Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How does ND feel about SEC expansion?
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
How does ND feel about SEC expansion?
I’d love for the ND fans to weigh in on the SEC expansion and what it means for the rest of CFB competitively and financially.

Does it change your sentiments at all about independence?
07-23-2021 08:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cubucks Offline
All American

I Root For: tOSU/UNL/Ohio
RE: How does ND feel about SEC expansion?
I don't think so? Notre Dame has absolutely zero to be concerned about as far they are probably thinking. I'd throw tOSU and a handful of others in that category as well.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2021 08:24 AM by cubucks.)
07-23-2021 08:23 AM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
I doubt Notre Dame cares about SEC expansion. Now if the ACC is shredded by, say, the Big Ten and the SEC ... then ND might be concerned. But if worse came to worse, Notre Dame could rejoin the Big East.
07-23-2021 08:26 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
I doubt it changes much, if anything, about their present or long-term goals for Notre Dame. ND will remain to have an optimal and very comfortable relationship between NBC and the ACC. It will continue to have a national and independent schedule in football, while associating with very strong academic/athletic peers among the likes of the ACC. Regardless of the SEC expansion, it will continue (either in the current 4-team model, or proposed future 12-team model) to carry access into the CFP and the opportunity to compete for national championships. As long as each of those boxes get checked, there is no need for ND to pursue other avenues.

If anything, I would guess that ND privately feels even more confident after this UT/OU move to the SEC, as Texas pretty much the only program that could have demanded, and likely received, sweetheart non-football arrangement with the conference of its choosing. With Texas moving over to the SEC as a full member, it leaves ND as the only school in the country that gets the special accommodations it can request (and be given), rightfully so.
07-23-2021 08:40 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(07-23-2021 08:17 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I’d love for the ND fans to weigh in on the SEC expansion and what it means for the rest of CFB competitively and financially.

Does it change your sentiments at all about independence?

I don't think ND sees this as much of an impact on it.

If anything, it would be viewed as a positive thing, as it would make them even more valuable to the B1G and/or ACC, put them in better bargaining position should the CFP change in a way that ND feels they need to join a conference.
07-23-2021 09:00 AM
Maize Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
Nothing is going to impact Notre Dame...they are self reliant.....07-coffee3
07-23-2021 09:12 AM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(07-23-2021 08:26 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  I doubt Notre Dame cares about SEC expansion. Now if the ACC is shredded by, say, the Big Ten and the SEC ... then ND might be concerned. But if worse came to worse, Notre Dame could rejoin the Big East.

If worse came to worse, Notre Dame could join any conference it wanted.
07-23-2021 09:16 AM
Advertisement

mvcfan76 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: MVC
As long as they have access to CFP as an independent nothing matters. The big east will never get raided as all members are in their ideal conference (except uconn) so nightmare scenario they can always park their sports their. This literally effects notre dame less than anyone.
07-23-2021 09:20 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Aside from making it more difficult to schedule Texas they probably don't care. Even if the ACC somehow was completely liquidated they still wouldn't care... they'd park their non-FB sports in the old Big East or similar and carry on. So long as the playoff goes to 12 ND will not join a conference.

Of course we could get into a runaway scenario of a P2 and then it would be kinda hilarious to watch ND be forced into the B1G sized shoe it tried so hard to avoid for so long.
07-23-2021 09:44 AM
jgkojak Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kansas
The only ACC schools I could see being of interest to the SEC, and they won't be if OU and TEX join, would be FSU and NCST - NC ST would be quite the coup, open up new markets, is geographically sound. FSU you'd think Florida would block, but maybe not.
07-23-2021 09:48 AM
Advertisement

orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
I believe that the SEC would be done with expansion indefinitely if Texas and Oklahoma were added. 16 is already pushing the reasonable size limit for a conference.

That said, the B1G may look to respond. My belief is that they would really love to add UNC and UVA as a pair. The SEC has no presence in VA and NC, so the B1G would become the leading conference in these states.

The alternative play for UNC and UVA would be to have the ACC boost its value, presumably by adding ND and another school. The question is, could such a threat be significant enough to force ND to rethink?
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2021 10:09 AM by orangefan.)
07-23-2021 10:08 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

(07-23-2021 09:48 AM)jgkojak Wrote:  The only ACC schools I could see being of interest to the SEC, and they won't be if OU and TEX join, would be FSU and NCST - NC ST would be quite the coup, open up new markets, is geographically sound. FSU you'd think Florida would block, but maybe not.

I don't think NC State would be of any value at all to the SEC.

IMO, if the SEC lands TX and OU, they are done with expansion. Sixteen is the max I see any conference growing towards.
07-23-2021 02:12 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

(07-23-2021 10:08 AM)orangefan Wrote:  I believe that the SEC would be done with expansion indefinitely if Texas and Oklahoma were added. 16 is already pushing the reasonable size limit for a conference.

That said, the B1G may look to respond. My belief is that they would really love to add UNC and UVA as a pair. The SEC has no presence in VA and NC, so the B1G would become the leading conference in these states.

The alternative play for UNC and UVA would be to have the ACC boost its value, presumably by adding ND and another school. The question is, could such a threat be significant enough to force ND to rethink?

I agree on all counts - SEC would be done with expansion, sixteen is the max conference size, the B1G would love to land UVA and UNC, and the ACC would be desperate to draw in Notre Dame and someone else to boost itself.
07-23-2021 02:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.