Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

P5? Or Eventually Headed to P2?
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
P5? Or Eventually Headed to P2?
In ESPN/CFP's view, the Big 12 is expendable when all is said and done.

Outside USC and Oregon (read=Nike), so too is the Pac-12.

ACC? Maybe. Does the playoff really grind to a halt if Virginia or Boston College isn't in the mix?

It may be 5-10 years out, but where this is headed could well be a pair of semi-pro leagues that merely license the school's IP:

The Big Ten (add USC, Oregon, Notre Dame, and North Carolina)
and
The SEC (with Texas, Oklahoma, Clemson and FSU).

Everyone else is on their own.
07-22-2021 03:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UCbball21 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: P5? Or Eventually Headed to P2?
Too much history between programs for a P2, maybe in another 50 years or so. P4 could be likely though depending on what happens to the Big 12. I just don't think the B1G and PAC-12 will finish off the Big 12. Like do we really think that OSU, Michigan, and Penn St. are dying to add Kansas? Do we really think the Cali schools and Oregon are dying to add Oklahoma St?

The most likely scenario IMO is Texas/Oklahoma leave for the SEC and the Big 12 backfills with 2-4 teams.
07-22-2021 04:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

TV doesn't care about Stanford and Cal or North Carolina and Duke. It's about ratings.
07-22-2021 04:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
SEC goes to 32 teams, announces a Netflix deal and break off from the FBS.
07-22-2021 05:02 PM
whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn
(07-22-2021 03:58 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  In ESPN/CFP's view, the Big 12 is expendable when all is said and done.

Outside USC and Oregon (read=Nike), so too is the Pac-12.

ACC? Maybe. Does the playoff really grind to a halt if Virginia or Boston College isn't in the mix?

It may be 5-10 years out, but where this is headed could well be a pair of semi-pro leagues that merely license the school's IP:

The Big Ten (add USC, Oregon, Notre Dame, and North Carolina)
and
The SEC (with Texas, Oklahoma, Clemson and FSU).

Everyone else is on their own.

Except the P2 will get of the deadweight (Vandy, Rutgers, maybe Maryland, ) to add additional power teams (UVA in the B1G and VaTech and WVU in the SEC)
07-22-2021 05:43 PM
Advertisement

DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

(07-22-2021 05:43 PM)whittx Wrote:  Except the P2 will get of the deadweight (Vandy, Rutgers, maybe Maryland, ) to add additional power teams (UVA in the B1G and VaTech and WVU in the SEC)

This is the piece of the puzzle no one likes to talk about. If you can vote in a member, you can vote out members, too. Fraternity aside, how much is the seat taken up by Vanderbilt (or for that matter, Kentucky) worth?
07-22-2021 09:40 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
We're well on our way to the P2, the SP(Semi-Power)2, and the NLP(NoLongerPower)1.
07-22-2021 09:59 PM
Advertisement

World Wide Swag Offline
Banned

I Root For: $MU and Vols
In the long run it will really hurt college football if you cut off all but 30 or so of the biggest programs. I hate soccer but the European Superleague blow up from earlier this year might serve as a cautionary tale
07-22-2021 10:03 PM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
(07-22-2021 09:40 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  
(07-22-2021 05:43 PM)whittx Wrote:  Except the P2 will get of the deadweight (Vandy, Rutgers, maybe Maryland, ) to add additional power teams (UVA in the B1G and VaTech and WVU in the SEC)

This is the piece of the puzzle no one likes to talk about. If you can vote in a member, you can vote out members, too. Fraternity aside, how much is the seat taken up by Vanderbilt (or for that matter, Kentucky) worth?

Vanderbilt has the 20th largest endowment, they could dominate if they wanted to it's just not in their mission. Academics are too strict compared to plebes like Oklahoma, etc. You guys have to stop.
07-22-2021 10:07 PM
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
P2 was a great scenario for the Big Ten but it was predicated upon getting 2 of: Texas, Oklahoma, and ND in order to maintain parity with the SEC.

Sankey outwitted Warren (not a very hard thing to do, he’s an idiot) and now I don’t think there are enough pieces on the chess board to build a Big Ten that can compete pound for pound with the SEC. The move that appears on the verge of being consummated between Texas/Oklahoma and the SEC was the the dooms day scenario for the rest of college football. If this goes through, the ACC, Pac 12, and eventually Big Ten will all become increasingly irrelevant as they can’t compete financially with the southern juggernaut.

Congratulations ESPN—you just ensured that college football will become a regional, not a national, sport.
07-23-2021 08:06 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
I think we are definitely trending towards a P2. Texas and Oklahoma are likely just the first moves that could see historic realignment, which will have been driven by not just TV revenue, but NIL and brand associations as well. I can definitely see a future where the B1G, eventually, assimilates the PAC AAU programs in Arizona, California, Colorado, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Utah and Washington. They can easily add Kansas as well to further a bridge to the West. Then, as the ACC GOR gets closer to completion (or if the B1G just wanted to buy them out, which will be easier to do in just a few seasons), they could look to also add Duke, North Carolina, Virginia and, under an arrangement like this, Notre Dame. That gets you to a 28-team national conference. What would the SEC look like? Well, they can add Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, NC State and Virginia Tech to get up to 21-teams. They could also add just a few more in the form of Oklahoma State, West Virginia and Texas Tech getting them up-to 24-teams.

Stronger brands. National viewership. More content. Less dead-weight. Many historical and regional rivalries restored and consolidated. Top authority over governance of college athletics.
07-23-2021 09:04 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
If you cut out 60% of the country, how can they expect anyone to care? The CFP is expanding because folks are tired of an Alabama vs Clemson final every season. Dressing a pig up in a different dress don’t change the fact it’s still a pig.

ESPN is already having problems with folks cutting the cord. Cut out 60% of the audience and see what happens
07-23-2021 09:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.