Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Portal
Bookmark and Share
NUGUY Offline
1st String

I Root For: nu
The Portal
Last thoughts on the Portal...

The "one free transfer" thing hurt mid majors but not all mid majors equally....and not only mid majors. Seems to me that the biggest losers were teams that were not likely to make the Tourney.

We came out of it just fine.....adding two guys from teams who got a lot of time on mush higher rated teams than us and two guys from teams that needed to transfer if they wanted to get on a team with good tourney chances.

Thoughts?
06-21-2021 06:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SomebodyToLove Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Northeastern
RE: The Portal
(06-21-2021 06:16 PM)NUGUY Wrote:  Last thoughts on the Portal...

The "one free transfer" thing hurt mid majors but not all mid majors equally....and not only mid majors. Seems to me that the biggest losers were teams that were not likely to make the Tourney.

We came out of it just fine.....adding two guys from teams who got a lot of time on mush higher rated teams than us and two guys from teams that needed to transfer if they wanted to get on a team with good tourney chances.

Thoughts?

Even a lot of the major conference schools suffered from turnover. I think this took everyone by surprise and will take a while to fully grasp the long term equilibrium.

I do think we ended up okay, Walker was always a transfer threat even without the free year, though maybe he would've waited, I dunno.

I do think we are at least a decent landing zone for transfers because let's face it, we are one of a few teams that is consistently competitive in this league. Coen helps with that for sure.
06-21-2021 07:53 PM
NUGUY Offline
1st String

STL......I think that is exactly right. Guys in the bottom of all conferences seem to be saying, "I'm tired of losing."

The other thing is some programs are families and some are factories. There are schools that don't hesitate to say, "we need your scholarship. Buh bye." We don't do that. I remember when Myles Franklin suddenly left and I pm'd another poster wondering if we took his ship to make room for someone. The guy I pm'd said, "I hope not. That's not us." We never filled the open spot. Myles just wanted to play. I think Hofstra is another example of a "family" program.

Don't mean to drag this out but I just recently read about a school (I think it was someone in the south west) who lost all of their players except for one deep bench player...and this wasn't a coaching change situation.

The teams that thrive in this new world are the ones who see players as family.
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2021 09:30 PM by NUGUY.)
06-21-2021 09:23 PM
Advertisement

NUFan35 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Northeastern
I agree with you guys on your points. It will be interesting to see how things work in future years and people get more accustomed to the musical chairs. The family programs will have an advantage in terms of credibility going forward in my opinion.

I actually think the biggest losers in this new world will be the lower teams in major conferences. The only real selling points they have are playing on tv versus good competition and hope. But the kids know going in they are probably going to lose. It's going to be tough for teams to get out of that cycle. The good majors (like in Tyson's case) are going to scoop up the best of the mid majors and the worst major team will suffer losses to good mid majors (like NU)

As for us, I was really pleased with how it turned out. Before a week was over, we lost Tyson and Shaq. And a month or two later, we have Shaq again plus 4 players who have a chance to be contributors. On top of that, a few of the players have a ton of experience, which will help the rest of the roster grow. Remember, guys like Telfort and Stucke only got a half year of fan-less basketball so this year will be another learning experience
06-22-2021 05:39 PM
NUGUY Offline
1st String

I'm also wondering how we will adapt to the new "musical chairs" reality. After Tyson transferred he was asked if he would done it under the old rules....meaning that he would have had to.sit out a year. He said something like, "almost definatetly not."

So, now bringing in overlooked gems is more risky. There is already a team or two who have said, "We're not recruiting freshmen." They will only bring in transfers from the portal who have to sit out a year if they want to transfer again. Will that be a big part of our strategy? Since the rule change our four additions are portal guys.
06-22-2021 09:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.