New ESPN article
05-27-2021 10:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: New ESPN article
. Overwhelmingly white locals who cheered the Bucs' many victories through the years turned on the mostly Black team.

bull****, "Overwhelmingly" is too strong a word, used for the reaction it would get.

I skimmed the rest, seems like a hit piece.
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2021 12:18 PM by RodShaw2.)
05-27-2021 12:08 PM
DaBuc Brass Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ETSU
ESPN makes everything political today. I said the same thing while reading.
05-27-2021 12:22 PM
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

(05-27-2021 12:08 PM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  . Overwhelmingly white locals who cheered the Bucs' many victories through the years turned on the mostly Black team.

bull****, "Overwhelmingly" is too strong a word, used for the reaction it would get.

??? Rod, are you saying this area is NOT overwhelmingly white!?! You may have mis-read that, as if it had a comma after that word "overwhelmingly". It doesn't, so the point is that this area is overwhelmingly white - NOT that they overwhelmingly "turned on" the team.
05-27-2021 12:39 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(05-27-2021 12:39 PM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  
(05-27-2021 12:08 PM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  . Overwhelmingly white locals who cheered the Bucs' many victories through the years turned on the mostly Black team.

??? Rod, are you saying this area is NOT overwhelmingly white!?! You may have mis-read that, as if it had a comma after that word "overwhelmingly". It doesn't, so the point is that this area is overwhelmingly white - NOT that they overwhelmingly "turned on" the team.

Maybe I have overestimated your intelligence and the reason you post such long-winded drivel is to appear smart.
No **** the area is mostly white, Geez, But he did say that they "Overwhelmingly" turned on the team. Read it again, sound it out. That is exactly what he says.
He worded it pretty damn bad, true.
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2021 12:56 PM by RodShaw2.)
05-27-2021 12:54 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The article brought nothing new to the table, he copied and pasted the worst things reported about when it happened into one article. A couple of months late. If you are going to put out an article this late bring something new, not just rehash everything that has been said a dozen times before.
I was just surprised he didn't figure out a way to mention, and they hung an Elephant in Erwin!!
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2021 01:05 PM by RodShaw2.)
05-27-2021 01:03 PM
Advertisement

Heisman

(05-27-2021 12:54 PM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  

Maybe I have overestimated your intelligence and the reason you post such long-winded drivel is to appear smart.
No **** the area is mostly white, Geez, But he did say that they "Overwhelmingly" turned on the team. Read it again, sound it out. That is exactly what he says.

Rod, you're wrong. "Overwhelmingly" is a modifier of "white locals". (And he needed to include that because those outside this area who were unfamiliar with the demographics needed that perspective and context.) We don't know whether said overwhelmingly white locals mostly turned on the team or not. Seems to me, based on comments on this board, letters to the editor, emails and communications released by ETSU, and (a lot of) word of mouth, it may have been about evenly split. In fact, not counting the politicians, it *may* have been more supportive than not. At least that was what I heard.
05-27-2021 01:35 PM
Heisman

Follow-up: but I do agree that there was virtually nothing new there. Could have been written two months ago - and maybe it was, or mostly was.
05-27-2021 01:37 PM
Buc66 Online
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
(05-27-2021 01:03 PM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  The article brought nothing new to the table, he copied and pasted the worst things reported about when it happened into one article. A couple of months late. If you are going to put out an article this late bring something new, not just rehash everything that has been said a dozen times before.
I was just surprised he didn't figure out a way to mention, and they hung an Elephant in Erwin!!

Looks like he’s more interested in trying to keep the fire burning than helping to truly extinguish it and bring real healing. He certainly seems to have an ax to grind. Lifting historical facts out of context, for example, and using them as a sledge hammer casts some doubts on his “objectivity” LOL. Or, isolating ETSU and Johnson City and presenting them as some sort of historic aberration certainly demonstrates his grasp of “fairness” in reporting LOL. This guy eats bias cereal covered in hate milk for breakfast.
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2021 01:46 PM by Buc66.)
05-27-2021 01:40 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(05-27-2021 01:35 PM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  
(05-27-2021 12:54 PM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  

Rod, you're wrong. "Overwhelmingly" is a modifier of "white locals". (And he needed to include that because those outside this area who were unfamiliar with the demographics needed that perspective and context.) We don't know whether said overwhelmingly white locals mostly turned on the team or not. Seems to me, based on comments on this board, letters to the editor, emails and communications released by ETSU, and (a lot of) word of mouth, it may have been about evenly split. In fact, not counting the politicians, it *may* have been more supportive than not. At least that was what I heard.

