Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News The Nation’s Report Card Just Came Out, And It’s Incredibly Depressing
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
The Nation’s Report Card Just Came Out, And It’s Incredibly Depressing
Quote:Reading, science, and math scores decreased among multiple grade levels over the course of the two-to-four years leading up to 2019, according to the Nation’s Report Card.

Reading scores among fourth-graders decreased by one point and three points among eighth-graders between 2017 and 2019, and two points among twelfth-graders between 2015 and 2019, the report, conducted by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) showed. Released Tuesday, the report includes both public and non-public schools.

“Once again, the lowest-performing students are falling further behind,” Peggy G. Carr, the associate commissioner of assessments at NCES said, according to a press release. “This is a repeated pattern across multiple subjects and grade levels. We need a renewed focus on the educational needs of our struggling students.”

Eighth-grade reading scores, which saw the greatest decrease, placed the national average at the “basic” level. There are three achievement levels: basic, proficient, and advanced.

Fourth-graders saw an average decline by two points in science between 2015 and 2019. The score is only one point higher than the first assessment year a decade earlier and places the nation’s students at the “basic” level.

Although twelfth-graders showed no significant change in overall scores, Lynn Woodworth, the commissioner of NCES, said there were declines in “specific content areas.” Scores for the lowest-performing students declined in the subjects of physical and life sciences.

“Perhaps more troubling is that, compared to earlier grades, higher percentages of high school seniors—about four in 10—are unlikely to know key principles, facts, laws, and theories in science. Far too many students will leave high school with only passing familiarity of science fundamentals,” the statement said.

However, fourth-graders had a one-point increase in math between 2017 and 2019, an improvement that nudged the national average closer to a “proficient” achievement level. The minimum for a “basic” score is 214, and the national average was at 241, eight points short of the “proficient” level.

While fourth graders saw an improvement in math, eighth-graders fell behind their 2017 score by one point in 2019, dropping from 283 to 282, placing the grade in the “basic” level.

Eighth-grade girls also closed the science “gender gap” for the first time in 2019 after fourth-grade girls previously closed it in 2015. Achievement gaps narrowed between fourth-grade white students and black, Hispanic, American Indian/Alaska Native students, and students of two or more races, according to the report, meaning these students on average scored the same as their white peers.

Link
05-27-2021 11:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
RE: The Nation’s Report Card Just Came Out, And It’s Incredibly Depressing
Thanks for nothing, trump and DeVos!
05-27-2021 11:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eldonabe Offline
No More Wire Hangars!

I Root For: All but Uconn
(05-27-2021 11:16 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  Thanks for nothing, trump and DeVos!

Classic case of the Coach getting much credit and too much blame..... and (shockingly) ComTom is doling it out.

Readin' Writin' & 'Rithmatic are the most basic of skills that all US children should learn. There are a dozen or more factors contributing to these declines - none of which have anything to do with Trump Devos, or ANY of the people who preceded them.

Most of the reasons start right at home. More and more parents are uninvolved (or ate the very least less involved) in their kids education. They don't keep track of what is going on and they don't push their kids to do it. They are too busy and tired to deal with it so it is all on the teacher's to motivate these kids and without parental incentive (like a good asswhoopin') kids are not going to pay attention to what a teacher has to say.

I am finally past all of the child raising stuff, but I can tell you it amazes me how little parents are involved. Even 10 years ago now, little things like Parent Teacher conferences are virtually unattended. I would go see all their teachers for updates and I never waited, and nobody ever waited for me to finish because nobody was there. That to me is a very sad statement on where parents and children are headed.

There is a direct correlation between students who perform well in school and parents who are very active in their lives.

That - ComTom - has Zero-Point-Zero percent to do with Trump and Devos.
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2021 11:38 AM by Eldonabe.)
05-27-2021 11:36 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(05-27-2021 11:36 AM)Eldonabe Wrote:  

Classic case of the Coach getting much credit and too much blame..... and (shockingly) ComTom is doling it out.

Readin' Writin' & 'Rithmatic are the most basic of skills that all US children should learn. There are a dozen or more factors contributing to these declines - none of which have anything to do with Trump Devos, or ANY of the people who preceded them.

Most of the reasons start right at home. More and more parents are uninvolved (or ate the very least less involved) in their kids education. They don't keep track of what is going on and they don't push their kids to do it. They are too busy and tired to deal with it so it is all on the teacher's to motivate these kids and without parental incentive (like a good asswhoopin') kids are not going to pay attention to what a teacher has to say.

