Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tennessee State Freshman Hercy Miller, signs $2M endorsement deal after NIL change
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
Tennessee State Freshman Hercy Miller, signs $2M endorsement deal after NIL change
From the Article:

Hercy Miller is a 19-year-old millionaire.

The teenage son of rapper Master P signed a $2 million deal with Web Apps America before setting foot on a college campus, according to his father.

With the new Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) laws in effect starting July 1, the Minnehaha Academy guard from Minneapolis, Minnesota will arrive at Tennessee State University with one of the largest brand deals in college sports.

Miller was ranked as the fifth best player from Minnesota by ESPN's Top 100, and held offers from USC, UCLA and Howard before deciding on Tennessee State.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc...843338002/
07-02-2021 04:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CarlSmithCenter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ball So Hard U
RE: Tennessee St Freshman Hercy Miller, signs $2M endorsement deal after NIL change
Is there No Limit to this NIL money?
[Image: 93a12b696a41adc6e19fe69bd7958206.jpg]
07-02-2021 04:20 PM
bill dazzle Online
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
RE: Tennessee State Freshman Hercy Miller, signs $2M endorsement deal after NIL change
TSU now home to Hercy Miller and Eddie George (and many former NFL assistant coaches).

The hope is that men's hoops coach Brian "Penny" Collins has a break-out season with the Tigers.

And now TSU is exploring offering a DI hockey program.

Lots of momentum with TSU athletics.
07-02-2021 04:48 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Tennessee State Freshman Hercy Miller, signs $2M endorsement deal after NIL change
The bar has been set and it going to be interesting going forward in this new era...
07-02-2021 05:01 PM
JHS55 Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
WOW, dang, this is gonna get crazy wild folks
07-02-2021 05:41 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
Don't know if that company is going to be in business long enough for Miller to make that money.

Look at what you see when you look at their web site to see what work they've done:

https://www.webappsamerica.com/work-1
07-02-2021 05:43 PM
Advertisement

Todor Online
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
Is that even a real company? Online presence is miniscule. Can't find what they have done, companies they work with, portfolio of work etc. Can't see who owns it.

I believe I'll wait and see what a real company that has a real promotional budget pays for other (non children of celebrities) athletes before I view this as setting any kind standard..
07-02-2021 06:53 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(07-02-2021 05:43 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Don't know if that company is going to be in business long enough for Miller to make that money.

Look at what you see when you look at their web site to see what work they've done:

It appears to me that this company doesn't employ educated people. Do they actually do anything, or do they just have a website? Do they have customers? If I were this kid I wouldn't commit to spending any of that money just yet.
07-02-2021 07:15 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(07-02-2021 04:02 PM)Maize Wrote:  From the Article:

Master P hasn't had a hit since the Clinton Administration. So not sure what the NIL value here will be, LOL.
07-02-2021 07:18 PM
balanced_view Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
(07-02-2021 07:15 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(07-02-2021 05:43 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Don't know if that company is going to be in business long enough for Miller to make that money.

It appears to me that this company doesn't employ educated people. Do they actually do anything, or do they just have a website? Do they have customers? If I were this kid I wouldn't commit to spending any of that money just yet.

he dont have to worry about spending too much money, with or without this deal.
07-02-2021 07:21 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

We will see how it plays out...but for myself I am glad the farce known as the Amateur Model used under the “Student-Athlete” is over. So glad the athletes can now make money...04-cheers
07-02-2021 07:53 PM
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
The NCAA is getting introduced to AAU lifestyle. Flimflam con artists will spring up everywhere.
07-03-2021 01:09 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Schools are moving quickly on this. LSU has already come up with the "NILSU" tag line to market NIL opportunities to recruits:

https://lsusports.net/news/2021/07/01/ni...real-deal/
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2021 02:58 PM by quo vadis.)
07-03-2021 01:31 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
(07-03-2021 01:31 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Schools are moving quickly on this. LSU has already come up with the "NILSU" tag line to market NIL opportunities to recruits:

more importantly they are trying to ensure the athletic department gets a cut of the NIL money. What they fear is completely uncontrolled flow and the department has to operate on many $millions fewer. Each department contract they can lock players in reduces the opportunities to sign with competitors (e.g., school signs with Nike, so the athlete cannot sign with Adidas, and thus the school controls how much the player gets).
07-03-2021 02:24 PM
Alanda Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Tennessee State Freshman Hercy Miller signs $2M endorsement deal after NIL change
This kinda sounds like a made up company someone is using to pay him that amount. 03-lol

(07-03-2021 01:31 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Schools are moving quickly on this. LSU has already come up with the "NILSU" tag line to market NIL opportunities to recruits:

Memphis' tag is MaximUM.
07-03-2021 04:07 PM
BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
So this company is giving this kid 2million, and this would be the case if his dad wasn’t a famous rapper? No way in hell this kid gets 2million if his dad was some average Joe. What creed does this kid provide a company who obviously believes he is worth millions? Who is this company, and what is their product they are wanting pushed via this kids NIL?
07-04-2021 09:01 AM
Advertisement

AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
(07-04-2021 09:01 AM)BigOwensboroCard Wrote:  So this company is giving this kid 2million, and this would be the case if his dad wasn’t a famous rapper? No way in hell this kid gets 2million if his dad was some average Joe. What creed does this kid provide a company who obviously believes he is worth millions? Who is this company, and what is their product they are wanting pushed via this kids NIL?

My thoughts as well. This young man is no ordinary incoming freshman, so this is not an ordinary endorsement deal. Still don't know who this company is or what they do, so I probably won't use their product because of this, but they saw the chance to make a splash and took it.
07-04-2021 10:12 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
I thought this was interesting. This is a page that provides buyers the ability to book personal appearances for a number of different college athletes and includes the "per hour" rate for each athlete on the web page. It ranges from $11,000 an hour to $8 an hour.

https://www.dreamfield.co/category/mens-football
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2021 04:12 PM by Attackcoog.)
07-04-2021 04:10 PM
46566 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Gonzaga
(07-04-2021 04:10 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I thought this was interesting. This is a page that provides buyers the ability to book personal appearances for a number of different college athletes and includes the "per hour" rate for each athlete on the web page. It ranges from $11,000 an hour to $8 an hour.

https://www.dreamfield.co/category/mens-football

I actually think something like this would be most common over all athletics. The top football players will gain more money and someone on the bowling team or rowing team not getting much. I could even see schools using that for donor parties by saying members of the school athletics will be in attendance.
07-04-2021 05:25 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(07-02-2021 07:18 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(07-02-2021 04:02 PM)Maize Wrote:  From the Article:

Master P hasn't had a hit since the Clinton Administration. So not sure what the NIL value here will be, LOL.

To be sure, Master P is definitely on the high end of entertainers that have pretty savvy business acumen (e.g. actual success in legit financial and real estate ventures and not just endorsement deals). The guy parlayed a few hits in the ‘90s into a $200 million-plus net worth.

Let’s put it this way: this company just got media publicity that was worth much more than $2 million. That’s where the value came from in this deal.
07-05-2021 10:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.