UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Marshall won the NCAA National Championship in soccer last night.
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Marshall won the NCAA National Championship in soccer last night.
Beat Indiana in overtime 1-0

Good win for our CUSA brethren.
05-18-2021 07:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MAN4UAB Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
RE: Marshall won the NCAA National Championship in soccer last night.
I understand that it is the first National Championship won by a member of CUSA.
05-18-2021 08:28 AM
C-Finder Offline
All American

Congrats on winning the championship in (real) football04-cheers
05-18-2021 08:51 AM
BlazinBham Offline
Banned

Good for them. Still waiting on the great success our facility is supposed to bring us.
05-18-2021 11:08 AM
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

05-18-2021 01:21 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Awesome!
05-18-2021 08:43 PM
Advertisement

HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Serious question: What happened to UAB soccer, when Marshall got to CUSA UAB was doing pretty good and 5 or 6 years ago it was like you just fell off a cliff and have never climbed back up.
05-19-2021 10:43 PM
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

(05-19-2021 10:43 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  Serious question: What happened to UAB soccer, when Marshall got to CUSA UAB was doing pretty good and 5 or 6 years ago it was like you just fell off a cliff and have never climbed back up.

I don’t know. Years ago we were always ranked and playing in the NCAA Tournament - even hosting games. Our facilities are outstanding. Our soccer - not so much.
05-19-2021 10:49 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(05-19-2021 10:43 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  Serious question: What happened to UAB soccer, when Marshall got to CUSA UAB was doing pretty good and 5 or 6 years ago it was like you just fell off a cliff and have never climbed back up.

It’s really quite inexplicable. The former coach was solid for years, but things really spiraled out of control at the end for whatever reason. I believe he was really lazy recruiting local talent, as he rarely left the metro area.(Birmingham does typically have good soccer talent, but there is more throughout the state). I’m hoping we can get our stuff together though, because men’s soccer has typically been one of the best programs at UAB.
05-20-2021 07:53 AM
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2

I’ll never forget being an OT loss away from the Final 4 (in a home loss to Santa Clara).
It’s been downhill since
05-20-2021 08:34 AM
UAB Schnauzer Offline
1st String

The last time we made the NCAA’s was 2014. I do not think that is a coincidence
05-20-2021 10:14 AM
Advertisement

DuelingDragon Offline
All American

(05-20-2021 10:14 AM)UAB Schnauzer Wrote:  The last time we made the NCAA’s was 2014. I do not think that is a coincidence

Can you elaborate?
05-20-2021 10:51 AM
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
2014 is when some assclowns tried to terminate our athletics program. It's not a coincidence that the vast majority of coaching staffs that were on hand in 2014 are no longer at UAB, and that the UAB lifers who were vocal critics of the things that were going on were the first to go.
05-20-2021 11:23 AM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

Marshall took down a lot of soccer royalty in the NCAAs:

Marshall's March To The National Title
#23 Fordham- Undefeated coming into the NCAAs -- Marshall 2-1 in OT, Golden Goal by Milo Yosef at the 96:41 mark of the first OT
#1 and 1 seed Clemson- The top ranked team in the nation at 14-2-3 -- Marshall 1 Clemson 1 after 2 OT -- Marshall advances on PKs 7-6
#7 and 8 seed Georgetown- Georgetown was the Defending National Champions -- Marshall 1-0, Goal by Jamil Roberts at the 20:05 mark in the 2nd period
#16 and unseeded North Carolina- UNC had made the College Cup semis the last 3 of 4 years -- Marshall 1-0, Goal by Jamil Roberts at the 30:22 mark in the 2nd period
#3 and 3 seed Indiana- Indiana has the most NCAA wins with 95 and 2nd most titles with 8 -- Marshall 1-0, Golden Goal by Jamil Roberts at the 98:41 mark of the first OT

Clemson - 2 time National Champions (32 NCAAs, Titles 1984, 1987)
Georgetown - 1 National Champions (10 NCAAs, Defending National Champs, Title 2019)
North Carolina - 2 time National Champions (26 NCAAs, College Cup Simis 3 of the last 4 years, Title 2001, 2011)
Iniana - 8 time National Champions (44 NCAAs, 21 College Cup semis, 16 College Cup Finals, Titles 1982, 1983, 1988, 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2012)

In my opinion Marshall has the best DI College soccer coach in the country in Chris Grassie. Before Marshall Chris Grassie was the HC of the University of Charleston (DII) for 6 years. In those 6 years all he done was go 99-20-8 and have 1 Sweet 16, 2 Elite 8, 1 Final 4, 2 Title games and 2 National Coach of the Year awards. He lost both title games at UC 1-0. At Marshall he is 46-24-10 but the 1st 2 seasons were under .500 at 8-10-2 and 8-9-3. Since then he is 30-5-6 with 20 ranked wins, 2 CUSA Coach of the years, 2 CUSA Titles, 2 NCAAs, 1 Sweet 16 and a College Cup National Championship.

