D) Keeping the MW intact
E) none of the above
[Show Results]

Craig Thompson’s Alliance Wheels are Turning
Crayton Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
Craig Thompson’s Alliance Wheels are Turning
Always looking for more Eastern exposure, and ‘almost‘ starting alliances during the last round of realignment with CUSA, the Big East, and the American... what will he try this time around?
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2021 11:41 AM by Crayton.)
07-22-2021 08:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
RE: Craig Thompson’s Alliance Wheels are Turning
(07-22-2021 08:05 AM)Crayton Wrote:  Always looking for more Eastern exposure, and ‘almost‘ starting alliances during the last round of realignment with CUSA, the Big East, and the American... what will he try this time around?

Seems a possibility. I don't foresee the OU and UT to the SEC as the only move. In fact, we may be facing a major wave of realignment. If so, an alliance (say a merger of what remains of the AAC and MWC after the big boys do their thing) is possible.
07-22-2021 08:11 AM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Its hard to say if the PAC/B1G or ACC will feel compelled to pick off more pieces of the XII.

MWC realistically could be looking at SMU and/or Wichita from the AAC.

I doubt a combo conference is in order like was proposed with the MWC-CUSA merger at one point.
07-22-2021 08:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
If I’m Thompson, I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

The AAC has 11 members. At most, they lose 4 members, but probably more like 1-2. That’s still enough to stand alone.

Maybe, if the AAC lost 4 members, they’d entertain some 20 member alliance with the MWC but I think it’s doubtful.
07-22-2021 09:18 AM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
If I’m Craig Thompson, I wait to see what happens with Oklahoma and Texas. If they go, see who the XII takes as backfill which seem to include options from AAC, MWC, and BYU. I suspect the XII goes to 14 by adding BYU, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, and South Florida. That leaves the AAC with: East Carolina, SMU, Temple, Tulane, and Tulsa plus Navy (football) and Wichita St (non-football). The MWC should look to adding Rice, SMU, Tulane, and Tulsa plus Wichita St (non-football). CUSA backfills or stays at 13. Navy returns to independence in football (Patriot). East Carolina and Temple go independent in football and join the A10 for non-football sports.

XIV
East: Central Florida, Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, TCU, West Virginia
West: BYU, Baylor, Iowa St, Kansas, Kansas St, Oklahoma St, Texas Tech

MWC
East: Air Force, Colorado St, New Mexico, Rice, SMU, Tulane, Tulsa, Wyoming
West: Boise St, Fresno St, Hawaii*, Nevada, San Diego St, San Jose St, UNLV, Utah St
* Football-Only
** Non-Football: Wichita St
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2021 10:51 AM by BePcr07.)
07-22-2021 10:50 AM
Advertisement

MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(07-22-2021 09:18 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  If I’m Thompson, I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

The AAC has 11 members. At most, they lose 4 members, but probably more like 1-2. That’s still enough to stand alone.

Maybe, if the AAC lost 4 members, they’d entertain some 20 member alliance with the MWC but I think it’s doubtful.

But it's who the AAC loses that matters. Losing Houston is a big hit. Losing Cincy on top of that really hurts. Losing UCF as well would cause tremendous pain IMHO. The conference would survive but the media deal and perception would both take a huge hit.
07-22-2021 11:13 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(07-22-2021 11:13 AM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  
(07-22-2021 09:18 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  If I’m Thompson, I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

But it's who the AAC loses that matters. Losing Houston is a big hit. Losing Cincy on top of that really hurts. Losing UCF as well would cause tremendous pain IMHO. The conference would survive but the media deal and perception would both take a huge hit.

Right. Look at the AAC itself.

How did the AAC separate itself from CUSA? By taking away several members of CUSA including the strongest ones.

How can a new Big 12 separate itself from the AAC? By taking away the strongest members of the AAC. They won't take just one.
07-22-2021 01:50 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(07-22-2021 01:50 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

How did the AAC separate itself from CUSA? By taking away several members of CUSA including the strongest ones.

How can a new Big 12 separate itself from the AAC? By taking away the strongest members of the AAC. They won't take just one.

Yup. Its possible they may also want to maintain as high a profile as possible and elect to do so by increasing the size and footprint of the conference. They could add Boise, BYU, Houston, Cinci, Memphis, and UCF. That pretty much takes the biggest indy (other than ND) and everyone who has played on NYD access bowl of late.
07-22-2021 01:58 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(07-22-2021 01:50 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

And they are probably better off concentrating on the AAC raid vs. slipping in BYU and especially Colorado State as they never win.
07-22-2021 01:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.