Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Parliamentarian Says Dems Only Get 1 More Chance
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Parliamentarian Says Dems Only Get 1 More Chance
Quote:Senate Parliamentarian Elizabeth MacDonough just dealt a massive blow To Democrats.

MacDonough informed Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, and Joe Biden that only one more automatic budget reconciliation is permissible this year.

The Senate is currently tied at 50-50, but Kamala Harris can cast the tie-breaking vote and give Democrats the majority vote.

Democrats want to end the filibuster so they do not need 60 votes to pass legislation.

If Democrats ended the filibuster, they would only need a 51-vote majority to pass much of Biden’s radical agenda.

MacDonough’s ruling likely just ended all hope for Democrats of being able to end the filibuster — at least in 2021.

MacDonough ruled that a revision to the 2021 budget resolution cannot be automatically discharged from the Senate Budget Committee, meaning Democrats would need at least one Republican on the 11-11 panel to vote with them.

The bombshell ruling effectively means Schumer will be able to use only one more reconciliation vehicle to pass Biden’s key legislative priorities this year.

He will not be able to divide up the $2.3 trillion American Jobs Plan and the $1.8 trillion American Families Plan, as well as Biden’s calls to expand Medicare and lower the price of prescription drugs, into multiple reconciliation packages, as was envisioned only a few weeks ago.

MacDonough wrote:

Unlike the 301 resolution, a section 304 resolution is an optional procedure untethered to the Section 300 structure. There is no deadline for its reporting from the committee or its completion in the Senate.”

That kind of chaos was not at all what was intended with auto-discharge. Rather, the purpose of auto-discharge is to provide an incentive for committee compliance with the law and to provide a remedy when compliance with and through the mandatory processes of the Congressional Budget Act have not been met.

The drafters and early users of 304 uniformly believed that it was to be used in extraordinary circumstances and not for things that should have been or could have been foreseen and handled in a 301 resolution.

The potential for abuse was clear in 1974 and is all the more obvious now. Auto-discharge is not appropriate for a 304 resolution.

There’s even better news: two Senate Democrats have come out against ending the filibuster.

So, it’s practically guaranteed that Democrats can’t end the filibuster.

West Virginia Democrat Sen. Joe Manchin said under “no circumstance” will he support ending the filibuster.

Manchin also said would be “opposed to using the budget reconciliation process, under which certain legislation requires only a majority vote, again to circumvent the filibuster, an avenue Senate Democrats have considered for passing Biden’s ambitious infrastructure package.”

Arizona Democrat Sen. Kyrsten Sinema again defended the Senate filibuster this week.

Sinema said she supports keeping the filibuster because it “protects the democracy of our nation.”

“As folks in Arizona know, I’ve long been a supporter of the filibuster because it is a tool that protects the democracy of our nation, rather than allowing our country to ricochet wildly every two to four years back and forth between policies,” Sinema said.

Link
06-04-2021 12:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Parliamentarian Says Dems Only Get 1 More Chance
womp womp

#BUT MUH POSIT
06-04-2021 01:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BlueDragon Away
Heisman

I Root For: TSU
CP this article reminds me of a guy who grew up Christian but was endoctrinated into becoming an atheist and a Marxist-Leninist. But, after voicing some criticism of his leader Stalin ended up serving 8 years in a Russian prison. He left prison as well as being an Atheist and a Marxist and returned to his faith. Once exiled from Russia Solzhenitsyn wrote this piece.

"You must understand, the leading Bolsheviks who took over Russia were not Russians. They hated Russians. They hated Christians. Driven by ethnic hatred they tortured and slaughtered millions of Russians without a shred of human remorse. It cannot be overstated. Bolshevism committed the greatest human slaughter of all time. The fact that most of the world is ignorant and uncaring about this enormous crime is proof that the global media is in the hands of the perpetrators."

There is a parallel here and the words Progressives MSM and Americans are interchangeable.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2021 02:09 PM by BlueDragon.)
06-04-2021 02:08 PM
swagsurfer11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Efff her. Steamroll.
06-04-2021 02:22 PM
Advertisement

BlueDragon Away
Heisman

I Root For: TSU
(06-04-2021 02:22 PM)swagsurfer11 Wrote:  Efff her. Steamroll.

Spoken like a true Bolshevik
06-04-2021 03:15 PM
Danforth Offline
Banned

I Root For: Oregon
I wonder. Is the filibusterer still the way it used to be where you have to physically stand there and talk for hours?
06-08-2021 09:14 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(06-08-2021 09:14 AM)Danforth Wrote:  I wonder. Is the filibusterer still the way it used to be where you have to physically stand there and talk for hours?

Yes and no.

Yes, you can do a ye olde talky talky filibuster. The last major one was Rand Paul trying to get an answer from the Obama Administration on if they engaged in overseas drone strikes against Americans without due process.

No, you can also just rise and say "I filibuster" and the margin for victory rises to 60.
06-08-2021 09:40 AM
Danforth Offline
Banned

I Root For: Oregon
(06-08-2021 09:40 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(06-08-2021 09:14 AM)Danforth Wrote:  I wonder. Is the filibusterer still the way it used to be where you have to physically stand there and talk for hours?

Yes and no.

Yes, you can do a ye olde talky talky filibuster. The last major one was Rand Paul trying to get an answer from the Obama Administration on if they engaged in overseas drone strikes against Americans without due process.

No, you can also just rise and say "I filibuster" and the margin for victory rises to 60.

That's interesting.

I generally don't think a filibuster is necessary but I suppose if they are going to have one they should at least require for the opposing party to have people stand up and actually complain for hours.
06-08-2021 12:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.