Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pre-Preseason Depth Chart
Bookmark and Share
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I Root For: NIU
I got that itch today and instead of working, I put together a quick pre-camp depth chart. Full disclosure I haven’t been to a game or practice since 2019, but here’s what I came up with.

QB
Lombardi (GRAD)
Fletcher (fresh)
OR Hampton (Tfresh)

FB/H-Back
Ratkovich (GRAD)
Bostad (soph)

RB
Waylee (fresh)
Collins (jr)
Ducker (fresh)

TE
Joiner (jr)
Soraghan (jr)
Tewes (fr)

WR
Richie (grad)
Rudolph (fr)
Tucker (jr)
Toure (fr)
McCray (fr)

LT
Cox (so)
Engstrand (fr)

LG
Pardon (Sr)
Champe (fr)

C
Lippe (fr)
????

RG
Zschernitz (fr)
Pitcel (fr)

RT
Potter (so)
Buss (fr)

DE
Oppong (fr)
Thomas (fr)
O’Malley (fr)—wouldn’t shock me if he plays inside
Kennedy (jr)

DT
Ester (fr)
Taylor (fr)
Griffin (so)
OLB
Deveaux (grad)
Jackson (fr)

MLB
Pugh (older than me)
Rattin (so)

OLB
Rayner (fr)
Kopp (fr)

CB
Gandy (so)
Thomas (jr)
McGarrell (tfresh)
McGee (fresh)
March (jr)

S
Lafayette (fr)
Brown (fr)
OR Hansen (fr)

Of the 45 listed:
Senior 6
Junior 6
Sophomore 6
Freshman 27 (lol)

I only see 5 players who can’t return for 2022 if they want: Pugh, LDJ, Richie, Ratkovich, Patton.

Easily the strongest position appears to be RB. I didn’t even list the transfer from Youngstown. Ratkovich and Joiner should create matchup problems for defenses. Think there’s a good chance you see true freshmen get snaps at WR and in the secondary. I’m going to be interested if they lost Brown at WR or RB, I bet it’s WR.

Just really incredible to look at how young they were last year. Damn near the entire DL and the entire safety room were true freshmen.

I’m sure I will end up being wildly wrong on some of this, but I figured I’d post what I came up with.
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2021 03:14 PM by 7.)
06-14-2021 03:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TXHuskieJA26 Offline
1st String

RE: Pre-Preseason Depth Chart
(06-14-2021 03:11 PM)7 Wrote:  I got that itch today and instead of working, I put together a quick pre-camp depth chart. Full disclosure I haven’t been to a game or practice since 2019, but here’s what I came up with.

QB
Lombardi (GRAD)
Fletcher (fresh)
OR Hampton (Tfresh)

FB/H-Back
Ratkovich (GRAD)
Bostad (soph)

RB
Waylee (fresh)
Collins (jr)
Ducker (fresh)

TE
Joiner (jr)
Soraghan (jr)
Tewes (fr)

WR
Richie (grad)
Rudolph (fr)
Tucker (jr)
Toure (fr)
McCray (fr)

LT
Cox (so)
Engstrand (fr)

LG
Pardon (Sr)
Champe (fr)

C
Lippe (fr)
????

RG
Zschernitz (fr)
Pitcel (fr)

RT
Potter (so)
Buss (fr)

DE
Oppong (fr)
Thomas (fr)
O’Malley (fr)—wouldn’t shock me if he plays inside
Kennedy (jr)

DT
Ester (fr)
Taylor (fr)
Griffin (so)
OLB
Deveaux (grad)
Jackson (fr)

MLB
Pugh (older than me)
Rattin (so)

OLB
Rayner (fr)
Kopp (fr)

CB
Gandy (so)
Thomas (jr)
McGarrell (tfresh)
McGee (fresh)
March (jr)

S
Lafayette (fr)
Brown (fr)
OR Hansen (fr)

Of the 45 listed:
Senior 6
Junior 6
Sophomore 6
Freshman 27 (lol)

I only see 5 players who can’t return for 2022 if they want: Pugh, LDJ, Richie, Ratkovich, Patton.

Easily the strongest position appears to be RB. I didn’t even list the transfer from Youngstown. Ratkovich and Joiner should create matchup problems for defenses. Think there’s a good chance you see true freshmen get snaps at WR and in the secondary. I’m going to be interested if they lost Brown at WR or RB, I bet it’s WR.

Just really incredible to look at how young they were last year. Damn near the entire DL and the entire safety room were true freshmen.

I’m sure I will end up being wildly wrong on some of this, but I figured I’d post what I came up with.

Pretty close to what I think as well.

The only changes from what I think camp will open with are:

QB: None

RB: Technically none, but I believe Ratkovich will be used here more often than some others.

