Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The problem for the Big 12 leftovers
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
The problem for the Big 12 leftovers
WVU, K-State, and Iowa State are definitely in a real pickle:. They don't have really great academics, and they don't really offer an area to the B1G, PAC 12, and SEC would really covet. Who would take them or what schools out of the AAC could they take to allow them to remain a P5(4) conference??

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
07-24-2021 03:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BCSvsBS Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USF
RE: The problem for the Big 12 leftovers
(07-24-2021 03:53 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  WVU, K-State, and Iowa State are definitely in a real pickle:. They don't have really great academics, and they don't really offer an area to the B1G, PAC 12, and SEC would really covet. Who would take them or what schools out of the AAC could they take to allow them to remain a P5(4) conference??

ISU is AAU. Urm, that literally means that they have real good academics.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2021 04:04 PM by BCSvsBS.)
07-24-2021 04:02 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
(07-24-2021 03:53 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  WVU, K-State, and Iowa State are definitely in a real pickle:. They don't have really great academics, and they don't really offer an area to the B1G, PAC 12, and SEC would really covet. Who would take them or what schools out of the AAC could they take to allow them to remain a P5(4) conference??

They can't. They are stuck until the 2030s.

Best course of action is to focus on maintaining a high profile by winning a playoff spot annually and making big splashed in basketball. So pick the two schools that help football stay important and basketball a power. For me that narrows the list to Cincinnati, Houston and Memphis. BYU is not worth the hassle. Two is all they can add, to keep the CCG, not dilute the per school valuation and minimize the number of slices of the pie.They absolutely have to maximize the revenue and husband it.

The whole idea is to wait for the B1G to lure an ACC school or two, possibly triggering an SEC counter. That will open a few slots in the ACC which a few current B12 schools can fill. But they have to stay relevant for a decade to get that opportunity.

I don't see a better strategy. It's kind of like the chase group in the TdF, where a couple riders broke away. The group behind them has to work together to pull for many miles to not be absorbed by the peloton (G5), ten left in the dust by the GC contenders (power schools), so that at the end of the day they catch the break and one, two or three of them can get on the podium (be picked up by a power conference, such as the ACC as replacement) or even win (KU gets lucky and the B1G takes them as a complimentary school with some ACC program like North Carolina, Florida State or Virginia).

(Yes, I was a cyclist, raced in some UCF events in my youth, still follow it a bit in my old age)
07-24-2021 04:08 PM
thrill_house Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Anti-CFP
Why would the Big 12 want any school that currently resides in the American? What makes you think they won't remain a Power 5 conference?

The remaining schools averaged over 19,000 fans / game at their home gates than the average American team and their would be Champion has finished on average 10.85 in the final CFP rankings. Those rankings also included an annual drumming by Oklahoma which is now off every teams schedule. This will result in their records and rankings going even higher as the SEC beats each other up. You're going to start to see teams like West Virginia and Kansas go 11-1 like we did during the Big East / Big 12 North era of the BCS.

Oklahoma and Texas (but moreso Oklahoma who was 64-10 vs. the remaining 8 after WVU joined) leaving the Big 12 is the best thing to ever happen to these schools from a competitive standpoint. Now they all have legitimate aspirations for NY6 bowls as there's no traditional power left in the conference.
07-24-2021 04:09 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Buffalo, Rice and Tulane are AAU but nobody is inviting them anywhere.

Iowa State has rather low AI. Not enough students in Iowa to be the 2nd school and still fill seats with selective entrance criteria.
07-24-2021 04:10 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Im starting to think that perhaps a merger (or near merger all the bottom few teams) with the AAC might make some sense. Safety in numbers with a huge footprint in major cities (Dallas, Houston, Memphis, Philly, Tulsa, New Orleans, Tampa, Orlando, Wichita, Annapolis). This allows the Big12 teams to continue to hunt for P5 opportunities that may emerge down the road while providing security insurance to those that might not get a P5 offer down the road. Unite under the Big12 banner and make it clear the exit fees stay with the left behind schools---but the newbies pay no entry fees. Divide into two divisions and play ball.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2021 04:22 PM by Attackcoog.)
07-24-2021 04:19 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(07-24-2021 04:02 PM)BCSvsBS Wrote:  ISU is AAU. Urm, that literally means that they have real good academics.

