RE: Moussa Cisse Receives A G League Elite Camp Invitation
same camp where Michigan commit and Tiger target Davontae Jones is invited to
06-07-2021 10:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SeñorTiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers
I am not particularly familiar with this. What does this mean?
06-07-2021 10:47 AM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(06-07-2021 10:47 AM)SeñorTiger Wrote:  I am not particularly familiar with this. What does this mean?

Same here...Is that a evaluation camp or is that something that makes him no longer eligible to return?

But honestly watching some of these bigs in the playoffs...Some of these guys are just tall athletes as well...Cisse isn't too far off of who Claxton is for the Nets and Claxton played 2 years of college and 2 years in the NBA.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2021 11:01 AM by macgar32.)
06-07-2021 10:56 AM
cscottl1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Moussa Cisse Receives A G League Elite Camp Invitation
(06-07-2021 10:56 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  
(06-07-2021 10:47 AM)SeñorTiger Wrote:  I am not particularly familiar with this. What does this mean?

Same here...Is that a evaluation camp or is that something that makes him no longer eligible to return?

But honestly watching some of these bigs in the playoffs...Some of these guys are just tall athletes as well...Cisse isn't too far off of who Claxton is for the Nets and Claxton played 2 years of college and 2 years in the NBA.

I don’t think Cisse is even sort of ready for the NBA, but you’re right. Many bigs in the NBA today don’t do much more than rebound, block shots and rim run. He can do that.

He has several areas where he could improve, but the main question is can he improve defensively when he gets pulled away from the basket. I have my doubts, but I hope he makes it in the long run.
06-07-2021 12:08 PM
SeñorTiger Offline
Heisman

(06-07-2021 10:56 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  

Cisse reminds me a lot of Nerlens Noel for the Knicks. Both lack any offensive game, mediocre rebounders (for their size), they seems to lack a certain amount of basketball IQ, but great defensively. He will have a place in the NBA if he develops a few areas of his game.

I think a lot of people overestimate the offensive skills required for a big man in the NBA today. Most grew up watching the NBA when big men were an integral part of the offense. That just is not the case anymore, it is a guard/wing driven league.
06-07-2021 12:49 PM
Advertisement

MemTigers1998 Online
Hall of Famer

I’m guessing this isn’t a FT shooting camp
06-07-2021 01:52 PM
tkgrrett Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
You guys are absolutely wild if you think Cisse looks anything like what Nic Claxton or Noel looked like coming out of college.

Claxton was supposed to be a big with some emerging ball skills and potential to shoot out to the 3 point line. His touch and overall skill level was a mile above Cisse'e

And Nerlens could switch to guard any position on the floor, averaged like 5 blocks a game and had great hands on rim rolls.
06-07-2021 02:57 PM
SeñorTiger Offline
Heisman

(06-07-2021 02:57 PM)tkgrrett Wrote:  You guys are absolutely wild if you think Cisse looks anything like what Nic Claxton or Noel looked like coming out of college.

Claxton was supposed to be a big with some emerging ball skills and potential to shoot out to the 3 point line. His touch and overall skill level was a mile above Cisse'e

And Nerlens could switch to guard any position on the floor, averaged like 5 blocks a game and had great hands on rim rolls.

Responses like this are always some of my favorites... "Reminds me of" or "similar type player" is not a comparison of exact skill levels. Ala, I am not saying that they are at the same skill level after one year of college, otherwise Cisse would be projected as a top 5 pick... But they absolutely have similar games and IF Cisse develops he can absolutely play in the NBA without being a highly skilled offensive player, which is our point.

It is also important to remember that Cisse should just now be entering his true freshman year of college.
06-07-2021 03:41 PM
Alanda Offline
All American

06-07-2021 05:38 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

For a High school senior who had only been playing basketball for 4 years, he did great.
06-07-2021 07:12 PM
Advertisement

macgar32 Offline
Legend

(06-07-2021 02:57 PM)tkgrrett Wrote:  You guys are absolutely wild if you think Cisse looks anything like what Nic Claxton or Noel looked like coming out of college.

Clacton was drafted 31st after two years of college. He was far from skilled.

Do I think cisse gets drafted absolutely not. Do I think he can be better than Claxton three years from today .. Absolutely
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2021 07:48 PM by macgar32.)
06-07-2021 07:48 PM
mapdude Offline
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators
(06-07-2021 07:48 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  

Do I think cisse gets drafted absolutely not. Do I think he can be better than Claxton three years from today .. Absolutely

I'll be brutally honest....do I give a crap if he succeeds or not in the NBA. Nah...
06-07-2021 09:01 PM
former guest Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
(06-07-2021 09:01 PM)mapdude Wrote:  

I'll be brutally honest....do I give a crap if he succeeds or not in the NBA. Nah...

I hear ya', dude.

The only thing I care to know is if he's going to be sporting a University of Memphis jersey next year. If so, great! If not, see ya'....

Time to move on from this drama class and set the roster with guys that want to be here next year.
06-07-2021 10:37 PM
Tiger Joe Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Mayhem
(06-07-2021 10:37 PM)former guest Wrote:  

I hear ya', dude.

The only thing I care to know is if he's going to be sporting a University of Memphis jersey next year. If so, great! If not, see ya'....

Time to move on from this drama class and set the roster with guys that want to be here next year.

I agree wholeheartedly. The mentality of that class may speak to why they did not reach their full potential.
06-08-2021 08:30 AM
Marc Mensa Online
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
Moussa wasn’t prepared for the American. He’d get abused in the G League. He’d do better to find a college program and work his ass off to get better.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2021 09:06 AM by Marc Mensa.)
06-08-2021 09:05 AM
Advertisement

Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-07-2021 10:37 PM)former guest Wrote:  

I hear ya', dude.

That's a little harsh. I don't think he is ready either but if he can one day be introduced with College: Univ of Memphis under his name I'm good.

The world of college and pro basketball has changed from recruiting to opportunities to contracts. Sometimes that comes with consequences based on the choices they make and the people they listen to.
06-08-2021 10:06 AM
SeñorTiger Offline
Heisman

(06-08-2021 09:05 AM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  Moussa wasn’t prepared for the American. He’d get abused in the G League. He’d do better to find a college program and work his ass off to get better.

Wasn't prepared? He was the AAC freshman of the year...
06-08-2021 10:15 AM
Marc Mensa Online
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
(06-08-2021 10:15 AM)SeñorTiger Wrote:  
(06-08-2021 09:05 AM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  Moussa wasn’t prepared for the American. He’d get abused in the G League. He’d do better to find a college program and work his ass off to get better.

Wasn't prepared? He was the AAC freshman of the year...

and Hasheem Thabeet was a 1st team AA but it sure as heck didn’t translate to pro ball. Moussa’s footwork is terrible and he was oftentimes out of position because of his complete lack of feel for the game. He could overcome that, somewhat, in the college game because of his athletic ability but he’ll foul out in 10 minutes in the pros… be it the NBA or the G league. The guy needs to learn the game and develop a feel for it.
06-08-2021 10:30 AM
TGTiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis
I think everyone agrees that he has a ton of work to do and would have really benefitted from coming back for a year, particularly since pennys coaching philosophy is heavily NBA influenced.

Unfortunately I feel like this will become a more frequent occurrence with the g league and relaxed NBA rules.
06-08-2021 12:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.