Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tampering
Bookmark and Share
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Tampering
Interesting article. Saw on another board and decided to bring it here, just for fyi.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...ree-agency
06-06-2021 10:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Big Red Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU
RE: Tampering
(06-06-2021 10:41 AM)pvk75 Wrote:  Interesting article. Saw on another board and decided to bring it here, just for fyi.

I think the NCAA is at the mercy of the NFL on this one because the NFL is more than happy using it as its development program. If the NFL dropped its requirement of 3 years after HS before a player could be drafted (or signed), then you might see this lessen up a bit. Of course, that would mean the NFL and the teams would have to have a development program and we all know they like to maximize profits and development programs like this would most likely either be a loss or a break even for most teams so they probably aren't inclined to do it.

But ultimately, the NFL doesn't care what happens in the NCAA as long as the development continues.

Obviously, the NCAA could reverse course and get rid of the free transfers or even limit the transfers to 1 time only. But I'm sure they'd be met with a ton of lawsuits because of it.

Unfortunately, this is most likely the most visible end to college football in the context of what we all convince ourselves it is. We already know it's a stacked system for the haves (most of the P5 schools) against the have nots. We also know many fans really don't care about winning a championship (or competing for one) as long as we can sit in the same room as the popular kids, whether they pay any attention us or not and...in this case...make it impossible for any of the kids who don't sit at the cool table to have any success at all. And if they do, they get smacked down like Kenneth in Can't Buy Me Love just because they have the audacity to talk to one of the cheerleaders at lunch. Except in this case, there is no Ronald Miller and, even if there was, he's never going to get all the cliques in school to join in on the slow clap. Not the Populars or the Normals or the Nerds or the Floaters or the Stoners...and definitely not the Jocks.
06-06-2021 11:19 AM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Quote:A Power 5 defensive coordinator told VanHaaren he wouldn't bother recruiting high school players if he was at a place like Ball State. If he helps turn that player into an all-MAC type, "A school like us is going to come take him."

Lol, it's gonna happen often now. NIU will develop some all-MAC players out of high school and then a p5 program will just come and recruit them away from us. Oh wait, Iowa is already doing that to us.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2021 12:32 PM by epasnoopy.)
06-06-2021 12:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

(06-06-2021 11:19 AM)Big Red Wrote:  
(06-06-2021 10:41 AM)pvk75 Wrote:  Interesting article. Saw on another board and decided to bring it here, just for fyi.

I think the NCAA is at the mercy of the NFL on this one because the NFL is more than happy using it as its development program. If the NFL dropped its requirement of 3 years after HS before a player could be drafted (or signed), then you might see this lessen up a bit. Of course, that would mean the NFL and the teams would have to have a development program and we all know they like to maximize profits and development programs like this would most likely either be a loss or a break even for most teams so they probably aren't inclined to do it.

But ultimately, the NFL doesn't care what happens in the NCAA as long as the development continues.

Obviously, the NCAA could reverse course and get rid of the free transfers or even limit the transfers to 1 time only. But I'm sure they'd be met with a ton of lawsuits because of it.

Unfortunately, this is most likely the most visible end to college football in the context of what we all convince ourselves it is. We already know it's a stacked system for the haves (most of the P5 schools) against the have nots. We also know many fans really don't care about winning a championship (or competing for one) as long as we can sit in the same room as the popular kids, whether they pay any attention us or not and...in this case...make it impossible for any of the kids who don't sit at the cool table to have any success at all. And if they do, they get smacked down like Kenneth in Can't Buy Me Love just because they have the audacity to talk to one of the cheerleaders at lunch. Except in this case, there is no Ronald Miller and, even if there was, he's never going to get all the cliques in school to join in on the slow clap. Not the Populars or the Normals or the Nerds or the Floaters or the Stoners...and definitely not the Jocks.

It was really terrible the way Quint treated Kenneth for sitting at the cool table especially after when they were 7 years old, Kenneth carried Quint all the way home when he fell out of their tree house and broke hos leg. Kenneth never told anyone that Quint cried the whole home. Oh wait, he did mention that.
06-06-2021 01:00 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(06-06-2021 01:00 PM)Schaefer Beer Wrote:  

It was really terrible the way Quint treated Kenneth for sitting at the cool table especially after when they were 7 years old, Kenneth carried Quint all the way home when he fell out of their tree house and broke hos leg. Kenneth never told anyone that Quint cried the whole home. Oh wait, he did mention that.

