Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA cancels women's golf regional at LSU
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
NCAA cancels women's golf regional at LSU
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/stor...f-regional

Wow, interesting story if you follow the link (there is a really interesting video in there too that I recommend opening up). The course had taken on a lot of rain and the NCAA just felt the course wasn't playable - but a lot of coaches (and players of course) felt the course was very playable. And they're pissed they cancelled the tournament.

The NCAA will just use pre-tournament seeding to determine who advances to the NCAA Championships.
05-13-2021 04:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Nittany_Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: PSU, Cincinnati
RE: NCAA cancels women's golf regional at LSU
Just stupidity. Give the athletes an opportunity to compete!

No it's not a perfect course, but they'd ALL rather compete on a water-logged course versus not compete at all!
05-13-2021 05:15 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(05-13-2021 05:15 PM)Nittany_Bearcat Wrote:  Just stupidity. Give the athletes an opportunity to compete!

No it's not a perfect course, but they'd ALL rather compete on a water-logged course versus not compete at all!

Unless the course itself didn't want players competing on a water logged course and damaging it
05-13-2021 07:33 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(05-13-2021 07:33 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  
(05-13-2021 05:15 PM)Nittany_Bearcat Wrote:  Just stupidity. Give the athletes an opportunity to compete!

Unless the course itself didn't want players competing on a water logged course and damaging it

From what I've read locally, the decision was the NCAA's, I haven't heard anything about club officials not wanting to have play held on the course for damage reasons. The course in question, the University Club, is private, but it is heavily intertwined with LSU, it was built on land donated by the Tiger Athletic Foundation and is the official home course of LSU's golf teams. You have to be a member of TAF to join the club and TAF dues make up part of the club's membership fees.

Nobody I know of is happy with this decision. It's unfair that all those teams didn't get a chance to compete and that the top seeds advance. IMO the NCAA excuse, "playable but but not championship playable" was ridiculous.
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2021 08:34 AM by quo vadis.)
05-14-2021 08:27 AM
EKUSteve Online
1st String

I Root For: EKU & A&M
Barstool setting up the Let Them Play Classic for the schools that are not progressing to the NCAA finals as well as the individuals.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3364...etthemplay
05-15-2021 07:42 AM
Advertisement

TexasTerror Offline
1st String

I Root For: SHSU
(05-13-2021 07:33 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  Unless the course itself didn't want players competing on a water logged course and damaging it

Did not stop the LSU men’s golf program from practicing on the course at the exact same time on Wednesday as the teams were heading home from Baton Rouge. That had to hurt and was an appropriate ending for the Athletic story.
05-15-2021 11:09 AM
BCSvsBS Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USF
How many seeds in the Championships did the SEC gain by this? That's the real story here. 05-stirthepot
05-15-2021 11:16 AM
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'

I think that is exactly what happened. The course told the NCAA "no" out of fear of damage, and they concocted that ridiculous "not in championship condition" statement. There is no motive for the NCAA to have said no. So I very much doubt they would have.
05-15-2021 12:17 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(05-15-2021 12:17 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  

I think that is exactly what happened. The course told the NCAA "no" out of fear of damage, and they concocted that ridiculous "not in championship condition" statement. There is no motive for the NCAA to have said no. So I very much doubt they would have.

Call me nuts, but I tend to take the NCAA at their word here. First, the bylaws say that the event had to be completed by May 12. So on May 12, the day the event was canceled, the NCAA was basically out of time. The event was scheduled for three days, May 10-12, and two of those were gone. Especially since rain was a threat on that final day as well.

Also, the notion of "not championship playable", which has been widely ridiculed, has some validity as well. The NCAA golf officials probably have a notion of what a championship course is. It's a course that is challenging enough to separate the wheat from the chaff among college golfers. When they are choosing courses to host regionals, they probably have that standard in mind. But if a course is waterlogged (and after seven inches of rain the previous couple days, it surely was) such that it is easier to play, or because water spots mean tees have to be moved up, altering the par of the holes, then it won't do that and the results become more random. At that point, it's not fair to the better teams and players to have to play. It's like in tennis, if I have to play Rafa Nadal on a fair court, he crushes me like a bug. But if we play on a tennis court filled with land mines, well anyone can win.

I suspect the overarching reason is the first one: The University Club is a private club, and it had a deal with the NCAA to hand over its golf course for a specified number of days, in this case May 10-12. It naturally didn't want to extend that, as that would mean days of golfing lost to the club itself. So basically, time ran out due to bad weather.

The weather was just really bad during those days. Unfortunate.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2021 08:45 AM by quo vadis.)
05-15-2021 03:46 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
A nice consolation for the teams that got cancelled:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/college...tournament

Saw this on the morning news - the tournament is today and tomorrow here in Arizona. The NCAA had to grant a waiver to allow this, which they quickly did. The Golf Course is letting them use it free of charge. Barstool Sports is helping with expenses.

https://twitter.com/RiggsBarstool/status...7563396100
05-20-2021 11:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.