FB: None

TE: I think Joiner will be in the mix by the season opener, but he will be behind everyone else in knowing the offense so I thinkk Soraghan will still be the starter with a rotation of Mallette, Tewes and Joiner behind him.

WR: None, but also expect Travis and Howard to get PT as well.

LT: Cox & Buss

LG: Champe & Pitcel

C: Patten & Lippe

RG: Zschernitz & Schooley

RT: Potter & Engstrand

DE: Thomas, Oppong & Davis, Kennedy

DT: Ester, Griffen & O'Malley (was announced earlier in offseason he is officially a DT now), Taylor.

OLB: Rayner, Deveaux & Jackson, Dolphin

MLB: Pugh & Rattin

CB: McGee, Gandy & Thomas, Rogers

S: Lafayette, Hansen & Earl, Brown.
06-14-2021 03:30 PM
BigChilla Offline
1st String

When breaking down the D line coach said O’Malley has kicked inside.

The starters are likely Ester and Griffin there.

Corner I would add Rodgers. They like him, they keep talking about him, it’s time for someone to show up out there.

Brown seems to be solidly at #3 on the depth chart when the safety coach was talking. Seems like Earl moved up to be battling for that #3 spot. The only thing they keep talking about with brown is that needs to cover better and be faster...not sure they can fix that.

The offense you posted is what I think as well. Patton slides to guard and lippe is the center. Almost sure this will be the way the season starts.

Agree with Joiner as well. He is a weapon.
06-14-2021 03:37 PM
Teamduh Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Northern Il
After watching 3 spring practices I'd put McCray after Tucker. He was impressive and was being recognized with special player jersey.

After McCray I'd have Messiah Travis. He played a little last year and this spring was making plays and getting lots of looks. Seems like the team trusts him.

Just like RB position we have quality depth here at WR.

Agree with most your other offensive observations.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
06-15-2021 01:24 PM
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
All the above observations seem pretty accurate based on my highly unofficial spring observations.

I think Hampton will be the backup QB. I'll be interested to see how much of a run Ryan Yost gives him for it.

It would be nice if one of the incoming freshman wideouts is good enough to play right away.
06-15-2021 01:59 PM
Advertisement

TXHuskieJA26 Offline
1st String

(06-15-2021 01:59 PM)NIU1981 Wrote:  All the above observations seem pretty accurate based on my highly unofficial spring observations.

I think Hampton will be the backup QB. I'll be interested to see how much of a run Ryan Yost gives him for it.

It would be nice if one of the incoming freshman wideouts is good enough to play right away.

I don't see any of the true freshman wideouts getting PT except maybe in blowout situations. It's not that there isn't any talent in the group, it's just that the non-freshman wr group is 9 deep with talented players, several of whom are still very young and/or inexperienced themselves so I don't see the coaching staff taking many reps away from them.
06-16-2021 08:19 AM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(06-16-2021 08:19 AM)TXHuskieJA26 Wrote:  
(06-15-2021 01:59 PM)NIU1981 Wrote:  All the above observations seem pretty accurate based on my highly unofficial spring observations.

I don't see any of the true freshman wideouts getting PT except maybe in blowout situations. It's not that there isn't any talent in the group, it's just that the non-freshman wr group is 9 deep with talented players, several of whom are still very young and/or inexperienced themselves so I don't see the coaching staff taking many reps away from them.

I think the WR room is wide open after Tucker. There’s snaps to be had
06-16-2021 08:55 AM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(06-16-2021 08:55 AM)7 Wrote:  

Tucker loses his spot by game 4. He should only come in on third down on obvious passing when going 4 wide.
06-16-2021 09:19 AM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(06-16-2021 09:19 AM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  

Tucker loses his spot by game 4. He should only come in on third down on obvious passing when going 4 wide.

I doubt it lol. He’s clearly #3 behind the top two guys.
06-16-2021 10:35 AM
Advertisement

BigChilla Offline
1st String

I am probably in the minority but I like Tucker a lot. Good size, blocks, clean routes - he 100% should be on the field to open things up for everyone.

Good routes and clean blocks don’t show up on the stats, but they make things flow on offense.
06-16-2021 10:45 AM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

(06-16-2021 10:45 AM)BigChilla Wrote:  

I am probably in the minority but I like Tucker a lot. Good size, blocks, clean routes - he 100% should be on the field to open things up for everyone.

Good routes and clean blocks don’t show up on the stats, but they make things flow on offense.

They want a more explosive offense and Tucker’s YAC is about the worst I’ve ever seen. He will drop to his knees and fall down to secure the catch as opposed to reaching down and continuing to run. Which is fine on 3rd and 8 with a 9 yard catch. But there are a couple of guys who give you much better offensive weapons.