His wording was piss poor but I am sure he only meant 2 or 3 of the Overwhelming
"white locals" (which is where I stopped reading above BTW). No dude he what he was implying is clear.
The new rule now I will just skip everything. no matter the length, 1 sentence really isn't worth my time.

Feel free to ignore my posts. This board is sometimes a source of information.
I don't come for other people's opinions, I doubt anyone comes for mine,
05-27-2021 03:34 PM
Heisman

I think your laziness in posting has now bled over into your reading. Not even reading something fully, and then blasting it is just not good 'journalism' (LOL).
You only want to see a couple of (abbreviated) sentences, with poor (or no) proper punctuation, and then draw your quick conclusions. Far more times than not, that'll work. This time, it didn't.

I don't want to ignore you posts, because you post (mostly) good, insightful, and relevant information and commentary. You're just off base on this one, and off base on criticizing me. Like you, I've got a thick skin, so no big deal.
05-27-2021 05:08 PM
Advertisement

kevster Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Bucs!!! Back
[/quote]

I don’t know why I even feel the need to become a part of this, but the editor in me is coming out. Seeing that I publish and edit books for best selling authors for a living, I’m pretty good at knowing what a sentence means. The writer was writing that the area is overwhelmingly white. There was no inference that they overwhelmingly turned on the team. I would know if there was.

It was a balanced story. It was not a hack job. I would also know that, being an expert on such things. However, as Mark Twain once said, it is nearly impossible to get the unintelligent to understand anything.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2021 03:18 PM by kevster.)
05-29-2021 03:17 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Quote:
(05-29-2021 03:17 PM)kevster Wrote:  Maybe I have overestimated your intelligence and the reason you post such long-winded drivel is to appear smart.

I don’t know why I even feel the need to become a part of this, but the editor in me is coming out. Seeing that I publish and edit books for best selling authors for a living, I’m pretty good at knowing what a sentence means. The writer was writing that the area is overwhelmingly white. There was no inference that they overwhelmingly turned on the team. I would know if there was.

It was a balanced story. It was not a hack job. I would also know that, being an expert on such things. However, as Mark Twain once said, it is nearly impossible to get the unintelligent to understand anything.

I had a response but you know I realized who cares? I have no clue you are and if you are an expert and I don't care. I don't know you, your opinion means nothing to me so pat yourself on the back for being so smart using that Mark Twain quote, good job.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2021 03:53 PM by RodShaw2.)
05-29-2021 03:53 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Lol, can't wait I am sure that pissed some people off.
I really am a doctor, I really am this, I really am that.
Cool, not like anybody has ever lied on a messageboard.
Take this messageboard itself, for example, Marky claimed to be a journalist for years. (still does)
You are a random name on a messageboard about ETSU sports.
I don't know any of you, I have no desire to meet any of you.
If you hear a rumor or fact about ETSU, share it, that is what I care about.
05-29-2021 03:59 PM
Heisman

Rod, again, you're just wrong about this. If he meant what you *think* he meant, or what you are trying to paint him as meaning.........then there would have been a comma there. It's really that simple.

Good gracious, you're getting nearly as bad as Marky Mark at admitting when you're wrong.

And Kevster, he's definitely not "unintelligent", but so rough around the edges that he gives those who don't follow his comments over time that impression.
And Rod, you know I've not tried to be the grammar police around here. Nor has anyone else. Proper grammar, while nice, and proper editing, while nice, are not required to get your message across - usually. But they sure help at times like this.

And yes, it was a balanced story. Certainly trying to touch on the key point that racism exists here - and while that's not news to us, it may be to someone in Peoria, Amarillo, or San Diego.
05-29-2021 04:03 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(05-29-2021 04:03 PM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  Rod, again, you're just wrong about this. If he meant what you *think* he meant, or what you are trying to paint him as meaning.........then there would have been a comma there. It's really that simple.

Good gracious, you're getting nearly as bad as Marky Mark at admitting when you're wrong.

And Kevster, he's definitely not "unintelligent", but so rough around the edges that he gives those who don't follow his comments over time that impression.
And Rod, you know I've not tried to be the grammar police around here. Nor has anyone else. Proper grammar, while nice, and proper editing, while nice, are not required to get your message across - usually. But they sure help at times like this.