Exactly!!!
06-06-2021 01:09 PM
Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

(06-06-2021 12:31 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  
Quote:A Power 5 defensive coordinator told VanHaaren he wouldn't bother recruiting high school players if he was at a place like Ball State. If he helps turn that player into an all-MAC type, "A school like us is going to come take him."

Lol, it's gonna happen often now. NIU will develop some all-MAC players out of high school and then a p5 program will just come and recruit them away from us. Oh wait, Iowa is already doing that to us.

That has been my biggest fearof loosening up the transfer rules with no sit-out year. The P5 will be raiding the Mid-Majors. It would be also be a lot cheaper than traveling to see High School games across the country. Plus they know how they will perform against Div. 1 programs.
Can you imagine how easy it would be to the recruiting coordinator for a P5 program?
All he has to do is order game film of every team from the MAC, Mountain West, AAC etc. Then he can just sit back with his feet on his desk for the rest of the year.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2021 01:14 PM by Schaefer Beer.)
06-06-2021 01:11 PM
Advertisement

Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

(06-06-2021 01:09 PM)Big Red Wrote:  

Exactly!!!

And Ronald McDonald Miller learned more about life in his short time with Cindy Mancini than he would have learned from buying a $1000.00 telescope from the money he saved from his lawn mowing jobs.

I worked as an usher at a movie theater in the 80's. Unfortunately had to sit through alot of bad movies.

On a side note, RIP to the actress who played Cindy Mancini.
06-06-2021 01:26 PM
TXHuskieJA26 Offline
1st String

Just keep in mind, patience is pretty much non existent in college athletics these days. So when P5 program "A" recruits a G5 all conference player, that 4 or 5 star recruit who thought that playing time was theirs is out the door. When the music stops there are only so many P5 scholarships out there, and even fewer starting jobs. That is going to create trickle down, and with the one time free transfer exhausted, guys will have to sit out a year just to get a 2nd chance at a level that has already burned them once. They may not be willing to take that risk. So there are pros and cons for everyone in both directions.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2021 02:18 PM by TXHuskieJA26.)
06-06-2021 02:17 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(06-06-2021 01:26 PM)Schaefer Beer Wrote:  

Exactly!!!

And Ronald McDonald Miller learned more about life in his short time with Cindy Mancini than he would have learned from buying a $1000.00 telescope from the money he saved from his lawn mowing jobs.

I worked as an usher at a movie theater in the 80's. Unfortunately had to sit through alot of bad movies.

I was in the 7th grade with this came out and went on my first ever date to see it. I got to bring 2 friends and she brought 2 friends.

It may be the attachment of that memory but I've always looked fondly of that movie. I just enjoy it for what it is. Pure 80s teen romance flick. I talked my wife (not the same girl) into watching it during the pandemic and I have to say...it still holds up.

Yeah...its got some of those cringy moments the young and/or bored people like to get all bothered about nowadays but I don't care. It's a fun movie.
06-06-2021 02:21 PM
Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

(06-06-2021 02:21 PM)Big Red Wrote:  
(06-06-2021 11:19 AM)Big Red Wrote:  I think the NCAA is at the mercy of the NFL on this one because the NFL is more than happy using it as its development program. If the NFL dropped its requirement of 3 years after HS before a player could be drafted (or signed), then you might see this lessen up a bit. Of course, that would mean the NFL and the teams would have to have a development program and we all know they like to maximize profits and development programs like this would most likely either be a loss or a break even for most teams so they probably aren't inclined to do it.

Exactly!!!

I was in the 7th grade with this came out and went on my first ever date to see it. I got to bring 2 friends and she brought 2 friends.

It may be the attachment of that memory but I've always looked fondly of that movie. I just enjoy it for what it is. Pure 80s teen romance flick. I talked my wife (not the same girl) into watching it during the pandemic and I have to say...it still holds up.

Yeah...its got some of those cringy moments the young and/or bored people like to get all bothered about nowadays but I don't care. It's a fun movie.

I probably shouldn't have used the word bad. It was a an 80' s teen movie that was not by any means, in the running to win an Oscar but was fun to watch.

I though a young Seth Green had the best lines in the movie.