I am finally past all of the child raising stuff, but I can tell you it amazes me how little parents are involved. Even 10 years ago now, little things like Parent Teacher conferences are virtually unattended. I would go see all their teachers for updates and I never waited, and nobody ever waited for me to finish because nobody was there. That to me is a very sad statement on where parents and children are headed.

There is a direct correlation between students who perform well in school and parents who are very active in their lives.

Woke local school boards. Probably would have been worse without President Trump and DeVos slowing down the slide to irrelevancy.
05-27-2021 12:06 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
Give out vouchers and let parents put their kids where they want to. Problem solved.
05-27-2021 12:24 PM
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
(05-27-2021 12:24 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  Give out vouchers and let parents put their kids where they want to. Problem solved.

They will never relinquish their control over the young minds full of mush willingly.
05-27-2021 12:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame

Depends on your kids. I haven't been to a teacher parent conference since my kids were in Kindergarden. Heck, I've never even been in their Middle School building. Luckily they are self starters.

I do agree with lack of parental involvement as a whole though. My wife ran into that when she was a class Mom years ago. Maybe 25% participation on things like class parties and we are the "#1 public school system in the state".
05-27-2021 12:35 PM
Jugnaut Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
Common core and liberals intentionally trying to dump down the electorate.
05-27-2021 01:25 PM
Eldonabe Offline
No More Wire Hangars!

I Root For: All but Uconn
(05-27-2021 12:35 PM)fsquid Wrote:  

Depends on your kids. I haven't been to a teacher parent conference since my kids were in Kindergarden. Heck, I've never even been in their Middle School building. Luckily they are self starters.

I do agree with lack of parental involvement as a whole though. My wife ran into that when she was a class Mom years ago. Maybe 25% participation on things like class parties and we are the "#1 public school system in the state".

You are lucky and there are always exceptions to the rule. Some kids don't need the push or oversight from parents, but most do and most will thrive with it. On the flip side, some kids will also rebell when their parents try to push - again exceptions to the rule.

When teachers have to spend more time on discipline then they do teaching - things are going to go south.

If my kids was a discipline problem in school, they would not have been able to sit for a week. Luckily my kids were all good students and my ex wife and I stayed involved the whole way through - it was about the only thing she and I agreed on :-)
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2021 01:49 PM by Eldonabe.)
05-27-2021 01:28 PM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
We have spent the last 40 years blaming teachers, funding, and parents. As adults and parents we all want to believe we can fix this problem.

Perhaps we can't.

It is time to put the blame on the students. Learning is simply not vouge. That is the core of the problem. It has been for some time.
05-27-2021 01:36 PM
No2rdame Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis, ND
Whew, I'm glad most school boards are doing everything they can to rectify this. I'm sure pushing critical race theory, making sure we have enough plastic shields, face diapers, and zoom calls to ensure kids are isolated, and renaming any school that even one person might find offensive will be paying dividends very soon.
05-27-2021 01:42 PM
Advertisement

No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
(05-27-2021 11:11 AM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  
Quote:Reading, science, and math scores decreased among multiple grade levels over the course of the two-to-four years leading up to 2019, according to the Nation’s Report Card.

Reading scores among fourth-graders decreased by one point and three points among eighth-graders between 2017 and 2019, and two points among twelfth-graders between 2015 and 2019, the report, conducted by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) showed. Released Tuesday, the report includes both public and non-public schools.

“Once again, the lowest-performing students are falling further behind,” Peggy G. Carr, the associate commissioner of assessments at NCES said, according to a press release. “This is a repeated pattern across multiple subjects and grade levels. We need a renewed focus on the educational needs of our struggling students.”

Eighth-grade reading scores, which saw the greatest decrease, placed the national average at the “basic” level. There are three achievement levels: basic, proficient, and advanced.

Fourth-graders saw an average decline by two points in science between 2015 and 2019. The score is only one point higher than the first assessment year a decade earlier and places the nation’s students at the “basic” level.

Although twelfth-graders showed no significant change in overall scores, Lynn Woodworth, the commissioner of NCES, said there were declines in “specific content areas.” Scores for the lowest-performing students declined in the subjects of physical and life sciences.

“Perhaps more troubling is that, compared to earlier grades, higher percentages of high school seniors—about four in 10—are unlikely to know key principles, facts, laws, and theories in science. Far too many students will leave high school with only passing familiarity of science fundamentals,” the statement said.

