UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Let's go to the Big 12!
Plaid Blazer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UAB
Let's go to the Big 12!
The door is now open.

The Houston Chronicle reporting that Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC may be announced in a few weeks.
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2021 03:10 PM by Plaid Blazer.)
07-21-2021 03:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: Let's go to the Big 12!
If that happens there wont be a big 12. There would be re-alignment amongst the Big 10, ACC, and PAC-10 to try and add value if possible. Whatever happens after that with the teams not in those conferences will amount to re-arranging deck chairs on a sinking ship.

The important thing to consider in this is that whatever power the NCAA had over college football is gone and the power conferences are the ones with all the power now.
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2021 03:52 PM by BlazerMatt.)
07-21-2021 03:50 PM
BlazinBham Offline
Banned

Yeah, this is where the power 4-5 break off from the rest of us. We go back to FCS.

Anyhow, we should be breaking down doors at those P5 HQ’s, trying to get out of this league to make sure that doesn’t happen.

Otherwise, this stadium and momentum we have was all for nothing.

I truly do believe the big 12 dies if those two leave. What are those other 8 schools gonna do?
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2021 04:02 PM by BlazinBham.)
07-21-2021 04:00 PM
Plaid Blazer Offline
Bench Warmer

Where do we want to end up in this? In my eyes CUSA was a decent try at let's put together mid major schools from decent tv markets and get some tv money, yet that idea has fiscally failed.

We've done the work lately to get a look at an upgrade from CUSA but realistically what do we want and how does that line up with what can we get.

One thing I definitely would like in any conference change is to get very good basketball mates and some of the mid-majors do offer this.
07-21-2021 04:06 PM
UABOG85 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: U.a.B
I wonder if any of the B12 or ACC or any league would want a foot hold in BHam….you know putting their branding all over a new stadium that sits right outside the front office of the SEC. Would UAB be a project for those leagues compared to others they could add....sure but the TV market and being able to give the SEC the middle finger all year long has to be worth some points to them. Then again maybe not who knows
07-21-2021 04:39 PM
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Once their are four “super leagues” they will have their own basketball tournament as well as soon as the current contracts are up.
07-21-2021 04:39 PM
Advertisement

UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
If UT and OU leave, the Big 12 is on life support. Prediction: Iowa State and Kansas to the Big Ten. The remainder of the Big XII poaches Cincinnati, Memphis, SMU, Houston, USF and UCF from the American. Then we finally get that AAC invite.
07-21-2021 05:36 PM
DuelingDragon Online
All American

You may see the Big 12/Pac 12 start talking merger or scheduling alliance if there is major movement.
07-21-2021 05:41 PM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

(07-21-2021 03:50 PM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  If that happens there wont be a big 12. There would be re-alignment amongst the Big 10, ACC, and PAC-10 to try and add value if possible. Whatever happens after that with the teams not in those conferences will amount to re-arranging deck chairs on a sinking ship.

The important thing to consider in this is that whatever power the NCAA had over college football is gone and the power conferences are the ones with all the power now.

Yeah, I'm afraid if Texas and OU go to the SEC that will start a doomsday cascade across college athletics. P5 becomes P4 with some current Big12 teams on the outside looking in as the new P4 officially splits from the rest of us and forms their own division and championship. All the rest of us then officially relegated to a separate tier.

P4 division with its own championship
G5 +Big12 leftover - separate division & championship
FCS - separate division and championship

03-puke03-puke
07-21-2021 05:56 PM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

Maybe Sankey and others only backed an expanded CFP with G5 access because it ultimately won't matter when the CFP as we know it is terminated by a P4 split that sets up their own championship. 05-stirthepot
07-21-2021 05:58 PM
biglizard Online
All American

I Root For:
The governor of Texas may nix the whole thing. It would instantly devalue every other program in the state. Texas politics is very much tied to school identity.

It takes 3/4 of the SEC members to say yes. TAMU and Missouri are already a hard no. Georgia and Florida would probably be a no because adding those two teams would force Alabama and Auburn into the east.

