Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News A New Poll Shows We Have the Absolute Worst Allies
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
A New Poll Shows We Have the Absolute Worst Allies
Quote:One of the biggest disagreements of the Trump era, even between members of the right, was how to handle our traditional, European allies. For decades, countries like Germany had refused to pay their pledged amount to NATO while they turned around and spent gobs of money to bolster their welfare programs. Trump took a different approach, absconding from playing nice and instead putting pressure on our allies to help provide for their own defense.

A new poll shows, in my opinion, that Trump was dead on in his pursuit.

You want to know why I’m not nearly as bullish on NATO as I once was (and that’s true for a lot of Republicans)? It’s because these European countries continue to do things that completely contradict the idea that they need us to defend them.

Take the Nordstream 2 pipeline. The Germans are demanding we pay for the lion’s share of NATO’s costs to defend them from Russia while they simultaneously subjugate themselves to Russia for their energy needs. On what planet does that make sense? Because it’s certainly not this one. The basis of any defense is not handing your enemy the ability to destroy you from within.

Dealing with China follows the same logic. How is it even a question of who Europe should “side with” in regards to the technological battle between the U.S. and the communists? But if that’s going to be the attitude, then perhaps Germany and France can call up China and see how much they’d like to contribute to NATO?

Europeans have grown fat and lazy, assuming the U.S. will always be there while they turn around and spit in our faces over a variety of issues. We can’t even count on them to oppose Iran, China, or Russia at this point. Why exactly are we spending billions of dollars on people who despise us? Yeah, yeah, I know, the world order and all that. But perhaps a little tough love would get the Europeans back in the right frame of mind?

This is an issue that isn’t going away nor should it. Blind devotion to allies that continually chose to not act like allies is not virtuous. It’s just being a sucker.

Link

NATO accomplished its mission in 1989. The US kept the Europeans from having wars against each other for the longest stretch ever. Time to let ‘em go at it again.
05-30-2021 12:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
RE: A New Poll Shows We Have the Absolute Worst Allies
Well what do you expect from a bunch of dumba$$es that drag the rest of the world into their wars a couple of times every century.

Then they'll beg us to come bail them out... again.
05-30-2021 12:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
To be so smart, educated, and enlightened it appears a lot of them can’t form, or state, an opinion.
05-30-2021 01:08 PM
Advertisement

BigTigerMike Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Another ‘Trump was right’ moment
05-30-2021 01:12 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(05-30-2021 12:30 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  NATO accomplished its mission in 1989. The US kept the Europeans from having wars against each other for the longest stretch ever. Time to let ‘em go at it again.

Yep. When the Berlin Wall fell, the old order became obsolete. But we didn't shift accordingly.
05-30-2021 01:43 PM
Danforth Offline
Banned

I Root For: Oregon
I agree with Trump on this one.

Let's just pull out and see what happens. That includes Israel.
06-01-2021 02:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.