However, fourth-graders had a one-point increase in math between 2017 and 2019, an improvement that nudged the national average closer to a “proficient” achievement level. The minimum for a “basic” score is 214, and the national average was at 241, eight points short of the “proficient” level.

While fourth graders saw an improvement in math, eighth-graders fell behind their 2017 score by one point in 2019, dropping from 283 to 282, placing the grade in the “basic” level.

Eighth-grade girls also closed the science “gender gap” for the first time in 2019 after fourth-grade girls previously closed it in 2015. Achievement gaps narrowed between fourth-grade white students and black, Hispanic, American Indian/Alaska Native students, and students of two or more races, according to the report, meaning these students on average scored the same as their white peers.

Link

Very depressing.
05-27-2021 01:43 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
Our teachers need to spend more time teaching fundamentals instead of pushing their social justice agenda. No doubt we are starting to see the beginnings of their plan to dumb down overall student achievement in order to pander to the lowest performers.
05-27-2021 01:45 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
(05-27-2021 01:45 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Our teachers need to spend more time teaching fundamentals instead of pushing their social justice agenda. No doubt we are starting to see the beginnings of their plan to dumb down overall student achievement in order to pander to the lowest performers.

One thing you have to give the dims, they are consistent. They've been going about refining the process of churning out uneducated automatons for a couple of decades and it looks as if it's starting to work out well for the left.
05-27-2021 02:05 PM
Oman Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis !!

i'm sure it will improve now... just wait 4 more years
05-27-2021 02:42 PM
swagsurfer11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Damn! Biden hasn't fixed that yet?
05-27-2021 02:50 PM
Advertisement

CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

(05-27-2021 01:45 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Our teachers need to spend more time teaching fundamentals instead of pushing their social justice agenda. No doubt we are starting to see the beginnings of their plan to dumb down overall student achievement in order to pander to the lowest performers.

Priorities:

Exposed Emails Show School Principal Scheming to Silence "Wacko" Parents After they Reject CRT Curriculum

Biden Education Department Encouraged Schools To Use COVID Relief Funds On ‘Social Emotional Learning’

Black Mother Rips All-White School Board Over Relentless Focus On Race

[Image: Racism.jpg?auto=format&fit=crop&...;amp;dpr=1]

Quote:Watching parents destroy local school boards is always enjoyable. Your heart goes out to the parents, but it's still satisfying seeing useless elected officials get wrecked for being useless. Facebook "fact" checkers can exhale because unlike some recent examples, this doesn't have to do with the pandemic. It does however have to do with critical race theory and the pathetic way officials pander in the name proving how "anti-racist" they are.

It would appear the board was discussing a proclamation to signal their virtue on how Asian American hate is a bad thing. Though apparently not as bad as when liberals thought they could blame it on white Trump supporters. Asra Nomani, a self-described Muslim feminist and anti-CRT liberal, was less than impressed. She then proceeded to put the Fairfax school board on blast member by member.

I sit here listening to these EMPTY proclamations and declarations that you're making about your "great value" of Asian Americans. You tell us about you going ... to Japanese restaurants? ... Just a few weeks ago in "social emotional learning" at TJ, our students were told that if they do salsa dancing, it amounts to cultural appropriation and that they needed to"check their racism," and that is our MOSTLY MINORITY, MOSTLY ASIAN students. And so your empty proclamations are just that.
I wish I could have seen the faces of the school board as she made them cry mean-girl tears. I'm willing to bet at least a few of them were mayonnaise-looking crackers. Who most likely enjoy mayonnaise on crackers.

What's most important isn't the topic as much as this video hopefully inspiring you. Her specific complaints don't matter as much as her having the lady balls to show up and say something about it. Leftists are coming for your kids in one form or another: CRT, mask mandates, boys in girls' sports, replacing Steak-um Tuesday with vegan gruel, etc. They can only get away with it if parents don't get informed, get involved, and speak out.

It's easy to get distracted by national politics. But the more local the politics are, the more important it is to you and your family.

Link

05-27-2021 03:00 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

05-27-2021 04:13 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
(05-27-2021 02:50 PM)swagsurfer11 Wrote:  Damn! Biden hasn't fixed that yet?

I don’t believe “fixed” is the word you’re looking for.
05-27-2021 04:54 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

(This post was last modified: 05-27-2021 07:00 PM by CrimsonPhantom.)
05-27-2021 06:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.