And yes, it was a balanced story. Certainly trying to touch on the key point that racism exists here - and while that's not news to us, it may be to someone in Peoria, Amarillo, or San Diego.

Why do you bother to keep responding to my messages?
I have told you I am not going to read them. I am sure this was another lecture,
About being nicer? no clue.
Save yourself time and effort.
05-29-2021 04:15 PM
Advertisement

Buc66 Online
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
(05-29-2021 04:03 PM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  Rod, again, you're just wrong about this. If he meant what you *think* he meant, or what you are trying to paint him as meaning.........then there would have been a comma there. It's really that simple.

Wrong. He did his best to insinuate that the Johnson City, TN area, including East Tennessee State University, has an unusual brand of racism not seen in other places, still lingering beyond that of other places in 2021, thus ignoring the rest of the historic Southeast, even the rest of the country, as contextual reference. For example, he stated that ETSU did not integrate until 1957. The Tommy Woods reference implied that Mr Woods was essentially the only black player to be discriminated against in that era. He failed to mention that the Ohio Valley Conference and ETSU led the way in integrating Southeastern college athletics during that transitional era. And, how far along with overall integration were other colleges in the Southeast in 1957? Has this guy never heard of George Wallace at the University of Alabama in 1963? Come on. This was not a balanced story, just some trimmings around the edges to give it appearances. It was a classic passive aggressive hit job.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2021 05:20 PM by Buc66.)
05-30-2021 05:06 PM
Efan Offline
Special Teams

(05-30-2021 05:06 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  

Wrong. He did his best to insinuate that the Johnson City, TN area, including East Tennessee State University, has an unusual brand of racism not seen in other places, still lingering beyond that of other places in 2021, thus ignoring the rest of the historic Southeast, even the rest of the country, as contextual reference. For example, he stated that ETSU did not integrate until 1957. The Tommy Woods reference implied that Mr Woods was essentially the only black player to be discriminated against in that era. He failed to mention that the Ohio Valley Conference and ETSU led the way in integrating Southeastern college athletics during that transitional era. And, how far along with overall integration were other colleges in the Southeast in 1957? Has this guy never heard of George Wallace at the University of Alabama in 1963? Come on. This was not a balanced story, just some trimmings around the edges to give it appearances. It was a classic passive aggressive hit job.

Completely agree, Buc66. If you think racism in Johnson City is any worse than Tampa, St Louis, LA, Minneapolis, or anywhere else, then you’re an idiot. All these places need work, including Johnson City. And Ed Wolff was not the guy to talk to for an objective or expert opinion. Talk about a major agenda. We’d be a socialist nation if he was in charge.
05-30-2021 10:06 PM
Heisman

I'm sure you all will disagree, but I don't think he was singling out Johnson City and ETSU. This location just happened to be the local flash point. It could have been Boone, Blacksburg (less likely there), Cullowhee, or other places in the south with similar demographics. And that's a key point. Upper East TN, as we all know, is one of the reddest districts in all of the U.S. - and those attitudes were reflected in the blowback from the protests. And to be clear, I'm not editorializing here - just observing. But I think it's a relevant point.

I think these two quotes show a reasonable attempt to point out that it's *not* just Johnson City and ETSU:

"ETSU HAS A difficult racial history, not unlike Johnson City or, for that matter, America itself."

" 'It did highlight the polarization that is not only here but all over the country," Stephanie McClellan, editor of the Johnson City Press, said in an interview."

As Efan correctly points out, ALL those other places need 'work', too. I've traveled around this country a good deal. Like A LOT. Do I think racism is worse here than most other places? No, not really, but the fact remains that such kneeling was done in other places, and the reaction wasn't as strong (excepting Bluefield). It's hard to easily explain that away.
05-31-2021 12:21 PM
squeak Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I'm guessing when you travel you don't spend much time in some of the higher crime areas of the places you visit. I've most likely spent the other side of 3000 nights in hotels all over this world, so that should give you an idea of how much I get away from East Tennessee. To suggest this area is racist is pretty unenlightened and naive. Most on here likely form opinions based on what spectrum their politics fall. I have been caught numerous times in areas where intimidation and discrimination were unleashed upon me, yet I don't think of those towns as racist, just certain areas. It's no different here in Johnson City. We all know there are certain parts of town you're more likely to find trouble than not. It's no different when you are out in the rural areas. Reading some of these comments tells me a lot of you write pretty, but it also tells me how far some of you venture from this area and the computer.
05-31-2021 01:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.