Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

College football wasteland
WRCisforgotten79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice
Exclamation College football wasteland
This article describes the open recruiting of other schools' football rosters.
05-24-2021 03:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Texasowl Online
1st String

I Root For: Rice University
RE: College football wasteland
Great article but not surprising. I wonder what will happen when colleges start paying players. Good bye amateur sports.
05-24-2021 04:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WRCisforgotten79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-24-2021 04:54 PM)Texasowl Wrote:  Great article but not surprising. I wonder what will happen when colleges start paying players. Good bye amateur sports.

They already are being paid with "cost of attendance".
05-24-2021 06:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
franklyconfused Offline
Special Teams

(05-24-2021 06:24 PM)WRCisforgotten79 Wrote:  
(05-24-2021 04:54 PM)Texasowl Wrote:  Great article but not surprising. I wonder what will happen when colleges start paying players. Good bye amateur sports.

The floodgates are gonna open in the next few years as name and likeness rights transfer to the players. Heisman prospects will start getting paid better than most NFL rookies.
05-24-2021 06:30 PM
Advertisement

WRCisforgotten79 Offline
Hall of Famer

And national powerhouse HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL programs are starting a league for next semester.

You know - the usual suspects: Oak Hill, Montverde, IMG Academy (Florida), La Lumiere School (Indiana), Sunrise Christian Academy (Kansas) and Wasatch Academy (Utah), plus two more to be named later.

Article
05-24-2021 06:55 PM
Owl Is In Chains Offline
2nd String

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-s...195301.php

Nice quotes from Kelvin Sampson on the transfer portal for basketball. He compares it to a Walmart SuperCenter where you can get anything and says they would not have had a losing record his first year if it existed then.
05-25-2021 01:52 PM
bigowlsfan Offline
2nd String

Overtime Sports has already signed 4 basketball kids for this fall, HS class of 2023, with a stated goal of 30 kids in all, every year. They will only train for the pros, and are giving up their HS and college eligibility and will get paid 6 figures and taught things while not training and playing that an NBA player needs to build his brand (instead of sociology, or astronomy, or whatever they might take in their one semester of college). This will be the end of the one and done's; if you are in that talent range, you don't even go to college for that one semester, when you can earn a lot more and train and prepare more at a private academy.

I think ESPN is picking up their games on TV, and of course the shoe sponsors have announced their presence.
05-25-2021 02:42 PM
Advertisement

Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
(05-25-2021 02:42 PM)bigowlsfan Wrote:  Overtime Sports has already signed 4 basketball kids for this fall, HS class of 2023, with a stated goal of 30 kids in all, every year. They will only train for the pros, and are giving up their HS and college eligibility and will get paid 6 figures and taught things while not training and playing that an NBA player needs to build his brand (instead of sociology, or astronomy, or whatever they might take in their one semester of college). This will be the end of the one and done's; if you are in that talent range, you don't even go to college for that one semester, when you can earn a lot more and train and prepare more at a private academy.

I think ESPN is picking up their games on TV, and of course the shoe sponsors have announced their presence.

Hopefully this will go part ways to leveling the playing field for college basketball and true student athletes. If those players only interested in pro ball don’t have to pretend to be students, it should be a good thing for student athletes and competitive college basketball.
05-25-2021 02:53 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
(05-25-2021 02:53 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  
(05-25-2021 02:42 PM)bigowlsfan Wrote:  Overtime Sports has already signed 4 basketball kids for this fall, HS class of 2023, with a stated goal of 30 kids in all, every year. They will only train for the pros, and are giving up their HS and college eligibility and will get paid 6 figures and taught things while not training and playing that an NBA player needs to build his brand (instead of sociology, or astronomy, or whatever they might take in their one semester of college). This will be the end of the one and done's; if you are in that talent range, you don't even go to college for that one semester, when you can earn a lot more and train and prepare more at a private academy.

Hopefully this will go part ways to leveling the playing field for college basketball and true student athletes. If those players only interested in pro ball don’t have to pretend to be students, it should be a good thing for student athletes and competitive college basketball.

That's certainly the upside.

The downside will be if there's less interest in college basketball overall because so many of its "stars" will not be good enough to "play at the next level" ... as today's network announcers/commentators seem far too focused on rather than the games in front of them.