I do agree on the blocking. So many big runs happen because of that wr block on the last defender. I can’t say McCray, Travis or Toure are bad blockers though. Haven’t seen enough.
06-16-2021 12:06 PM
Teamduh Offline
1st String

I'm not sure you are the in the minority. Tucker has great hands and the ability to catch the football. Those skills are important (see Robinson). Yes he does lack the ability to break away from defenders after a catch. Lucky for us we have several other wrs who can. He has a role on this team and I expect that we will see some big plays from him this year.

LOVE this WR group like no other except the Golladay years.

06-16-2021 12:56 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

Cole has played for 3 years now under two different coaches, he’s not going to randomly get benched this year lol
06-16-2021 01:11 PM
Advertisement

NorthCoast Away
Your DEFINITIVE MAC source

I Root For: NIU/Equity/Beer
(06-16-2021 12:56 PM)Teamduh Wrote:  
(06-16-2021 08:19 AM)TXHuskieJA26 Wrote:  I don't see any of the true freshman wideouts getting PT except maybe in blowout situations. It's not that there isn't any talent in the group, it's just that the non-freshman wr group is 9 deep with talented players, several of whom are still very young and/or inexperienced themselves so I don't see the coaching staff taking many reps away from them.

I'm not sure you are the in the minority. Tucker has great hands and the ability to catch the football. Those skills are important (see Robinson). Yes he does lack the ability to break away from defenders after a catch. Lucky for us we have several other wrs who can. He has a role on this team and I expect that we will see some big plays from him this year.

That 2011 team with Nathan Palmer, Martel Moore, Da’Ron Brown, Perez Ashford, Willie Clark, a young TLL, and Akeem Daniels out of the backfield may want a word with you.
06-16-2021 01:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HawaiiToNIU Offline
All American

(06-16-2021 01:22 PM)NorthCoast Wrote:  
(06-16-2021 08:55 AM)7 Wrote:  I think the WR room is wide open after Tucker. There’s snaps to be had

That 2011 team with Nathan Palmer, Martel Moore, Da’Ron Brown, Perez Ashford, Willie Clark, a young TLL, and Akeem Daniels out of the backfield may want a word with you.

Damn that's an impressive group. Napalm, TLL and Da'Ron were my favorites from that class.
06-16-2021 01:44 PM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

(06-16-2021 01:11 PM)7 Wrote:  Cole has played for 3 years now under two different coaches, he’s not going to randomly get benched this year lol

He was competing with Robinson, Mitchell, and any of the other QBs converted to WR since he was a frosh. He has real quality to beat out this year.
06-16-2021 02:10 PM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

As far as great hands - he has consistant hands when the ball is within reach. His catch radius is minimal. He doesn’t go up and snag balls or beat guys out for them. Not gonna make really any spectacular catches leaving his feet or one handing it. He is the epitome of a safe, solid wr. There’s a role for that type guy. But if McCray or anyone else starts making big plays…Richie and Rudolph aren’t coming off the field
06-16-2021 02:32 PM
Advertisement

Teamduh Offline
1st String

(06-16-2021 08:55 AM)7 Wrote:  I think the WR room is wide open after Tucker. There’s snaps to be had

I feel you NorthCoast. Let's let this season play out and my hope is we can have a good debate about which group did better. 03-wink

06-16-2021 03:44 PM
Teamduh Offline
1st String

(06-16-2021 01:44 PM)HawaiiToNIU Wrote:  
(06-16-2021 09:19 AM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  Tucker loses his spot by game 4. He should only come in on third down on obvious passing when going 4 wide.

Damn that's an impressive group. Napalm, TLL and Da'Ron were my favorites from that class.
Daron Brown pre-Orange Bowl injury was costly. Lynch had nobody to stretch field against Fl St.

06-16-2021 03:46 PM
TXHuskieJA26 Offline
1st String

Tucker lacks the burst to separate from even an average MAC DB, and has trouble making contested catches. Those two things are not a good combination. He already started losing snaps to Travis and Toure towards the end of last year. We know how good Richie is. McCray was very highly rated out of HS and has been one of the best players on the field in every portion of the off-season thus far. We know Rudolph is explosive and he should be a much improved route runner and should catch the ball better in his 2nd season as a WR. The coaches thought enough of Dozier to put him on scholarship. Howard had a really nice spring. There are a lot of opportunities for guys to improve their target share from previous years, but as for the incoming freshmen, that is a really hard group to crack right off the bat. That is also only taking into account the actual WR's. They are going to create match-up problems with guys like Ratkovich and Joiner, and I would also expect there to be a consistent effort to get the ball to Waylee and Ducker in space through the passing game.

My start of summer wager on reception leaders at the end of the season goes:
1) Richie - 85
2) McCray - 40
3) Rudolph - 35
4) Ratkovich - 30
5) Waylee - 24
6) Travis - 20
7) Tucker -18
8) Joiner - 12
9) Toure - 10
10) Howard - 6
06-16-2021 04:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.