08 PM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
(07-25-2021 05:08 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  WV has been willing to pi$$ on a spark plug for decades to get into the ACC and been rejected numerous times.

Because E$PN makes it worth it financially. The same reason we would invite Cincinnati, Kansas, or any other school. We aren't running a charity, and the façade of academic integrity is about to be washed away in a sea of money.
07-26-2021 09:18 AM
nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
(07-26-2021 09:18 AM)Shannon Panther Wrote:  
(07-25-2021 05:08 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  WV has been willing to pi$$ on a spark plug for decades to get into the ACC and been rejected numerous times.

Because E$PN makes it worth it financially. The same reason we would invite Cincinnati, Kansas, or any other school. We aren't running a charity, and the façade of academic integrity is about to be washed away in a sea of money.

ESPN won't pay the ACC for any of those schools....at least not enough to close the revenue gap.

ACC has messed this up in the past also. SEC adding big brands, ACC adding dead weight.
07-26-2021 09:30 AM
Advertisement

wildthing202 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ND & BC
WVU can join C-USA and be with Marshall for the first time in a while considering the might have burnt a bridge or two with the AAC.
07-26-2021 10:28 AM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
(07-26-2021 09:30 AM)nole Wrote:  
(07-26-2021 09:18 AM)Shannon Panther Wrote:  

ESPN won't pay the ACC for any of those schools....at least not enough to close the revenue gap.

ACC has messed this up in the past also. SEC adding big brands, ACC adding dead weight.

The big potential isn’t in how much they would be willing to pay for those schools. The potential is in voiding the GOR and giving Phillips leverage to work with. Idk if there is anything he can do but I’d obviously be trying like hell to figure something out.
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2021 01:30 PM by Ewglenn.)
07-26-2021 01:30 PM
Indytarheel Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNC
If you don't believe the Mouse is behind all of this, you really need to pay closer attention. Texas and OU were in secret talks for the past 6 months with the SEC and ESPN. 10Dec2020 SEC reaches a 3 billion dollar deal with ESPN. Do you not think Texas and OU weren't a part of those conversations.
07-26-2021 03:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.