Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

P5 looking to Create New Model/More Autonomy
Bookmark and Share
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
P5 looking to Create New Model/More Autonomy
https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2021/07/...ssion=true

Very ominous article in Sports Illustrated. The NCAA is toast, the P5 is looking for a new structure and more autonomy.

07-19-2021 09:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
RE: P5 looking to Create New Model/More Autonomy
If they exclude us again we may as well drop all sports.

07-19-2021 09:49 AM
Bearcat 1985 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati
Too many people were so certain that the NCAA was keeping us down. The reality is that they were attempting to mandate as level a playing field as they could. Now, with Kavanaugh's opinion that college sports should be a completely unregulated, survival of the fittest (read: richest) endeavor, I fear for where things are headed. I think UC will survive, but it's going to be a vastly different world.

07-19-2021 10:28 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

It's going to be different, but we won't be completely shut out.

The P5 wants to play teams like us: This year, Alabama plays Southern Miss, New Mexico State, and Mercer. Ohio State plays Tulsa and Akron. Clemson plays SC State and UConn. Texas plays Rice and Louisiana. Florida plays FAU, USF, and Samford.

All they want is more control over the rules.

Worst case scenario for UC is that the P5 is still allowed to play us, but we can't compete for a national title, share any revenue from the playoffs, or have a vote in the rules for top-level football & basketball. That's not good for our basketball... but for football, that's not much different from the status quo.

07-19-2021 11:12 AM
Advertisement

bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Interesting article. The Supreme Court ruling has encouraged commissioners and other university officials to speak up. Frankly, most of the current governance and bureaucracy was created via direction from the P5. Glacier like decision-making and unequal enforcement of rules are hallmarks of a system the P5 signed off on.

Sankey and his buddies are doing an about face to make sure they are not cancelled out.

I see this as nothing more than the P5 wanting complete control of the rulemaking and enforcement. Which means those deemed lesser will be included, but have to face any harsh repercussions. In essence, nothing will change, except the ruling authority. The P5 needs to schedule lesser conferences for football and bball, but more importantly olympic sports.

Might be a good time to blow it all up. Go regional and disband all the conferences. If you want to join the new system, there should be minimums to meet, i.e. resources, attendance and facilities.

07-19-2021 11:58 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(07-19-2021 11:58 AM)bearcatmill Wrote:  Interesting article. The Supreme Court ruling has encouraged commissioners and other university officials to speak up. Frankly, most of the current governance and bureaucracy was created via direction from the P5. Glacier like decision-making and unequal enforcement of rules are hallmarks of a system the P5 signed off on.

Sankey and his buddies are doing an about face to make sure they are not cancelled out.

I see this as nothing more than the P5 wanting complete control of the rulemaking and enforcement. Which means those deemed lesser will be included, but have to face any harsh repercussions. In essence, nothing will change, except the ruling authority. The P5 needs to schedule lesser conferences for football and bball, but more importantly olympic sports.

Might be a good time to blow it all up. Go regional and disband all the conferences. If you want to join the new system, there should be minimums to meet, i.e. resources, attendance and facilities.

Over the years, the favorite of many was a breakoff of division 1 of a 64-team Super Conference, with the rest of FBS football going to FCS or a 1AA type division.

I think we will see a split in the 350 teams in division 1, but I see the P5 grabbing most of what is now the FBS for football +the BE with them. The schools down the pecking order like Alabama State, UTRGV, Western Illinois, Tennessee Tech, etc are in trouble. They aren't going to be "axed", they just won't be able to afford to keep up with the Jones' of having so many Olympic programs and funding full scholarships for everyone.

07-19-2021 12:23 PM
bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Good point Clifton. I was also thinking Southwest Athletic Conference, Ohio Valley, Horizon, Sun Belt, ect will go down a division. MAC seems aligned with the B10, primarily for scheduling fill-ins.

How COVID was handled opened my eyes. The B10, Pac12, and MAC seemed together. SEC led the other side. Eventually, a P5 created governing body may see a good deal of infighting. What is good for the SEC or ACC is not necessarily what the B10 or Pac12 will want.

07-19-2021 12:31 PM
Advertisement

BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

(07-19-2021 12:31 PM)bearcatmill Wrote:  Good point Clifton. I was also thinking Southwest Athletic Conference, Ohio Valley, Horizon, Sun Belt, ect will go down a division. MAC seems aligned with the B10, primarily for scheduling fill-ins.

How COVID was handled opened my eyes. The B10, Pac12, and MAC seemed together. SEC led the other side. Eventually, a P5 created governing body may see a good deal of infighting. What is good for the SEC or ACC is not necessarily what the B10 or Pac12 will want.

The MAC will need the College Sports version of Welfare checks if they want to keep involved in the arms race...only two schools in the conference (Ohio University and SUNY-Buffalo) aren't in either the early stages or disaster stage of financial hardship.

07-19-2021 12:39 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(07-19-2021 09:01 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2021/07/...ssion=true

Very ominous article in Sports Illustrated. The NCAA is toast, the P5 is looking for a new structure and more autonomy.

I’ve been saying this was the plan all along.

There is going to be a third division soon...D1 Major, D1, and FCS when it’s all said and done.

07-19-2021 01:32 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(07-19-2021 12:39 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(07-19-2021 12:31 PM)bearcatmill Wrote:  Good point Clifton. I was also thinking Southwest Athletic Conference, Ohio Valley, Horizon, Sun Belt, ect will go down a division. MAC seems aligned with the B10, primarily for scheduling fill-ins.

The MAC will need the College Sports version of Welfare checks if they want to keep involved in the arms race...only two schools in the conference (Ohio University and SUNY-Buffalo) aren't in either the early stages or disaster stage of financial hardship.

The MAC should just rip the bandage off and go the route Dayton took many moons ago.

07-19-2021 01:34 PM
Advertisement

doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
(07-19-2021 01:34 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
(07-19-2021 12:39 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

The MAC should just rip the bandage off and go the route Dayton took many moons ago.

Or go all the way like WSU Shockers, Eggsaver, Marquette, etc. and drop FB!

07-19-2021 02:18 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

A lot of it is cultural differences.

The MAC is aligned with the Big Ten because the admins think alike. Most of the original Big Ten + MAC + UC all have the same priorities because we value the same things.

07-19-2021 02:49 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(07-19-2021 12:23 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(07-19-2021 11:58 AM)bearcatmill Wrote:  Interesting article. The Supreme Court ruling has encouraged commissioners and other university officials to speak up. Frankly, most of the current governance and bureaucracy was created via direction from the P5. Glacier like decision-making and unequal enforcement of rules are hallmarks of a system the P5 signed off on.

Over the years, the favorite of many was a breakoff of division 1 of a 64-team Super Conference, with the rest of FBS football going to FCS or a 1AA type division.

I think we will see a split in the 350 teams in division 1, but I see the P5 grabbing most of what is now the FBS for football +the BE with them. The schools down the pecking order like Alabama State, UTRGV, Western Illinois, Tennessee Tech, etc are in trouble. They aren't going to be "axed", they just won't be able to afford to keep up with the Jones' of having so many Olympic programs and funding full scholarships for everyone.

Agreed. But I suspect we may agree that, financially, the bar will just become too high for low majors in FBS to compete.

While I don't rule out some slight expansion of the existing P5 conferences, there are just too many moving parts right now with the CFP, NIL impact, and looming potential devaluation of TV deals in the next round (as cable TV subscriptions decline) to predict the future size and alignment of the P5 conferences.

We're very fortunate at this time to have a strong hand to play as the highest profile G5 approaching what could be a critical tipping point in D1 sports.

07-20-2021 09:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.