Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What if the SEC isn’t through expanding?
Saint Bulldog Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Miss. State
What if the SEC isn’t through expanding?
Like everyone else, I have been reading all I can about Texas, Oklahoma and the SEC since Wednesday. We have seen threads and articles about the possible new SEC alignment, as well as new or renewed rivalries, what would happen to the B12, what would the B1G and ACC do, etc. This morning as I read the thought hit me, what if the SEC isn’t through expanding?
Just like they have been working behind the scenes with Texas & Oklahoma, could they also be working with other schools to get to 18 or even 20? Could they be working with UNC & UVA? Or UNC & Duke to strengthen basketball? Last year when it was thought that the B1G wouldn’t play because of COVID, OSU talked about wanting to play with the SEC for that season. What if those talks have continued behind the scenes? What if Sankey decides, let’s go ahead and finish this expansion by getting to 20, with the best 20 so that we have the best all around college sports conference; football, basketball and baseball?
Before you say that isn’t happening, did you think the SEC would be talking behind the scenes with Texas and Oklahoma before Wednesday?
07-24-2021 08:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OscarWildeCat Offline
1st String

I Root For: ACU & UGA
RE: What if the SEC isn’t through expanding?
There is at least one report saying the SEC has reached out to Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson and Florida State about forming a 20 team league.
07-24-2021 09:19 AM
Saint Bulldog Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Miss. State
(07-24-2021 09:19 AM)OscarWildeCat Wrote:  There is at least one report saying the SEC has reached out to Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson and Florida State about forming a 20 team league.

Yeah, saw that after I posted. Thank You
07-24-2021 09:22 AM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I don’t think it’s 100% out of the question that this is the first step in creating a single entity, 28-36 team organization.
07-24-2021 09:29 AM
Advertisement

Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
SEC I believe is stuck at 16 for the time being.

1. ACC Grant of Rights still out to another decade.
2. B1G can't be raided with the academic consortium.

The pod system would allow for some uneven expansion. The B1G could just take Kansas and not a 16th. PAC could likewise take 3 from Texas and stuff them into a pod.
07-24-2021 10:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
As JR has alluded to, I think one of the biggest remaining questions actually pertains to Vanderbilt and their fit in this future SEC configuration. I wonder if there might be some backdoor horse trading taking place behind the scenes, for Vanderbilt to find an alternative power conference home that is a better fit for their academically-focused needs and mission, while also opening up a #16 spot for a much more stronger fit moving forward.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2021 10:40 AM by GoldenWarrior11.)
07-24-2021 10:38 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The SEC could offer 8 ACC schools and have 3 divisions of 8.

SEC east: UVA, V Tech, UNC, Duke, NC State, Clemson, SCar, FSU
SEC central: UK, UT, Vandy, UGA, GTech, Alabama, Auburn, UF
SEC west: Ole Miss, Miss State, LSU, Texas A&M, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri

It would basically be 3 eight team leagues under one banner. The big 10 could do the same thing with 10 pac 12 schools. ND could form a good leftover conference.

BC, Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, Cincinnati, Louisville, ND, Miami

You could add few others who might be left out
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2021 11:19 AM by bluesox.)
07-24-2021 11:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.