But this future would absolutely be better for Rice-type student athletes and teams.
05-25-2021 04:51 PM
Texasowl Online
1st String

I Root For: Rice University
That is so sad. Sounds like child abuse and the parent or parents or so stupid.

01-lauramac2
05-25-2021 10:50 PM
Advertisement

nightowl24 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(05-25-2021 10:50 PM)Texasowl Wrote:  That is so sad. Sounds like child abuse and the parent or parents or so stupid.

01-lauramac2

So if you had an 15y/o kid that has shown to be the one of the best chemists in the world and a school calls saying they have a curriculum that is geared directly and specifically towards enhancing his ability to an even better chemist with some of the best teachers assembled in the chemistry world. You would only take classes and learn techniques that are directly geared towards working at a top research lab and when not taking those classes you would also take classes about money management and know how to trademark your discoveries and techniques and how to sell them properly. At the end of attending this academy they are guaranteeing you a multi-million dollar contract working for one of the best research labs in the world. All the while your kid is attending this academy they are promising them a 100K salary during your stay there(regardless if you actually get one of those multi-million dollar jobs you still are pocketing 300-400K AND have the best research skills in the country).....you telling me that you would tell your kid to go to a regular school that isn't going to teach these techniques and classes, you aren't making any money at all, and then to go to college? Understand that your child would essentially be 3-6yrs behind those kids that have shown the same promise as yours in the same areas. Again just so where clear you telling me this would be considered child abuse and a stupid parent for putting their child in that academy?
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2021 09:02 AM by nightowl24.)
05-26-2021 09:02 AM
Seventyniner Offline
1st String

(05-26-2021 09:02 AM)nightowl24 Wrote:  
(05-25-2021 10:50 PM)Texasowl Wrote:  That is so sad. Sounds like child abuse and the parent or parents or so stupid.

01-lauramac2

So if you had an 15y/o kid that has shown to be the one of the best chemists in the world and a school calls saying they have a curriculum that is geared directly and specifically towards enhancing his ability to an even better chemist with some of the best teachers assembled in the chemistry world. You would only take classes and learn techniques that are directly geared towards working at a top research lab and when not taking those classes you would also take classes about money management and know how to trademark your discoveries and techniques and how to sell them properly. At the end of attending this academy they are guaranteeing you a multi-million dollar contract working for one of the best research labs in the world. All the while your kid is attending this academy they are promising them a 100K salary during your stay there(regardless if you actually get one of those multi-million dollar jobs you still are pocketing 300-400K AND have the best research skills in the country).....you telling me that you would tell your kid to go to a regular school that isn't going to teach these techniques and classes, you aren't making any money at all, and then to go to college? Understand that your child would essentially be 3-6yrs behind those kids that have shown the same promise as yours in the same areas. Again just so where clear you telling me this would be considered child abuse and a stupid parent for putting their child in that academy?

I see your point and agree with it, but the bolded part isn't really right. There are only 30 first-round draft picks every year in the NBA, and while this academy has its goal of accepting 30 players per year, I can't imagine all 30 first-round picks will come from that academy every year. Many academy players will be second-round picks (which don't get guaranteed salaries) or even go undrafted, and could be forced to go overseas to have a professional career (where multi-million dollar salaries are harder to come by).

Still, that's at least as good an outcome as playing college ball and has the additional benefit of the money they earn while at the academy.

I do wonder where the money to pay the players will come from. Television rights and shoe sponsors were mentioned, and those make perfect sense, but will it be enough? If not, the academy might also try to get their players to sign contracts which fork over a percentage of future earnings and that could get thorny.

I would like to see this tried for football too, though while there are far more available spots in the NFL they have a rather lower career earnings rate than basketball players due to non-guaranteed contracts, higher injury rates, and a lack of other professional leagues.
05-26-2021 09:31 AM
nightowl24 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(05-26-2021 09:31 AM)Seventyniner Wrote:  
(05-26-2021 09:02 AM)nightowl24 Wrote:  

01-lauramac2

I see your point and agree with it, but the bolded part isn't really right. There are only 30 first-round draft picks every year in the NBA, and while this academy has its goal of accepting 30 players per year, I can't imagine all 30 first-round picks will come from that academy every year. Many academy players will be second-round picks (which don't get guaranteed salaries) or even go undrafted, and could be forced to go overseas to have a professional career (where multi-million dollar salaries are harder to come by).