Actually, that means they receive a large percentage of grant money to research in the applied sciences and are not likely to focus in the liberal arts.

Examples of US News Top 100 schools not in the AAU include Notre Dame, Georgetown, Wake Forest, Boston College, Georgia, Syracuse, Miami, Virginia Tech, TCU, SMU, and Baylor.

Brandeis is the only religiously affiliated school to be a member of the AAU.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2021 04:44 PM by DFW HOYA.)
07-24-2021 04:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BCSvsBS Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USF
(07-24-2021 04:38 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  
(07-24-2021 04:02 PM)BCSvsBS Wrote:  ISU is AAU. Urm, that literally means that they have real good academics.

Actually, that means they receive a large percentage of grant money to research in the applied sciences and are not likely to focus in the liberal arts.

Examples of US News Top 100 schools not in the AAU include Notre Dame, Georgetown, Wake Forest, Boston College, Georgia, Syracuse, Miami, Virginia Tech, TCU, SMU, and Baylor.

Brandeis is the only religiously affiliated school to be a member of the AAU.

I think you may want to check again. Here's the current AAU members list. AAU Members Most of the biggest brand names in college sports are on that list.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2021 04:48 PM by BCSvsBS.)
07-24-2021 04:46 PM
ThunderDent Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Herd & SBC!
SEC
———-
Texas
Oklahoma

ACC
——-
WVU
Cincinnati
X (Notre Dame)

B1G
——-
Kansas
X (Notre Dame) —Alternate- Iowa St/Syracuse

PAC
——-
X Oklahoma St
X Kansas St
X Iowa St
X Baylor

AAC
———
(East)
Army
Navy
Temple
East Carolina
Marshall
App State
Coastal Carolina
UCF
USF
** VCU

(Southwest)
Texas Tech
TCU
Houston
UAB
SMU
Memphis
Tulane
Southern Miss
Tulsa
** Wichita St

(West)
Air Force
Colorado St
New Mexico
BYU
Boise St
Fresno St
San Diego St
UNLV
Hawaii
** Gonzaga

(UCF is a big loser here because if the Big12 folds, the ACC and SEC have zero room for more Florida schools. Cinci and WVU could be big winners).

(PAC already said they’re interested in grabbing some schools. Baylor may have trouble though with religious affiliation. Hell, Rice may have a better shot with its academics!)

(American should use this opportunity to go big, and grab all of the name teams it can, form a national conference, have a **** ton of inventory for ESPN, and kill off competitors for the de facto 5th best league. Plus stealing some top tier (non-playoff) bowls from Big12 loss. Increase basketball at the same time.)
07-24-2021 04:51 PM
Advertisement

texoma Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Collegefootball
(07-24-2021 04:19 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Im starting to think that perhaps a merger (or near merger all the bottom few teams) with the AAC might make some sense. Safety in numbers with a huge footprint in major cities (Dallas, Houston, Memphis, Philly, Tulsa, New Orleans, Tampa, Orlando, Wichita, Annapolis). This allows the Big12 teams to continue to hunt for P5 opportunities that may emerge down the road while providing security insurance to those that might not get a P5 offer down the road. Unite under the Big12 banner and make it clear the exit fees stay with the left behind schools---but the newbies pay no entry fees. Divide into two divisions and play ball.

