Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Penny Hardaway from the Memphis Tigers to Orlando Magic as Head Coach????
Maize Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
Penny Hardaway from the Memphis Tigers to Orlando Magic as Head Coach????
Interesting ...From The Athletic:

University of Memphis coach Penny Hardaway interviewed for the Orlando Magic head-coaching job and has emerged as a serious candidate, sources tell The Athletic.

Hardaway, 49, played 14 NBA seasons from 1993-2007, making four All-Star teams and two All-NBA first teams. He starred for the Magic from 1993-1999, establishing himself as one of the best players in franchise history.

Hardaway has served as Memphis’ head coach since 2018, earning a strong reputation in player development and utilizing his pedigree as a player and relationships across the basketball community.

Hardaway has continued his coaching routine this offseason, spending time training 2021 NBA Draft prospect Quentin Grimes of Houston. Grimes had a 27-point performance in a scrimmage game during the Draft Combine this week in Chicago and has been a rising wing player in the pre-draft process.

https://theathletic.com/news/memphis-pen...UsHuTlo870
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2021 05:40 PM by Maize.)
06-27-2021 05:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
RE: Penny Hardaway from the Memphis Tigers to Orlando Magic as Head Coach????
That would be a blow to the AAC if it happens. Memphis would have a hard time replacing him with someone anywhere near the good fit that Penny is in that town.
06-27-2021 08:34 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
Seems fair that James Wiseman pays for Penny's travel to Orlando, no?
06-27-2021 10:30 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
(06-27-2021 10:30 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Seems fair that James Wiseman pays for Penny's travel to Orlando, no?

No
06-28-2021 01:30 AM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(06-27-2021 10:30 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Seems fair that James Wiseman pays for Penny's travel to Orlando, no?

If Wiseman did that, the NBA commissioner would rule Penny ineligible to coach the Magic.

That's how it would work if the real world was governed by the N-C-A-A. 07-coffee3
[Image: ed8d4b81-9838-41ab-9a70-c62a0bb2c1b5-AP_...;auto=webp]
06-28-2021 01:51 AM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
Penny isn't leaving but interviewing with an NBA team should help on the recruiting trail...
06-28-2021 09:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
(06-27-2021 08:34 PM)ken d Wrote:  That would be a blow to the AAC if it happens. Memphis would have a hard time replacing him with someone anywhere near the good fit that Penny is in that town.

The Orlando Magic are rebuilding. They traded their three best players before the trade deadline for some promising young talent and multiple draft picks. They do have the No. 5 and No. 8 picks in the lottery. They are coming off a 21-51 season. The next coach of that team needs to be someone that is good at developing young talent and has a lot of patience, along with a guaranteed contract for five years. I think it is better to stick with Memphis, unless he finds the money and the challenge hard to resist.
06-28-2021 01:22 PM
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
Fake news.
06-29-2021 06:10 AM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

(06-29-2021 06:10 AM)TripleA Wrote:  Fake news.

Not only is Penny staying at Memphis, he is adding Larry Brown as an Assistant Coach.
06-29-2021 11:23 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(06-29-2021 11:23 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  Not only is Penny staying at Memphis, he is adding Larry Brown as an Assistant Coach.

Larry Brown at...
UCLA (1979-81, 1980 NCAA appearance vacated)
Kansas (1983-88, put on NCAA probation 1988-89)
SMU (2012-16, ineligible for 2016 NCAA's, lost nine scholarships over a three year period)
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2021 11:29 PM by DFW HOYA.)
06-29-2021 11:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

(06-29-2021 11:29 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  
(06-29-2021 11:23 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  Not only is Penny staying at Memphis, he is adding Larry Brown as an Assistant Coach.

Larry Brown at...
UCLA (1979-81, 1980 NCAA appearance vacated)
Kansas (1983-88, put on NCAA probation 1988-89)
SMU (2012-16, ineligible for 2016 NCAA's, lost nine scholarships over a three year period)

I hate the NCAA. Some things happened before Brown got to UCLA. A lot of minor stuff and for that the NCAA acts as if the 1980 run to the championship game never happened. Brown is an excellent coach and the NCAA cannot erase that.

The UCLA violations: The basketball violations included arranging apartments for players at reduced rental rates; co-signing a promissory note so that a player could purchase a car; arranging for a player's complimentary basketball tickets, to be sold at higher than face value; arranging the use of cars at reduced costs; giving a recruit money for personal use, and providing meals and entertainments for some recruits and their families.

The university also failed to reduce the amount of financial aid to three players on another grant, the N.C.A.A. said, and an assistant coach gave a recruit a school T-shirt.

At Kansas, he won a national championship.
06-30-2021 12:49 AM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
I mean, Larry Brown is the only head coach to win both an NCAA championship and NBA championship. His problem is he can never settle down long term on one gig
06-30-2021 01:24 AM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
Whether the decision to stay was the better choice is going to hinge on him getting the squad to finally bust out of NIT world now.
06-30-2021 04:31 AM
Advertisement

GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
Memphis and Larry Brown are a perfect pairing.
06-30-2021 09:28 AM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
If Brown makes it to Memphis (and I'm on record as strongly supporting the hire), he will mark the third Tiger coach (joining John Calipari and the late Clean Gene Bartow) as a member of either the Naismith Memorial Basketball or the National Collegiate Basketball halls of fame (Brown is in both, with Bartow and Cal in one each). If Tubby Smith is inducted into one (a major "if" but possible at some point), that's four for the UM program.

On this theme, does anybody know the record number of coaches (head or assistant) in the two halls of fame and from any one men's college hoops program? I would think six or seven is the max.
06-30-2021 05:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.