I hope UAB can get back up and be competitive again. Because CUSA is going to get a little more challenging in the fall as Coastal Carolina will be joining.
05-20-2021 01:52 PM
Plaid Blazer Offline
Bench Warmer

What's it going to take get UAB soccer back on track? Miss the days of winning, rankings and great student support.
05-31-2021 08:02 PM
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

(05-31-2021 08:02 PM)Plaid Blazer Wrote:  What's it going to take get UAB soccer back on track? Miss the days of winning, rankings and great student support.

Talent. Soccer is maybe the one team sport that relies on talent (and that means more than just scoring goals, obviously) over anything else. A coach can lose with a bad system, but probably 90% of soccer success is talent.

When we were winning we were recruiting a lot of overseas talent. Now overseas players aren’t inherently better than domestic players, but it was a sign of how widely we were casting our net. Not so much for many years.
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2021 04:18 AM by blazr.)
06-01-2021 04:17 AM
Advertisement

UAB Schnauzer Offline
1st String

(06-01-2021 04:17 AM)blazr Wrote:  
(05-31-2021 08:02 PM)Plaid Blazer Wrote:  What's it going to take get UAB soccer back on track? Miss the days of winning, rankings and great student support.

Talent. Soccer is maybe the one team sport that relies on talent (and that means more than just scoring goals, obviously) over anything else. A coach can lose with a bad system, but probably 90% of soccer success is talent.

When we were winning we were recruiting a lot of overseas talent. Now overseas players aren’t inherently better than domestic players, but it was a sign of how widely we were casting our net. Not so much for many years.

Do you think the change in recruiting was due to budget or lazy coaches
06-02-2021 09:11 AM
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

(06-02-2021 09:11 AM)UAB Schnauzer Wrote:  

Do you think the change in recruiting was due to budget or lazy coaches

Budget. It’s not a coincidence that we had so many of our best coaches in “minor” sports move on to other schools in that decade.
06-02-2021 11:55 AM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

True you have to have talented kids no doubt. But you can win and not be the most talented on the pitch. Marshall just proved that this year. Coach Grassie is from Newcastle England but has been in Canada and the US since he was 14. And has for the most part played/coached soccer in WV since he was 17, all but 4 years as an asst at Michigan (2007-2011).

Coach Grassie does recruit international, all but 1 starter on Marshall is international. The one US starter is a WV kid and not only a WV kid but Collin Mocyunas is from Morgantown, WV (Evil Grin). And his HS he played for plays on the WVU pitch.

When Coach Grassie got to Marshall in 2017 he knew he wasn't going to get the 4-5 star HS kid or the MLS Academy kid in the US, those kind of recruits just wasn't realistic. Those kids were going to sign with the college soccer blue bloods or the elite soccer schools like Indiana, Penn State, Clemson and others. So he took the formula he had perfected at the University of Charleston and applied it at Marshall. With a National Title now in his back pocket, those doors to 4-5 star HS recruits and MLS Academy kids are starting to creak open. Listening to a few of Coach Grassie interviews after the title game he has said he has had a few 4-5 star, academy and high profile transfer portal kids reach out to him.

And what I meant when I said Marshall didn't have the most talent is because even though Coach Grassie got some really good talent internationally. In the tournament he was going up against players who are already in MLS Academies and while playing Clemson, Georgetown, North Carolina and Indiana they had 57 players in the top 100 of their recruiting classes.

(06-02-2021 09:11 AM)UAB Schnauzer Wrote:  Do you think the change in recruiting was due to budget or lazy coaches

Recruiting most sports outside of football and basketball shouldn't be that expensive. Except for maybe baseball you don't really have recruiting visits and most everything is done over the phone or video.

My guess is if you don't have decent recruits coming in then it my not be lazy but you have coaches that just can't identify the right talent that he wants or needs.
06-02-2021 12:23 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
I get what you are saying about Marshall, but college soccer is a different animal than football. Soccer is still very political, even at the academy levels, and many guys aren’t even given a look at all, so how could they be rated? Highest ranked does not always mean best.

Blazr is 100% correct that soccer is a sport in which talent can’t be overcome. It doesn’t show as much at the d1 college level, but it definitely shows at the lower college levels and high school level. Certain teams just won’t be able to compete with other teams no matter what they do.

Coach got lazy. Coach had been lazy, he just got away with it by signing great international talent. He basically did not recruit outside of the Birmingham metro area, and it was once again somewhat political. Those are the guys you need for quality depth at the worst, and he couldn’t be bothered to look for them. UAB soccer was a brand, and then it wasn’t. It’s going to take the right coach to right the ship.
06-02-2021 02:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.