Attack the problem with that is the AAC has some really poor programs. The Big12 will just cherry pick the top programs in the AAC like Houston. Plus it will be important to keep the Big12 name
07-24-2021 05:06 PM
Crayton Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
(07-24-2021 04:19 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Im starting to think that perhaps a merger (or near merger all the bottom few teams) with the AAC might make some sense. Safety in numbers with a huge footprint in major cities (Dallas, Houston, Memphis, Philly, Tulsa, New Orleans, Tampa, Orlando, Wichita, Annapolis). This allows the Big12 teams to continue to hunt for P5 opportunities that may emerge down the road while providing security insurance to those that might not get a P5 offer down the road. Unite under the Big12 banner and make it clear the exit fees stay with the left behind schools---but the newbies pay no entry fees. Divide into two divisions and play ball.

I think NCAA rules are unkind to mergers. They may very well strike some kind of alliance, but maintaining two conferences allows them to double-dip in the NCAAT, among other things. Another thread suggested Pro/Rel...

With all the spitballing in here, I still think the two main options for the Big 12 are to add to 9 or 10 to get a “full” conference OR make a big push East with the top AAC brands over there (Cincy, UCF, & USF) to knock the AAC down a peg and make two geographic divisions.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2021 05:51 PM by Crayton.)
07-24-2021 05:50 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(07-24-2021 04:02 PM)BCSvsBS Wrote:  

LOL

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
07-24-2021 05:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Attackcoog Offline

(07-24-2021 05:06 PM)texoma Wrote:  

Attack the problem with that is the AAC has some really poor programs. The Big12 will just cherry pick the top programs in the AAC like Houston. Plus it will be important to keep the Big12 name

Yup. Thats why I also said (or a near merger with all but the bottom few programs). The reason is a school like Temple is located in the big market of Philly---and they often field pretty good teams. You might want Tulane since its in New Orleans and seem to be getting things turned around. ECU has sucked of late---but they have done well in the past and can fill a stadium. Either way---if there are just 3 or 4 B12 schools left---3+11=14. 4+11=15...so maybe you cut out one and bring in BYU and Boise for 16---if they want to do that. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2021 06:16 PM by Attackcoog.)
07-24-2021 06:15 PM
Advertisement

Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
(07-24-2021 04:02 PM)BCSvsBS Wrote:  

While true, their overall federal research dollars isn't that great. They may be next in line to be dropped, like Nebraska. In their favor, they do receive more money from the Department of Energy than Agriculture.

https://www.research.iastate.edu/news/io...in-fy2020/
07-24-2021 06:17 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(07-24-2021 05:50 PM)Crayton Wrote:  

I think NCAA rules are unkind to mergers. They may very well strike some kind of alliance, but maintaining two conferences allows them to double-dip in the NCAAT, among other things. Another thread suggested Pro/Rel...

With all the spitballing in here, I still think the two main options for the Big 12 are to add to 9 or 10 to get a “full” conference OR make a big push East with the top AAC brands over there (Cincy, UCF, & USF) to knock the AAC down a peg and make two geographic divisions.

Im not suggesting any double dipping. The teams would all reorganize under the autonomous Big12 banner. It would be the new Big12. The AAC would no longer exist. The tournament doesnt really matter. The AAC was already a multi-bid conference. The Big12 leftovers (assuming Baylor and Kansas are probably two of them) means the merged conference will be getting more than its share of NCAA bids. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2021 06:21 PM by Attackcoog.)
07-24-2021 06:19 PM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
(07-24-2021 04:08 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  (Yes, I was a cyclist, raced in some UCF events in my youth, still follow it a bit in my old age)

where were you this year? link: https://csnbbs.com/thread-924426.html
07-24-2021 06:31 PM
Realignment Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USC Trojans
I think the logical add for the Big 12 is Cincinnati and Houston. After that, the AAC adds Rice and that might be it for realignment. I do think the Big 12 needs to change their name eventually or try to scoop up BYU and Air Force on football-only adds which wouldn't be the death of the Big 12 or now that Oklahoma and Texas is gone, maybe the Big 12 adding Air Force, BYU, Cincinnati and Houston wouldn't be the worst move for the conference.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2021 07:00 PM by Realignment.)
07-24-2021 06:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.