Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Fathers day
jaybird44 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: old dominion,va
Fathers day
Best fathers son combo. There are a lot of great candidates. I think it is the mannings, but you have Calvin and grant hill,the griffeys,currys,etc. What is your pick and what impact did your dad have on your love of sports. Mine would be the fact that my dad was very ill for a long time, but one day when I was fourteen, he came outside with me and my buddies and watched us play wiffle ball and then when I was pitching he grabbed the wiffle bat and I pitched to him. He got a hit, then he let someone run for him. He later told me how good a player I was. Best day ever with dad. He passed away the day after I got married 31 years ago and a day does not go by that I don't think of that day.
06-20-2021 09:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
RE: Fathers day
I'm glad Jaybird started this thread.

Not sure about father-son combos (there have been a decent number). The ones Jaybird lists are strong. I would have Ed McCaffrey and Christian McCaffrey in the mix, too. And likely Joe Bryant and the late Kobe Bryant.

As to Father's Day ...

... I have enjoyed college and pro sports since I was a little boy in the late-1960s/early 1970s — largely because of my father. Pops had direct personal connections to both Vanderbilt and Memphis, so I loved the Commodores and Tigers from the start. He was born prematurely in 1931 and likely had his life saved by doctors at Vanderbilt Hospital. He worked as a batboy for the old minor league club Nashville Vols in 1945 and got lots of Chicago Cubs gear (as the Cubs were the MLB parent club for the Vols). So my father has been a Cubs fan — for a long time. In addition, he worked in the mid-1940s at Vanderbilt Stadium selling peanuts and popcorn during football games. In the 1950s and after he left the Air Force (thanks to all the Americans who have served this great nation), Pops worked for about 10 years as an athletic trainer at what was then Memphis State College.

My father earned six professional certificates from the University of Oklahoma, studying for one each per summer from the late 1960s to the mid-1970s (I traveled to Norman from Nashville two times with him). He got to know some OU professors and strongly enjoyed being on the campus. So he (and as an extension, I) cheers for the Sooners. Pops was very pleased to see the OU ladies win the NCAA softball title.

My father recently turned 90 and every day is a blessing to have him still with us.

So here's to the Cubs, Sooners, Tigers and Commodores, Pops. It's your day. I love you.
06-20-2021 10:04 AM
jaybird44 Offline
Special Teams

(06-20-2021 10:04 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  I'm glad Jaybird started this thread.

Not sure about father-son combos (there have been a decent number). The ones Jaybird lists are strong. I would have Ed McCaffrey and Christian McCaffrey in the mix, too. And likely Joe Bryant and the late Kobe Bryant.

As to Father's Day ...

... I have enjoyed college and pro sports since I was a little boy in the late-1960s/early 1970s — largely because of my father. Pops had direct personal connections to both Vanderbilt and Memphis, so I loved the Commodores and Tigers from the start. He was born prematurely in 1931 and likely had his life saved by doctors at Vanderbilt Hospital. He worked as a batboy for the old minor league club Nashville Vols in 1945 and got lots of Chicago Cubs gear (as the Cubs were the MLB parent club for the Vols). So my father has been a Cubs fan — for a long time. In addition, he worked in the mid-1940s at Vanderbilt Stadium selling peanuts and popcorn during football games. In the 1950s and after he left the Air Force (thanks to all the Americans who have served this great nation), Pops worked for about 10 years as an athletic trainer at what was then Memphis State College.

My father earned six professional certificates from the University of Oklahoma, studying for one each per summer from the late 1960s to the mid-1970s (I traveled to Norman from Nashville two times with him). He got to know some OU professors and strongly enjoyed being on the campus. So he (and as an extension, I) cheers for the Sooners. Pops was very pleased to see the OU ladies win the NCAA softball title.

My father recently turned 90 and every day is a blessing to have him still with us.

So here's to the Cubs, Sooners, Tigers and Commodores, Pops. It's your day. I love you.

Very nice sir
06-20-2021 04:48 PM
Advertisement

bill dazzle Offline

(06-20-2021 04:48 PM)jaybird44 Wrote:  

As to Father's Day ...

Very nice sir

I'm sure you will never stop thinking of the day 31 years ago that your father died — and why that everyday thought is so important. And though I do not know you, I hugely respect you for always remembering and honoring your father's memory.
06-20-2021 07:00 PM
jaybird44 Offline
Special Teams

(06-20-2021 07:00 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

As to Father's Day ...

Very nice sir

I'm sure you will never stop thinking of the day 31 years ago that your father died — and why that everyday thought is so important. And though I do not know you, I hugely respect you for always remembering and honoring your father's memory.

Thank you and right back at you. I was 25 when he passed and even though he has been gone 31 years he gets smarter and smarter all the time. I understand more about him now and I wish I could talk to him once more because there was such an age difference. He was 44 when I was born.
06-20-2021 07:55 PM
Advertisement

bill dazzle Offline

(06-20-2021 07:55 PM)jaybird44 Wrote:  

As to Father's Day ...

Very nice sir

Thank you and right back at you. I was 25 when he passed and even though he has been gone 31 years he gets smarter and smarter all the time. I understand more about him now and I wish I could talk to him once more because there was such an age difference. He was 44 when I was born.

I'm sure he's looking down upon you and smiling as a proud father. Be strong, jaybird44.
06-20-2021 09:50 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
The best father-son combo is probably Barry and Bobby Bonds, Ken Griffey Sr and Jr, or the Mannings.

The most intriguing are the Noahs, the Alomars, and the Boones. The Alomars and the Boones have 3 generations of greatness. The Noahs are tennis great Yannick Noah (23 singles titles and 16 doubles titles) and his son Joakim Noah, who led Florida to back-to-back basketball titles and was a 2-time All Star for the Chicago Bulls.
06-21-2021 06:59 AM
Advertisement

bill dazzle Offline

(06-21-2021 06:59 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  The best father-son combo is probably Barry and Bobby Bonds, Ken Griffey Sr and Jr, or the Mannings.

The most intriguing are the Noahs, the Alomars, and the Boones. The Alomars and the Boones have 3 generations of greatness. The Noahs are tennis great Yannick Noah (23 singles titles and 16 doubles titles) and his son Joakim Noah, who led Florida to back-to-back basketball titles and was a 2-time All Star for the Chicago Bulls.

I forgot about the Noahs, and that is a strong one.
06-21-2021 09:04 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(06-21-2021 09:04 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  
(06-21-2021 06:59 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  The best father-son combo is probably Barry and Bobby Bonds, Ken Griffey Sr and Jr, or the Mannings.

In the interest of full disclosure, I just learned that one from Google this morning 04-cheers
06-21-2021 10:39 AM
Advertisement

bill dazzle Offline

(06-21-2021 10:39 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(06-21-2021 09:04 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

In the interest of full disclosure, I just learned that one from Google this morning 04-cheers

Nothing wrong with that. I use Google and Wiki some with my posts.

04-cheers
06-21-2021 12:39 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(06-20-2021 07:55 PM)jaybird44 Wrote:  

As to Father's Day ...

Very nice sir

As you get older, you realize that you knew nothing in your teens and very little in your 20s and still had a lot to learn in your 30s.
06-21-2021 04:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.