And speaking of the 80's, on your first date, did you pull the Mickey Rourke popcorn gag from the movie Diner?Just kidding.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2021 04:17 PM by Schaefer Beer.)
06-06-2021 04:14 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I don’t get why this is such a concern. Develop players and relationships who want to stay with you. I imagine Richie would of had plenty of suitors if he decided to bail this off-season.

There’s also no reason NIU can’t poach FCS players for the same reason.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2021 02:04 PM by 7.)
06-07-2021 02:03 PM
Advertisement

Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

(06-07-2021 02:03 PM)7 Wrote:  

I don’t get why this is such a concern. Develop players and relationships who want to stay with you. I imagine Richie would of had plenty of suitors if he decided to bail this off-season.

That's true if The P5 teams haven't raided the good FCS players first.
06-07-2021 02:33 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC

The problem is the players won't want to stay with you regardless of the relationships. If you've developed them to where they think (rightly or wrongly) that they stand a good chance of playing time at a P5, then they leave. We've seen that already. I don't think that is balanced out at all by getting the occasional player at an FCS school that was good at that level. Most of them are not Golloday, and even if they are, we only have them for a couple years, if that.
06-07-2021 03:22 PM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

(06-06-2021 11:19 AM)Big Red Wrote:  I think the NCAA is at the mercy of the NFL on this one because the NFL is more than happy using it as its development program. If the NFL dropped its requirement of 3 years after HS before a player could be drafted (or signed), then you might see this lessen up a bit. Of course, that would mean the NFL and the teams would have to have a development program and we all know they like to maximize profits and development programs like this would most likely either be a loss or a break even for most teams so they probably aren't inclined to do it.

Exactly!!!

Being one of my favorite nostalgia movies I thought it would be cool to watch it with my very proper niece and nephew. Totally forgot about Ronald’s little moment in the bathroom at the party. 04-jawdrop

Sad ending for Amanda Peterson. She was great in that role.
06-07-2021 03:40 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!

Exactly!!!

I ought to send all of you back to Geeksville in a milk carton for discussing 80's teen flicks in here...
06-07-2021 06:38 PM
Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

(06-07-2021 06:38 PM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  
(06-06-2021 01:00 PM)Schaefer Beer Wrote:  It was really terrible the way Quint treated Kenneth for sitting at the cool table especially after when they were 7 years old, Kenneth carried Quint all the way home when he fell out of their tree house and broke hos leg. Kenneth never told anyone that Quint cried the whole home. Oh wait, he did mention that.

Exactly!!!

I ought to send all of you back to Geeksville in a milk carton for discussing 80's teen flicks in here...

Bravo on that line! You are right, I think we talked enough about Can't Buy Me Love.
Let's move and dicuss the girl in Just One of The Guys!03-lol
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2021 07:13 PM by Schaefer Beer.)
06-07-2021 07:12 PM
Advertisement

Beach Boy Offline
Bench Warmer

(06-07-2021 07:12 PM)Schaefer Beer Wrote:  
(06-06-2021 01:09 PM)Big Red Wrote:  Exactly!!!

Bravo on that line! You are right, I think we talked enough about Can't Buy Me Love.

Joyce Hyser (Just One of the Guys) dated Bruce Springsteen for awhile.
06-07-2021 07:27 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(06-07-2021 07:12 PM)Schaefer Beer Wrote:  
(06-06-2021 01:09 PM)Big Red Wrote:  Exactly!!!

Perfect transition!

Another classic movie!
06-07-2021 08:13 PM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

We didnt even get to the fact that the dude who sang - Riccoo Suaveee- was one of the jocks in Can’t buy me love. Now on to 3 O’clock High
06-07-2021 08:26 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

(06-07-2021 03:22 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  

The problem is the players won't want to stay with you regardless of the relationships. If you've developed them to where they think (rightly or wrongly) that they stand a good chance of playing time at a P5, then they leave. We've seen that already. I don't think that is balanced out at all by getting the occasional player at an FCS school that was good at that level. Most of them are not Golloday, and even if they are, we only have them for a couple years, if that.

I'm trying to think, what other successful FCS players have we gotten besides Golladay? We have never had many transfers before, FCS or P5. Hammock has probably brought in more transfers the last two years than we got the five previous years under Carey.
06-07-2021 08:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.