Still, that's at least as good an outcome as playing college ball and has the additional benefit of the money they earn while at the academy.

I do wonder where the money to pay the players will come from. Television rights and shoe sponsors were mentioned, and those make perfect sense, but will it be enough? If not, the academy might also try to get their players to sign contracts which fork over a percentage of future earnings and that could get thorny.

I would like to see this tried for football too, though while there are far more available spots in the NFL they have a rather lower career earnings rate than basketball players due to non-guaranteed contracts, higher injury rates, and a lack of other professional leagues.

I understand your point with regard to the money portion. In today's NBA 2nd rd draft picks are signing multi-million dollar contracts(it may be only 2mil, but that's multi-million dollars). Also understand that many of these kids aren't coming from homes grossing 100K plus a year, even if they go over seas and are making 70K, then come over here and catch on to a team and is making 600k, that's more than they ever had flowing through their homes as a kid.

I'm not saying it is perfect, I haven't done the research on it totally. Yes it would need some form of vetting to ensure it would actually be a viable choice. My issue is people see athletes that are making decisions solely off of athletic ability and their chances to play a game and they judge them. They judge their parents for wanting to do what's best for them and to give them the best opportunity possible to make as much money as possible through something they are great at. then someone says that's child abuse and the parents are stupid. Which is why I chose to approach it from the academ part, cause no one EVER sees a problem with that. no one looks at these 15y/o college graduates that go on to be dr's at age 20 and surgeons by 24. we marvel at how awesome they are and how their parents cultivated their success through support and allowed them to challenge themselves to be great. Then when it is an athlete judgement comes, why are you letting that child be around grown men/women, you're stupid for not letting them be a kid, you're taking their childhood away, etc.

One thing anyone can tell you about me is i'm fair and balanced. if someone says that we shouldn't let underaged kids into college then i'm good with someone saying it's stupid to let underaged kids go be professional athletes. but if you have no problem with kids being pushed and molded at STEM academies that only cater to those disciplines and set them up for career success through their programs, then don't look at these kids and say their dumb for doing the same thing, trying to set themselves up for career success. just because theirs is a game doesn't make it any less viable or important.

last thing....in my graduating class from hs we had the most ever get accepted into rice, 5. Out of the five 2 of us graduated...i'm moving up the ranks in education the other is a dr. the other 3 dropped out and imploded from the years of pressure from grade school into college of being great all the time. NONE of the 3 even graduated from ANY college. so just like athletes can have career ending injuries academs can have career ending "injuries" as well. its all one in the same so we have to stop looking at them through different eyes.
05-26-2021 12:23 PM
Advertisement

georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(05-25-2021 04:51 PM)Almadenmike Wrote:  

The downside will be if there's less interest in college basketball overall because so many of its "stars" will not be good enough to "play at the next level" ... as today's network announcers/commentators seem far too focused on rather than the games in front of them.

But this future would absolutely be better for Rice-type student athletes and teams.

In other words, the development of professional minor league basketball would tend to make college basketball more like college baseball. That seems like a good (and right) thing for college basketball.

Back in the late 1990s, I and many others noted that one of the best things about college baseball -- both for Rice's relative competitiveness and for the appeal of the sport as a whole -- is that good players who have no interest in college have a viable alternative path to the pros. All sports should be like that.
05-26-2021 12:38 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
(05-26-2021 12:38 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  
(05-25-2021 04:51 PM)Almadenmike Wrote:  

In other words, the development of professional minor league basketball would tend to make college basketball more like college baseball. That seems like a good (and right) thing for college basketball.

Back in the late 1990s, I and many others noted that one of the best things about college baseball -- both for Rice's relative competitiveness and for the appeal of the sport as a whole -- is that good players who have no interest in college have a viable alternative path to the pros. All sports should be like that.

Yep! That's where I think college sports will be headed if the elite sports academy model takes hold in basketball ... and football.
05-26-2021 02:19 PM
Musicowl1965 Offline
2nd String

(05-24-2021 06:24 PM)WRCisforgotten79 Wrote:  

Only for very few sports. Even "Full" scholarships are rarely "cost of attendance". Inroads have been made to help with this with some schools, even Rice, paying a stipend each semester. Not enough IMO but at least the effort was there. If a stud pitcher can get extra money from likeness etc. when he's on a 40% scholly then more power to them.
05-26-2021 02:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.