If they pursue this the G5 schools have nothing else to lose. If they want to remain even remotely relevant they would be forced to sue
07-21-2021 06:34 PM
Advertisement

HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
If true this is potentially bad news for UAB.
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2021 07:31 PM by HiddenDragon.)
07-21-2021 07:30 PM
BlazinBham Offline
Banned

I don’t think many would disagree with you. As said above, the top tier of the AAC that we long to play again, would get raided. I don’t care to play ECU, Temple, USF, SMU, Tulane, or Tulsa anymore than who were are already aligned with. None of those schools excite me more than playing La Tech, USM, WKU, and Marshall.
07-21-2021 08:02 PM
ICB Offline
Heisman

(07-21-2021 07:30 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  If true this is potentially bad news for UAB.

I am not sure how it's bad news. The AAC has been in no rush to expand, this will create some movement. UAB is in the best position it has ever been in to take advantage of movement. If not now when?

Best Case | Big 12 Takes two from AAC/MW - AAC/MW Backfills from CUSA/SBELT/MAC

WORST CASE | B12 Dissolves... We are left with the teams we are already associated with.
07-21-2021 08:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MAN4UAB Online
All American

(07-21-2021 08:02 PM)BlazinBham Wrote:  I don’t think many would disagree with you. As said above, the top tier of the AAC that we long to play again, would get raided. I don’t care to play ECU, Temple, USF, SMU, Tulane, or Tulsa anymore than who were are already aligned with. None of those schools excite me more than playing La Tech, USM, WKU, and Marshall.

I agree.
07-21-2021 08:14 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(07-21-2021 08:04 PM)ICB Wrote:  
(07-21-2021 07:30 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  If true this is potentially bad news for UAB.

I am not sure how it's bad news. The AAC has been in no rush to expand, this will create some movement. UAB is in the best position it has ever been in to take advantage of movement. If not now when?

WORST CASE | B12 Dissolves... We are left with the teams we are already associated with.

Like I have said before, I never thought UAB would get into the AAC in its current configuration. I don't know about you but I would rather be in a conference with Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, Navy, and SMU than with those other members. That's not gonna happen if OU and Texas goes to the SEC.

The Big 12 is gonna get poached by the B1G and PAC 12 and whoever remains with the Big 12 will get some AAC teams to join to form the best of the rest. Could UAB be part of new Big 12? Maybe. But the AAC without the schools I mentioned above is an AAC not worth the hassle and money involved in going to that conference.
07-21-2021 08:25 PM
Advertisement

C-Finder Offline
All American

Texas is actin'up! 03-lmfao
07-21-2021 08:35 PM
ICB Offline
Heisman

(07-21-2021 08:25 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  

Like I have said before, I never thought UAB would get into the AAC in its current configuration. I don't know about you but I would rather be in a conference with Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, Navy, and SMU than with those other members. That's not gonna happen if OU and Texas goes to the SEC.

The Big 12 is gonna get poached by the B1G and PAC 12 and whoever remains with the Big 12 will get some AAC teams to join to form the best of the rest. Could UAB be part of new Big 12? Maybe. But the AAC without the schools I mentioned above is an AAC not worth the hassle and money involved in going to that conference.

I Agree, if the schools you named leave, its not worth it.
07-21-2021 08:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(07-21-2021 08:47 PM)ICB Wrote:  

I'll even throw out the scenario that if the AAC gets the remaining Big 12 schools to join them where does that leave UAB? There are going to be at least 5 Big 12 teams needing a new conference and 5 teams put the AAC at 16.

Again, I just don't think this is going to work out favorably for UAB but I hope I am wrong.
07-21-2021 08:53 PM
ICB Offline
Heisman

(07-21-2021 08:53 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  
(07-21-2021 08:47 PM)ICB Wrote:  

I'll even throw out the scenario that if the AAC gets the remaining Big 12 schools to join them where does that leave UAB? There are going to be at least 5 Big 12 teams needing a new conference and 5 teams put the AAC at 16.

Again, I just don't think this is going to work out favorably for UAB but I hope I am wrong.
The reason I think it's a good thing is because worse case scenario is that we remain the same. Unless we have the airport meeting.
07-22-2021 09:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.