MyBB Penny Interview with Rothstein
06-18-2021 12:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

aardWolf Online
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: Penny Interview with Rothstein
At the end Penny said Cisse was gone. At this point I think we can eliminate any irrational hope that he might somehow be back.
06-18-2021 01:03 PM
rolexjames Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Glad that we are getting some pub and people feel a need to reach out and at least ask questions about our team. That wasn't happening under Tubby.
06-18-2021 01:48 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
Penny has been mentioning an improving basketball culture a lot lately...

That is huge.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2021 03:31 PM by macgar32.)
06-18-2021 03:31 PM
MemphisTigerPawr Offline
Jesus is the risen LORD and Savior

I Root For: TIGERS

Donators
(06-18-2021 01:03 PM)aardWolf Wrote:  At the end Penny said Cisse was gone. At this point I think we can eliminate any irrational hope that he might somehow be back.

I gave up on Cisse ever returning to college a long time ago.
06-18-2021 04:38 PM
Advertisement

ItsDude Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I think our biggest loss was DJ...sure wish he had stayed.
06-18-2021 05:20 PM
presskh Offline
Heisman

(06-18-2021 05:20 PM)ItsDude Wrote:  I think our biggest loss was DJ...sure wish he had stayed.

Agree.
06-18-2021 11:07 PM
dan o Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
(06-18-2021 11:07 PM)presskh Wrote:  
(06-18-2021 05:20 PM)ItsDude Wrote:  I think our biggest loss was DJ...sure wish he had stayed.

Agree.

Disagree
06-19-2021 08:00 AM
holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

I think there’s a real possibility our talent is upgraded over last year’s. I guess we wait and see.
06-19-2021 09:22 AM
Advertisement

TiminMem23 Offline
All American

(06-19-2021 08:00 AM)dan o Wrote:  

Agree.

Disagree

I disagree as well. Cisse was a true rim protector and had a significant effect on the way opponents would attack Memphis. So long as he didn't allow someone to draw him away from the basket area, he altered so many shots when guys would drive the ball. It didn't always show up in the stat sheet, but I saw it so many times. He was a big reason the D was what it was.

DJ was a bit disappointing. Not trying to dump on him, but he was an inconsistent scorer and a pretty good defender. But he didn't have the effect on defense that Cisse did IMO. There were times when I really liked him and other times when I felt he was/is expendable and can easily be replaced. I worry that Cisse can't easily be replaced, at least not what he did on defense.

I still want to believe in Penny. I hope he can get it done. Not asking for a natty or anything. I just hope to see a Memphis team can beat anyone on a given night, is tough and can get to the tournament and put some fear in teams.
06-19-2021 10:00 AM
rolexjames Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(06-18-2021 03:31 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  Penny has been mentioning an improving basketball culture a lot lately...

That is huge.

Penny stated last month that he sees the need to keep some Memphis kids on roster for culture alone and add pieces from out of town. Memphis is known for grit and grind and Memphis kids grow up in that culture. They understand what basketball means to the city. If the culture is set, they instill that into guys from out of town to help us go to another level.

My biggest wish is that we keep the offensive continuity that we had by the end of the year. Penny is coaching like Ty Lue. He gets a feel for his team before he makes adjustments. Hence all 3 years we start slow and he adjust by conference season and by the end we are good. But that only lands us on the bubble. Hopefully with culture established, this leads to faster starts so we don't have to be on the bubble and the conference can't help us. And beat Tulsa like a drum.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2021 10:05 AM by rolexjames.)
06-19-2021 10:03 AM
TGTiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis
(06-19-2021 10:00 AM)TiminMem23 Wrote:  

Agree.

Disagree

I disagree as well. Cisse was a true rim protector and had a significant effect on the way opponents would attack Memphis. So long as he didn't allow someone to draw him away from the basket area, he altered so many shots when guys would drive the ball. It didn't always show up in the stat sheet, but I saw it so many times. He was a big reason the D was what it was.

DJ was a bit disappointing. Not trying to dump on him, but he was an inconsistent scorer and a pretty good defender. But he didn't have the effect on defense that Cisse did IMO. There were times when I really liked him and other times when I felt he was/is expendable and can easily be replaced. I worry that Cisse can't easily be replaced, at least not what he did on defense.

I still want to believe in Penny. I hope he can get it done. Not asking for a natty or anything. I just hope to see a Memphis team can beat anyone on a given night, is tough and can get to the tournament and put some fear in teams.

Exactly.
06-19-2021 10:55 AM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

Agree.

Disagree

We will not replace Cisse Defensively...That is true.

But DJ was a good defender and had a high ceiling...But DJ seemed like 'Spoon...Just wanted to have fun.
06-19-2021 11:41 AM
Advertisement

micman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis/GT

Agree.

Disagree

DJ messed up the team chemistry somehow. Not that he is a bad guy or a knucklehead in any way. But the early part of the season, he could not be on the floor at the same time as Landers Nolley. The season before, he could not be on the floor at the same time as Lester.
06-19-2021 02:16 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(06-19-2021 02:16 PM)micman Wrote:  

Agree.

Disagree

DJ messed up the team chemistry somehow. Not that he is a bad guy or a knucklehead in any way. But the early part of the season, he could not be on the floor at the same time as Landers Nolley. The season before, he could not be on the floor at the same time as Lester.

He was great with everyone the last third of the season.
06-19-2021 02:20 PM
Hernando Hills Tiger Offline
High score: 819 (credit)

I Root For: USA

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
(06-19-2021 10:03 AM)rolexjames Wrote:  
(06-18-2021 03:31 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  Penny has been mentioning an improving basketball culture a lot lately...

That is huge.

Penny stated last month that he sees the need to keep some Memphis kids on roster for culture alone and add pieces from out of town. Memphis is known for grit and grind and Memphis kids grow up in that culture. They understand what basketball means to the city. If the culture is set, they instill that into guys from out of town to help us go to another level.

My biggest wish is that we keep the offensive continuity that we had by the end of the year. Penny is coaching like Ty Lue. He gets a feel for his team before he makes adjustments. Hence all 3 years we start slow and he adjust by conference season and by the end we are good. But that only lands us on the bubble. Hopefully with culture established, this leads to faster starts so we don't have to be on the bubble and the conference can't help us. And beat Tulsa like a drum.

I think lack of experience was the cause for the slow starts. We have been a young team the last two years. I expect to see a better team right out of the gate this year and we have the schedule to push us up the rankings if we win.
06-19-2021 03:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC

Agree.

Disagree

Agree strongly. Of all the departing Tigers, Cisse will be the toughest to replace.
06-19-2021 06:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.